Road Rants!

fla_tiger

^^Yes, we need to demand more transportation money from our lawmakers. Maybe call some of these guys out on their BS instead of letting them give millions away to their populist project of the day.

We need to keep an eye out on some of those guys. We can't have them spending hundreds of thousands supporting churches or pointless projects in the middle of nowhere. Millions are wasted in this way every year, and hardly anyone makes a peep.

There are a couple of watchdog sites out there...I try to keep up with them.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can anything be done ; ie synchronization, of the three traffic signals along Florida Blvd at Cortana, Oak Villa and Monterrey?

The sheer closeness of the three coupled with the reduction of lanes from three to two creates a snail-paced crawl along this very heavily travelled major street both am and pm.

Can a citizen file a direct request with City-Parish PWD or does this go to the state, in which case it will never be addressed?

Hey flatiger...maybe you could "Ask the Advocate" on their website; they usually give an answer within a month or so. I think Pete Newkirk will be the one to answer this question??

So many traffic signals along the major corridors need synchronization. There is some type of plan to do this aroundthe city costing $millions they were supposed to get started on within a year or so?? I know downtown will be starting this soon.

• 1 month later...

The "single-lane" I-12/10 Fly-Over is a complete joke/obsolete during rush hour. They need to "add" an extra lane on the fly-over. How can just "ONE" lane properly link two Interstates??? In the mornings that one lane of traffic is starting to back things up on I-12; people slamming on their breaks, sudden jerky lane shifts; chaos + the obsession with thier stinkin' cell phones. Maybe if I-12 westbound actually had a direct way on to Essen they could eliminate some of this problem. I -12 was poorly planned thru that stretch.

The newer Essen off ramp onto I-12 eastbound has been great!

I agree richy, I'm just not sure how they would go about adding a 2nd lane to that flyover. I have always wondered why 12 didn't have an exit for Essen. Course where exactly would they put it. I think possibly what they should think about doing is when they widen 10 from the split they should have the 1 lane turning into 2 when you have the merge onto 10, one lane to merge and one lane going straight to Essen. Just like I feel that between Essen and Bluebonnet there should be a continuous exit lane. That gives people a little more time to merge onto 10 and off of 10 to exit. Course leave it up to me and 10 would be set up like it is in NOLA around Causeway and Clearview, with 2 exit lanes in between the two. I think that would be a marvelous thing here in BR. I think it would take alot of pressure off of the interstate. Maybe we should recommend this to DOTD when they widen 10.

You are exactly right twstd, I could not agree more. We need to find out what DOTD's plans are. Continuous exit lanes to spell relief; and should be a no brainer to them.

They could also use continuous exit lanes on I-12 between Airline Hwy. and Sherwood Forest Blvd.

Airline Hwy. used to be a traffic nightmare; but the additional lanes between Florida Blvd. and Coursey Blvd. have made a HUGE difference in traffic flow. I actually use Airline now; where before I tried avoiding it. And the innovative(odd) designed Airline/Siegen,Sherwood intersection is a big improvement too; even if it's confusing to some.

You are exactly right twstd, I could not agree more. We need to find out what DOTD's plans are. Continuous exit lanes to spell relief; and should be a no brainer to them.

They could also use continuous exit lanes on I-12 between Airline Hwy. and Sherwood Forest Blvd.

Airline Hwy. used to be a traffic nightmare; but the additional lanes between Florida Blvd. and Coursey Blvd. have made a HUGE difference in traffic flow. I actually use Airline now; where before I tried avoiding it. And the innovative(odd) designed Airline/Siegen,Sherwood intersection is a big improvement too; even if it's confusing to some.

OMG!!! thank you for bringing that up, I had forgotten to put that. YES!!! continuous exit lanes between Airline and Sherwood is sooo needed. I live in Sherwood Forest and I can not tell you how annoying it is in that area. Just like I have been saying that clover leaf on Airline/12 is too small, there not nearly enough room for the people to merge in and off of the interstate. There is alot of room there that they could expand that entrance/exit lane.

• 4 months later...

This mornings newspaper replied to my question in "Ask The Advocate". Needless to say I was not to thilled with the answer. This type of response is what keeps BR held back IMO :stop:

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Q: Why is there a right-turn signal, but no right-turn lane going westbound on Perkins Road at South Acadian Thruway? Many cars wishing to make a right turn at the intersection cannot because the first car in line is going straight, blocking the cars wanting to turn right, making them stuck in needless gridlock.

A: While some improvements are planned at the intersection under the city-parish

This mornings newspaper replied to my question in "Ask The Advocate". Needless to say I was not to thilled with the answer. This type of response is what keeps BR held back IMO :stop:

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Q: Why is there a right-turn signal, but no right-turn lane going westbound on Perkins Road at South Acadian Thruway? Many cars wishing to make a right turn at the intersection cannot because the first car in line is going straight, blocking the cars wanting to turn right, making them stuck in needless gridlock.

A: While some improvements are planned at the intersection under the city-parish's Green Light Program, a schematic of the plans shows no projected addition of a right turn lane going westbound on Perkins Road.

East Baton Rouge Parish Department of Public Works Director Pete Newkirk and Green Light Program Manager Brad Ponder said the main purpose of the improvements at this intersection is to construct additional left turn lanes to increase the number of vehicles that can get through the intersection at peak traffic hours. There are no plans to add additional dedicated right turn lanes at this intersection.

"Please note this intersection is still in preliminary design and is subject to adjustment; however, the proposed westbound right-turn lane for Perkins onto Acadian will not change," Ponder said.

That was an excellent question Richy. You are so right about that intersection. I hope that with the Green Light Plan those left turn lanes are put on Acadian when you are turning onto Perkins East bound. There is only one left turn lane that backs up so bad during rush hour traffic. There really needs to be either 2 turn lanes or green lights that allow both turning vehicles and those going straight to stay on at the same time. It makes no sense if the turning vehicles loose their turn signal and those going straight keep their green light, then what happens is the turning vehicles back up onto the other lanes which in return backs everything up. Again simple fixes that should have been done LONG ago. I say we should be on some kind of commission with the Green Light Plan. LOL Any word on your inquire on the annexation of land for the city?

Thanks twistd. I think these decision makers need to report to us here on the UP Forums first :lol: And get our feedback.

No, I have not called them yet, I guess I will one of these days.

Yeah they need to consult us and other residents of the city. I HATE that they pay millions and millions of dollars to have someone from out of state come and study OUR road problems. We could save the city alot of money if they would just consult the residents. We don't need someone from out of state to come and tell us what our problem is only to have them come up with a plan that F's it up even more....

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of what they did in Dallas, but BR simply doesn't have enough room for something that massive. I still think a big problem is the fact of that big curve that you have to essentially slow down to 25. Not to mention you go from 3 lanes to 2 lanes getting on the bridge only to go back to 3 lanes..... it really needs to be 3 lanes all the way threw. I think the entrance from 110 going west need to be reconfigured to make a long entrance ramp. Regardless of what they do they need to mitigate some property around it.

I like the idea of what they did in Dallas, but BR simply doesn't have enough room for something that massive. I still think a big problem is the fact of that big curve that you have to essentially slow down to 25. Not to mention you go from 3 lanes to 2 lanes getting on the bridge only to go back to 3 lanes..... it really needs to be 3 lanes all the way threw. I think the entrance from 110 going west need to be reconfigured to make a long entrance ramp. Regardless of what they do they need to mitigate some property around it.

i agree, the 10 / 110 spit is the most rediculous thing in the city.

I also thing that interstate 10 should be widened to 3 lanes through the whole state with huge shoulders along with 12. May be we won't use all the lanes but it would help facilitate evacuations.

i agree, the 10 / 110 spit is the most rediculous thing in the city.

I also thing that interstate 10 should be widened to 3 lanes through the whole state with huge shoulders along with 12. May be we won't use all the lanes but it would help facilitate evacuations.

Absolutely........ so all2neat where do you hail from?

you know thats the thing that gets me. Texas plans their highways so that even if initially they didn't build them as massive or extravagant as they should be at first, they always have the option to widen and add numerous lanes when the money comes along or the demand is for it. Every time we need to do something, we have to buy somebody's house and tear it down.

Either way, This is the growing pains of a city. I don't live or know anyone who lives in that neighborhood and would hate to trivialize their right or life there but I think for the city as a whole and all of the interstate commuters its more important to find ways to alleviate that horrible mess. The engineering is plain stupid. They do need to build a mix master there that can handle the enormous amount of traffic there. Shoo, Im sure i could engineer something 10 times better than whats currently there myself. lol :)

i10110.jpg

I highlighted the area that it would seem they could use. don't know if that is gonna seem like too much to you all, but i dont think they need that much even, i just think they need to make the angle of the curve longer, and make the curve much higher, and they can have at least two go directly into the highway

Thanks for moving this interesting topic to "Road Rants"! And thanks for the graphic too. I totally understand where yall are coming from. This is the biggest blunder along I-10 from L.A. to Jacksonville. :rolleyes: What exactly were the engineers thinking?? That curve was the only stretch of "one-laned" Interstate 10 from coast-to-coast. So then they somehow added the lane on that ramp at the expense of Downtown I-110 cutting their three-lanes to only two-lanes.

Some houses will just have to be spared unfortunately I guess. I'm not sure how they add another lane to the Mighty Miss. River Bridge??? Adding another lane all the way thru to the 10/12 split hopefully might happen one day?? The Perkins Rd overpass businesses, etc. have fought this idea in the past.

And "Add" another lane for the 12/10 looped fly-over at the split too. All the people coming east from I-12 have no to get stright access to Essen Lane south. So they back-up traffic going on the one-laned fly-over. This may have worked in the 70's & 80's; but is totally inadequate now!

Widen I-10 to Tanger Mall in Gonzales or Hwy.22 to the Sunshine Bridge. Widen I-12 from O'Neal Lane thru Hammond to the Northshore and Slidell. (No 18-wheelers allowed in Left lane; like I-75 in Fla. and Atchafaylaya Expressway)

Add continuous turn lane in the short strech of I-12 between Airline Hwy. & Sherwood Forest Blvd. This would help traffic flow during rush-hour big-time!!

There is still plenty highways to improve to keep this thread rollin'.

Nice work there all2neat :thumbsup: I like your idea of the loop(I-410) being closer in to BR. The exact route is going to be very tricky. Hoo Shoo Too Road residents want their loop nowhere near them. The new city of Central doesn't want a big freeway splitting up there town in two. I can "never" see a new Miss. River Bridge (north) between Airline Hwy(190) and the new Audubon Bridge now being built near St.Francisville.

Your rout follows over Bayou Manchac for some distance; would all that be elevated?? I agree BR's traffic problem is BAD! But it would be ashame to see them shred-up all that greenspace including following the Amite River inside of that flood plain; watershed.

BR seems to be too landlocked to have a perfect loop route.

IMO the southern stretch from WBR to Ascension back up to Livingston is more urgent.

a problem i noticed on 10 is...comming from new orleans after you pass the split and college you have the Bridge that has thoes 2 left lanes all tied up....and the 3rd right lane that usually moves a little it's gettin tied pg more and more with people taking these side streets than trying to jump back on the interstate ....so u have to let them wedge on in 1 car at a time and that lane begings to run slower than the other 2 lanes....we need a FIX A.S.A.P.

I think a HUGE problem with the bridge is those sharp curves. You have to basically slow down to 35 to go up and coming from the west you have the two lanes that have the sharp curve and you are basically having to merge into one lane in the curve. Those same two lanes coming off the bridge should still be there until at least S. Acadian. As far as the sharp curves I don't know what they could do to align the bridge with 10 better. That would be a massive reconstruction project that I simply don't see them doing.

I realize having elevated roadways is more costly but I think that would be best. I also think it's very important to have it tight to the city and sometimes you have to take people in Central and tell them to shut up and take one for the team. This proposed route would probably come within a 1/2 mile of my home so it's not like I'm drawing it away from my place. If they bring the loop in past walker it will be a complete waste, very few people will be able to use it and it will be too long for people to justify using it that are just passing through. Who wants to go on an 80 mile detour.. I think most will take their chances that they break even sitting through traffic.

I think a HUGE problem with the bridge is those sharp curves. You have to basically slow down to 35 to go up and coming from the west you have the two lanes that have the sharp curve and you are basically having to merge into one lane in the curve. Those same two lanes coming off the bridge should still be there until at least S. Acadian. As far as the sharp curves I don't know what they could do to align the bridge with 10 better. That would be a massive reconstruction project that I simply don't see them doing.

I think we all realize that this will never happen, but we can dream can't we :D the sharp curve wouldn't be so bad if one of the lanes didn't end right way. i think if you do away with the washington st exit and onramp and make it a pass through lane it will go a long way. People can use the Government Street and Highland exit to get to that area if needed.

I think we all realize that this will never happen, but we can dream can't we :D the sharp curve wouldn't be so bad if one of the lanes didn't end right way. i think if you do away with the washington st exit and onramp and make it a pass through lane it will go a long way. People can use the Government Street and Highland exit to get to that area if needed.

It was proposed a while back to make 2 dedicated lanes on I-10 at the 110 split and closing down that first exist there. It is going to happen when they widen I-10 from College drive to the bridge and from the bridge to LA 415.

There will be an additional lane added to the eastbound lane with the removal of the Wasington Exit and another lane added with a new Highland Road on ramp that will end at Dalrymple drive. I don't think they are changing the radius of the westbound curve, though...or adding another lane there. The new exit will be off the I-110 part of that section, and you won't be able to exit from westbound 10 to highland road, but they are keeping the westbound washington street and Dalrymple exists over there for that.

I honestly think they need to rip out a lot of things in that area to change the radius of that turn....buy out the homes (and then more to create a buffer of vegitation). Closing down the Washington exit is a great idea, and in it's place people should be able to enter and exit I-10 at Highland Road. That can keep an entrance/exit in the area yet keep people from having to cross over from 110 (really, is it that hard to exit at Government/convention/florida street and follow the surface streets to your destination?).

That would require some houses to be removed, but that is progress. As long as they are given market rate (they are usually given market rate plus a moving allowance and relocation services), then I am okay with it.

Archived