Charlotte Skyline Shots

monsoon

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

277 serves a good purpose in directing thru traffic and huge semi trucks out of downtown, IMO. Other than that, I dont know why it was built other than its a fad that most cities have followed. There also needed to be a way for traffic to access 77 to and from Independence.

Thats one thing I love about Raleigh - downtown is so well connected to adjacent hood's.

• 2 weeks later...

Some letters sum this up IMO:

NCDOT

Greensboro tried to build a loop highway around downtown but that project was stopped in its tracks during its construction because of the strong opposistion from the surrounding historic neighborhoods. You can see evidence of its construction with the 4 lane median divided road with a half clover leaf intersection and the road forms a semi-circle around downtown. There is very little traffic on it today. Its now called Murrow Blvd and has stop lights. part of it has overpasses because the corridor wasnt intended to have stop light intersections. You can also see a clear path made for the loop highway south of downtown. It looks as though it was never finished.

I've heard that some cities are removing these loop highways all together.

• 2 months later...

That guy had one heck of a telescopic lens. I have that on a post card :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More impressive than the lens is how clear the sky had to be for that picture to come out! 100 years ago, those 100 mile vistas may have been commonplace, but with pollution problems these days, that's gotta be a once-in-a-decade sort of deal!

And while it's certainly more than 100 miles from Charlote by car, it's about 82 miles from Grandfather to Charlotte as the crow flies.

Hi everibody...Yes I know, I really don't come a lot in this forum (I'm wondering if somebody remembers me, perhaps not...)...Well, in fact I'm still coming, at least once per week, read some things (Wow, there are a some good new projects in Charlotte...I'll have to go take a look to this city within some years!), but I don't post anything! Well, if I post today, it's for a question, about a skyline shot.

This skyline shot : http://www.deviantart.com/view/11587996/ (sorry, I don't know how to put a foto in the forum...)

It was taken from a cemetary near gateway village. I remember me and my father passed near it one day, and another day we finally decided to go and take a walk around it. Well, this cemetary was huge, and I really found it amazing, and the view of the skyline is just incredible (at night it must be gorgeous, but sadly this cemetary is closed at night)! I was really surprised I never seen a skyline shot of Charlotte from this place (or if I saw one, I just forgot it...), because I think the view is really good, and the place is nice (however, there wasn't a lot of people this day, in this cemetary). Why did I never see shot of this cemetary and of the skyline in any forum? And I don't know the name of this cemetary too : we had a map of downtown Charlotte, a recent one, with the name of all the important places or park...And where this cemetay must be, there was nothing, I was really surprised. I would really like to know the name of this place, if someone knows.

Those are certainly late questions, but well...I ak them now! Can anibody answer me, please? :blush:

That's not a bad skyline shot, but it would be cooler if there were a baseball stadium in the foreground, rather than surface lots (this pic is at least smart enough to elevate enough to hide the lots). This angle also hides Hearst, unfortunately. But, hey, you can't capture every tower in every skyline shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived