Road Rants!

fla_tiger

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At some point they will have to stack the interstate. Its the only viable option.

I think they can squeeze another lane into the existing right of way in most places (if they close the Perkins ramps )with the exception of the area between the lakes and the 110 split.

That's very expensive work though.

I'd like to see Airline moving again before they undertake that.

I think they can squeeze another lane into the existing right of way in most places (if they close the Perkins ramps )with the exception of the area between the lakes and the 110 split.

That's very expensive work though.

I'd like to see Airline moving again before they undertake that.

I'd like to see another bridge as well as all of our other roads moving again before we think about that section.

I'd like to see another bridge as well as all of our other roads moving again before we think about that section.

It worked with success in New Orleans. I personally think there is the volume here for either a second or new and improved span, but the question is whether the state feels the same way.

It worked with success in New Orleans. I personally think there is the volume here for either a second or new and improved span, but the question is whether the state feels the same way.

There is more than enough volume for another span, the state feels the same way when the corporations who do business from the Port of Greater Baton Rouge complain or decide to take their tax dollars and jobs elsewhere because the risk of traffic congestion. It would be expensive and time consuming seeing as the I-110/I-10 intersection would need to be rebuilt but it should be higher up on the priority list than widening I-10 from split to split.

I'm not so sure the problem is with the bridge itself as much as the approach span (only 4 lanes) on the west side and that obscenely foolish I-10/110 split going eastbound on the east side. I've been on that bridge countless times and had to use it every day for several years.....problems on the bridge itself were far fewer than backups caused by the horrid design of the approach to the superstructure or the 110/10 split.

If those two can be fixed, the traffic problems on the bridge would be all but eliminated. That would require some expensive widening work between the la1 off/on ramps on the bridge deck all the way to La415. The on ramp from LA1 would have to be extended farther up the deck as well. The curve on eastbound 10 at 110 would have to be banked more appropriately and include both wider lanes (and none that stop abruptly at Washington street) and a shoulder.

Even if those projects make it through, the section between 110 and College would have to be widened. An expanded capacity bridge would simply funnel traffic to a functionally obsolete freeway....and I also think that the 190 bridge needs to be upgraded significantly if for no other reason but operational redudancy.

If one day, heaven forbid, a plane crashes or a structural collapse causes the long term shut down of one of the bridges, we have to be able to depend on the other for economic stability.

The juggling act of allocating money to improve the current span will be met with resistance every step of the way by those who think the money would be better spent on a bypass route. So most likely we will end up with gridlock and neither an improved I-10 bridge nor a bypass route. 

I agree with you that it is not the bridge itself that causes the problems, but the laughable design of the approaches. 

As far as potential bridge failures...I seriously fear for the people and businesses that depend on the LA-1 bridge over the Intracoastal. It is a disaster waiting to happen. With everyone dragging their feet on the Hwy 415 extension, it will be many years before an alternate route across the canal is available. 

The juggling act of allocating money to improve the current span will be met with resistance every step of the way by those who think the money would be better spent on a bypass route. So most likely we will end up with gridlock and neither an improved I-10 bridge nor a bypass route. 

I agree with you that it is not the bridge itself that causes the problems, but the laughable design of the approaches. 

As far as potential bridge failures...I seriously fear for the people and businesses that depend on the LA-1 bridge over the Intracoastal. It is a disaster waiting to happen. With everyone dragging their feet on the Hwy 415 extension, it will be many years before an alternate route across the canal is available. 

Speaking of the 415 extension, instead of building the road so it terminates at La-1 in Brusly, they should dig up more cash and extend Hwy 415 to Enterprise Blvd. in Plaquemine, creating a parallel route to La-1. 

I'm not so sure the problem is with the bridge itself as much as the approach span (only 4 lanes) on the west side and that obscenely foolish I-10/110 split going eastbound on the east side. I've been on that bridge countless times and had to use it every day for several years.....problems on the bridge itself were far fewer than backups caused by the horrid design of the approach to the superstructure or the 110/10 split.

If those two can be fixed, the traffic problems on the bridge would be all but eliminated. That would require some expensive widening work between the la1 off/on ramps on the bridge deck all the way to La415. The on ramp from LA1 would have to be extended farther up the deck as well. The curve on eastbound 10 at 110 would have to be banked more appropriately and include both wider lanes (and none that stop abruptly at Washington street) and a shoulder.

Even if those projects make it through, the section between 110 and College would have to be widened. An expanded capacity bridge would simply funnel traffic to a functionally obsolete freeway....and I also think that the 190 bridge needs to be upgraded significantly if for no other reason but operational redudancy.

If one day, heaven forbid, a plane crashes or a structural collapse causes the long term shut down of one of the bridges, we have to be able to depend on the other for economic stability.

You make an excellent point. Except as the westbank continues to grow (not by current rates but speculative as the fact that it's closer to employment centers in EBR as well as cheaper than Ascension) with the completion of these hopeful projects, demand will increase and traffic will increase as well, making these project prematurely obsolete.

The Washington St exit may need to be eliminated in this process. I'm hoping for an extended westbank expressway with another bridge and freeway linking it to I-10/I-12 in one way or another.

There are plans to upgrade the 190 bridge, I think they were approved if memory serves me correctly. We absolutely cannot depend on the current 190 bridge alone, nor the Horace Wilkinson.

Don't fear for the people or the businesses, fear for our economy and the opportunity to lure more business to the port as the Panama Canal completes it's widening construction if it ever happens. Jefferson Parish has their bridge and it has just recently been upgraded to serve suburban New Orleans. We haven't been so lucky in the past 40 years.

Speaking of the 415 extension, instead of building the road so it terminates at La-1 in Brusly, they should dig up more cash and extend Hwy 415 to Enterprise Blvd. in Plaquemine, creating a parallel route to La-1. 

I wouldn't mind another bridge across the bayou for 415 to terminate at Belleview Dr.

Don't fear for the people or the businesses, fear for our economy and the opportunity to lure more business to the port as the Panama Canal completes it's widening construction if it ever happens. Jefferson Parish has their bridge and it has just recently been upgraded to serve suburban New Orleans. We haven't been so lucky in the past 40 years.

You'll have to forgive me for not worrying o much about some industry that may or may not come. I have to think of the thousands on both sides of the canal who will be cut off from their jobs. The threat to the industry and economy that is already in place. 

The bridge across the bayou is already in place. Enterprise crosses through the back of Plaquemine and intersects with Belleview. It continues as some other road (a name that escapes me), turns back to the river and terminates at La-1 below Plaquemine. 

I agree 100% that the approaches on BOTH sides are outdated and would improve the flow of traffic. Especially updates on the east side at the I10/110 split, where I have personally been an advocate for interstate decking.

But even after these updates are made, it still doesn't change the fact that traffic counts over the HW bridge are WAY too high. I10 is a major national connector carring large commercial traffic. As it stands, there are only 3 lanes each direction for vehicular and tractor trailer traffic to utilize. Name me another MAJOR city carrying a large and heavily trafficked interstate that crosses a river with only 3 lanes (2 continuous). Additionally, the lack of any shoulder increases the danger as well as congestion after an accident has occured.

If we continue to upgrade and improve our highway systems, the creation of a second or newly designed span will be ineveitable.

I know we are talking serious capital requirments, but it is the price of growth and development. Perhaps a small toll could be a proper solution, just as the Crecent CIty Connection used back in 1988 to fund its second span.

Food for thought, but I am a believer in bridge upgrade.

I agree 100% that the approaches on BOTH sides are outdated and would improve the flow of traffic. Especially updates on the east side at the I10/110 split, where I have personally been an advocate for interstate decking.

But even after these updates are made, it still doesn't change the fact that traffic counts over the HW bridge are WAY too high. I10 is a major national connector carring large commercial traffic. As it stands, there are only 3 lanes each direction for vehicular and tractor trailer traffic to utilize. Name me another MAJOR city carrying a large and heavily trafficked interstate that crosses a river with only 3 lanes (2 continuous). Additionally, the lack of any shoulder increases the danger as well as congestion after an accident has occured.

If we continue to upgrade and improve our highway systems, the creation of a second or newly designed span will be ineveitable.

I know we are talking serious capital requirments, but it is the price of growth and development. Perhaps a small toll could be a proper solution, just as the Crecent CIty Connection used back in 1988 to fund its second span.

Food for thought, but I am a believer in bridge upgrade.

There is Mobile. Two lanes of I-10 through the George Wallace Tunnel and on the Jubilee Parkway. Plans to widen Jubilee to eight lanes and replacing the tunnel have been on the table for years. So far nothing. Of course, the tunnel gets like 70,000 vehicles per day; while Horace Wilkinson gets 110,000+ I believe. Depends on what your cutoff is for "major interstate."

Then there is the Interstate Bridge of I-5 that crosses the Columbia River in Portland. As of 2006, 130,000 vehicles per day cross using three lanes in both directions. Traffic is awful. Plans for a replacement with 6 lanes in both directions seem dead. 

And the James River Bridge in Richmond carrying six lanes of 1-95. 

The approach spans of the latter two I listed aren't as mucked up as ours are, though. 

It would be beautiful if there were at least eight lanes crossing the river unimpeded here in BR. There's so much space to expand on the West Bank. 

There is Mobile. Two lanes of I-10 through the George Wallace Tunnel and on the Jubilee Parkway. Plans to widen Jubilee to eight lanes and replacing the tunnel have been on the table for years. So far nothing. Of course, the tunnel gets like 70,000 vehicles per day; while Horace Wilkinson gets 110,000+ I believe. Depends on what your cutoff is for "major interstate."

Then there is the Interstate Bridge of I-5 that crosses the Columbia River in Portland. As of 2006, 130,000 vehicles per day cross using three lanes in both directions. Traffic is awful. Plans for a replacement with 6 lanes in both directions seem dead. 

And the James River Bridge in Richmond carrying six lanes of 1-95. 

The approach spans of the latter two I listed aren't as mucked up as ours are, though. 

It would be beautiful if there were at least eight lanes crossing the river unimpeded here in BR. There's so much space to expand on the West Bank. 

Nice research! Thanks for the comparables! Each of those cities is comparable in size and traffic capacity to Baton Rouge. Of course, we have the 9th largest port in the country, larger than the other cities (Mobile is 10) which adds 18 wheeler traffic that the other cities may not have. A new span could not only be ultra-functional, but could also be a flagship and landmark architecture feature for South Louisiana.

But as a realist, this won't happen for minimum 10-20 years. But I do think it will eventually happen.

Nice research! Thanks for the comparables! Each of those cities is comparable in size and traffic capacity to Baton Rouge. Of course, we have the 9th largest port in the country, larger than the other cities (Mobile is 10) which adds 18 wheeler traffic that the other cities may not have. A new span could not only be ultra-functional, but could also be a flagship and landmark architecture feature for South Louisiana.

But as a realist, this won't happen for minimum 10-20 years. But I do think it will eventually happen.

I'm inclined to agree with you. After you said something, I just started looking around to see if there were any other cities with problems like this. I was surprised to find one in Portland. They have two separate spans there; 3 lanes each. I was even more shocked to find out that the older of the two is nearing 100 years old. It's good to know we aren't alone. 

I'm inclined to agree with you. After you said something, I just started looking around to see if there were any other cities with problems like this. I was surprised to find one in Portland. They have two separate spans there; 3 lanes each. I was even more shocked to find out that the older of the two is nearing 100 years old. It's good to know we aren't alone. 

There was a show on the Discovery Channel in which they "showcased" American cities and our failing infrastructure. We are amongst many cities in this country with issues like our own.

St Louis

Memphis

Omaha

Louisville

All three of those cities have a major east-west route crossing into their city with 6 lanes.

The I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge isn't the problem. It's the lack of alternatives to the south and the horrible approach/departure design on the east bank as it merges with I-110 and the West Bank at La1. Both can be fixed.

However...adding a 4th lane to the I-10 bridge outside of the current super structure would require a complete tear down and rebuild. It would be easier to widen the 190 bridge or to build an entirely new bridge in Brusly for local tragic. The existing I-10 bridge deck is as wide as it can possibly be....and if we continue to maintain it, it will last longer than any of us will live.

The I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge isn't the problem. It's the lack of alternatives to the south and the horrible approach/departure design on the east bank as it merges with I-110 and the West Bank at La1. Both can be fixed.

However...adding a 4th lane to the I-10 bridge outside of the current super structure would require a complete tear down and rebuild. It would be easier to widen the 190 bridge or to build an entirely new bridge in Brusly for local tragic. The existing I-10 bridge deck is as wide as it can possibly be....and if we continue to maintain it, it will last longer than any of us will live.

The problem with the 190 bridge is that it basically goes no where; trucks and commuters use it who are going up to Zachary or Natchez. At least Memphis has the I-55 and I-40 where they intersect in West Memphis.

A new bridge new Brusly and a reconstruction of the LA 1 and I-110 interchange should be on the short list as far as transportation goes. .

Supposedly(early 70's?) when designing the I-10 route thru BR....the powers-that-be had them shift the original plans; that originally would have taken the bridge a lil' further south; instead moving it closer to downtown...causing the crappy 10/110 merge

The southern by-pass starting in WBR; would be a nice option extending Hwy 415 south across Intracoastal Canal (also another option for La.1 with hurricane evacuations)  with new bridge at Brusly/Addis connecting Hwy 30 (with upgrade) hooking it around the new casino; then along the industrial corridor back down into Ascension near Tanger Mall....but the Village at Longwood would impede this with all that open space...the western by-pass looks like a viable option.

Nice info Garrett_225 :thumbsup:

Archived