What should happen to Representative William Jefferson?

michaelskis

According to several sources Jefferson received more than $500,000 in bribes and sought millions more in separate schemes to enrich himself by using his office to broker business deals in Africa. The charges came almost two years after investigators raided Jefferson's home in Washington and found $90,000 in cash stuffed in his freezer.

I think that it is very interesting and I think that he should go to prison for the rest of his life. What are your thoughts regarding the allegations regarding William Jefferson? Do you think that he should resign from the House?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless he has a really good reason to explain the money in his freezer, he should resign his House Seat immediately...

The rest of the punishment is contingent on him being found guilty, but I think life in prison is a bit harsh, though he is 60, so spending the rest of his life in a prison may be a possibility for him.

He is innocent until proven guilty, but I don't think that will be much of a problem for the prosecution. William Jefferson is as dirty as they come and I can't remember the last time someone looked this dirty. He should do his party and his constituents a favor by stepping down. Tom Delay did it before being convicted and the Democrats have been asking for Gonzales to step down, I agree with both.

Comparing Jefferson and Libby just because they are both public officials is a bit of a stretch. On one hand, Jefferson (if convicted) embezzled over half a million dollars while his home state was suffering the effects of Katrina, while Libby got caught up in making false statements to a grand jury - a grand jury he probably should have never been testifying in front of in the first place. He wasn't charged with any other crimes.

One of the things that I find ironic is he fully maintains that he is completely innocent of all charges and that the whole thing is a misunderstanding. I am going to love to know how the $90K misunderstood its intended location and ended up in his freezer.

The leak of a covert operative's name is an act of treason. While Libby may not have committed treason himself, by covering for those who did he is complicit in the crime. Much worse than embezzling a mere half a million dollars, which is pocket change in Washington.

I feel that outing a CIA agent is in fact treason.

Remember how angry George H.W. Bush became when the news of this came out? The President's father had also been chief of the CIA in the 1970s. He understands the seriousness of this.

All the lives put in danger because of the outing is enough for serious charges to be filed.

But back to Jefferson! Who cares whether he's a Dem or Rep? If he broke the law he should be punished. I also don't care if Libby is a Rep or Dem. He broke the law and now he'll have to pay.

I feel that outing a CIA agent is in fact treason.

Remember how angry George H.W. Bush became when the news of this came out? The President's father had also been chief of the CIA in the 1970s. He understands the seriousness of this.

All the lives put in danger because of the outing is enough for serious charges to be filed.

Ahh, it's okay. Bush will pardon Libby just before he leaves office, sealing his place as one of the worst presidents in American history.

As for Jefferson, if he is guilty of the crimes charged against him, throw him in prison. It just adds to Louisiana's reputation for dirty politics... and I'm afraid it isn't the Republicans that are guilty for the majority of that down there.

Archived