Road Rants!

fla_tiger

St Louis

Memphis

Omaha

Louisville

All three of those cities have a major east-west route crossing into their city with 6 lanes.

The I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge isn't the problem. It's the lack of alternatives to the south and the horrible approach/departure design on the east bank as it merges with I-110 and the West Bank at La1. Both can be fixed.

However...adding a 4th lane to the I-10 bridge outside of the current super structure would require a complete tear down and rebuild. It would be easier to widen the 190 bridge or to build an entirely new bridge in Brusly for local tragic. The existing I-10 bridge deck is as wide as it can possibly be....and if we continue to maintain it, it will last longer than any of us will live.

While the cities you have listed do carry major interstates with only 3 lanes, they also have more bridges to handle traffic than we do.

In Louisville, you have 3 road bridges and a pedestian bridge.

In St. Louis, you have 5 road bridges

In Omaha, you have 3 road bridges and a pedestrian bridge

In Memphis, however, there are also only 2 bridges, I55 and I40.

We only have 2 bridges, one that is 3 lanes and one that is 2 lanes. The entire bridge and interchange on each terminal needs to be updated to handle not only the current capacity, but also capacity 30+ years from now; one that has the proper lanes and that has a safe shoulder area to alleviate congestion caused by accidents.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the cities you have listed do carry major interstates with only 3 lanes, they also have more bridges to handle traffic than we do.

In Louisville, you have 3 road bridges and a pedestian bridge.

In St. Louis, you have 5 road bridges

In Omaha, you have 3 road bridges and a pedestrian bridge

In Memphis, however, there are also only 2 bridges, I55 and I40.

We only have 2 bridges, one that is 3 lanes and one that is 2 lanes. The entire bridge and interchange on each terminal needs to be updated to handle not only the current capacity, but also capacity 30+ years from now; one that has the proper lanes and that has a safe shoulder area to alleviate congestion caused by accidents.

The Bridges in Memphis, surprisingly, each carry fewer than 50,000 vehicles per day, on average. 

The problem with the 190 bridge is that it basically goes no where; trucks and commuters use it who are going up to Zachary or Natchez. At least Memphis has the I-55 and I-40 where they intersect in West Memphis.

A new bridge new Brusly and a reconstruction of the LA 1 and I-110 interchange should be on the short list as far as transportation goes. .

I agree with that.

For a long time the 190 bridge was the only way across outside of the Port Allen ferry.

I think we can convert 190 to a freeway between Plank and the bridge very easily, as well as the section on the West Bank between the bridge approach to LA1. LA1 already has service roads in most places and would now only need overpasses.

That route, along with I-110, would provide an better alternate route and a little operational redudency.

But you are right....with the massive industrial expansions going on between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, bridge crossings (freeways or not) are needed- especially around Brusly. There simply isn't enough developable land on that side of the river to house the workforce in those plants. Thousands commute from Baton Rouge every day as it is.

Another thing: the Tuscaloosa Marine Shale play in the northern Felicianas, Pointe Coupee, Avoyelles and south western Mississippi may not be viable today, but it's just a matter of time before oil prices and drilling technology make it lucrative. If Metro Baton Rouge wants to be the center for those high paying oil service jobs for 20+ years, they'll push the state very hard to upgrade the highway network north of town.....including everything from Central and Zachary to the Ms border Otherwise, that will split between McComb, New Roads, Natchez, and Marksville. Projects like widening and improving the north south routes like highway 67, highway 19, highway 10, the grid around the BR airport (which will be the primary airport for this), the 190 bridge, and highway 61 in the northern part of the parish. This should happen before that area turns into another Prarieville. Baton Rouge based banks and retailers would also be wise to prepare plans to expand their businesses in that area.

The Audobon Bridge made the only viable bridge crossing to the south of this in Louisiana. That's good but it's not enough. Louisiana already has an advantage over Mississippi in that area, but there is a unique opportunity here to expand before the inevitable growth. Our highway and rail network in the Capitol region is horribly inadequate- especially north-south routes.

In this case, you know where the growth will be and why it's coming. Louisiana should exploit that. It's rare we get crystal balls in life, but this is one of those times where we can get a peak into the future.

It's so strange....Baton Rouge may be one of the few places on earth where the entire energy supply chain (upstream and down) will all exist within 75 miles of town. Drilling and oil services, refining, land and sea distribution, and even the big industry that consumes it will all be there......despite our horrible transportation network. We need to figure out how to keep the financial business that will come from this in town and away from Dallas or Houston.

I've noticed in the past few weeks, DPW has been repairing many segments of potholes and bumps on major roads. They redid the entire interesection at Dalrymple and May streets (was in horrible condition) and have begun to repair different segments all along Dalrymple up until Broussard. I wonder how many different spots in the city they plan on repairing? Goodness knows the roads are in such crappy shape.

That being said...They have really been dragging their feet on repaving Stanford. This is the second or third time since the reconfiguration of the Stanford/Acadian and Perkins intersection. I wonder why this has been such an issue for them?

That patchwork they did on Stanford the first time around wasn't meant to be permanent. It was a quick fix so they could pause the work...supposedly only for football season so they could have all lanes open on game days. But they took so long to restart the project--and now to finicrap--game day traffic is right around the corner yet again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think we will start seeing some capitulation in growth rates of the Baton Rouge metro without significantly more investment in road and highway infrastructure- particularly on federal and state highways.

The in fill that you may see in Baton Rouge won't be enough to sustain a 3+% growth rate in the entire metro. Suburban development going forward needs to be encourage within EBR, northern AP and far western LP instead of even farther down I10 and I12.

Roads like Airline Highway, Hooper, Plank, and Jefferson (in SE BR), Sullivan, etc are far to inadequate to handle the development that already exists.

They might be able to get around it. It will open up more land for development and allow for better connectivity.

That intersection is terrible.

Ugly, bad sight lines, bad visibility, bad pavement, and it's been functionally obsolete for at least a decade. Antioch needs to cross Jefferson and loop back around north west through Long Farm and meet up somewhere with Baringer Foreman. They do not need another light on Airline.

Are they going to extend Jones Creek to Baringer?

Hopefully someone, somewhere sees the need to widen Airline in this part of town as well as the need to realign the Pecue/Industrialplex intersection.

Don't forget Stumberg is being extended to intersect at Airline and Pecue.

I agree. Airline needs to be widened to at minimum LA42 in Prairieville. Unfortunately DOTD doesn't agree as my last conversation with them they indicated no plans to do anything with Airline.

That intersection is terrible.

Ugly, bad sight lines, bad visibility, bad pavement, and it's been functionally obsolete for at least a decade. Antioch needs to cross Jefferson and loop back around north west through Long Farm and meet up somewhere with Baringer Foreman. They do not need another light on Airline.

Are they going to extend Jones Creek to Baringer?

Hopefully someone, somewhere sees the need to widen Airline in this part of town as well as the need to realign the Pecue/Industrialplex intersection.

I don't find it that bad during normal hours. I use it everyday but I don't have conventional work hours.

Baringer Foreman will need to be widened as well, Long Farm is going to expose the inefficiency of the roads in Old Jefferson. 

Never heard anything about extending Jones Creek, would be a MAJOR improvement and cut down on Antioch traffic by probably 50%.

The Pecue/Industriplex intersection is fine, they should have had them aligned when Industriplex was built. However, I don't think much is wrong with that current intersection.

Looking at the Green Light Project map...it would appear that the Jones Creek Rd extension will not connect with Barringer-Foreman...but hook around the Old Jefferson subdivision(to the west); stopping at Jefferson Hwy. 4-laneing Barringer-Foreman inside of the subdivision is never going to happen...but that would have been the most ideal connection

Extending Antioch Rd would be nice; but it's still not in the works; the intersection w Jefferson Hwy has gotta be on of the worst! A make shift right-turn lane full of pot holes that's actually a parking lot for a small business. Trimming all of the thick green overgrowth & straightening the big curve next the mighty old Oak tree might be a good idea as well....

The Stumberg/Pecue connection going around the new Woman's Hosp. is gonna be nice!

Wonder WHEN the next phase of widening is planned for Old Hammond Hwy east of Blvd de Province to O'Neal Ln?? The major(only) east-west route between Hwy 190 & I-12...

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

The traffic has been clogged up following the flood....Old Hammond Hwy was horrible last week...still this week So Sherwood Forest Blvd & Airline Hwy & others have been thick too...

Bad to worse: Commutes double, triple for some in Baton Rouge in post-flood traffic nightmare

As if things weren't already bad enough on the Baton Rouge's congested highways and byways, drivers have noticed their daily commuting time to and from work double — and even triple — in the days following the historic flooding. 

"I've had people say to me: If so many cars flooded, why does it seem like there is more traffic than before?" state Transportation Secretary Shawn Wilson said Tuesday. "We don't have any numerical data right now, but typically after a disaster, you have disrupted driving patterns."

Renae Friedley, who lives off Old Jefferson Highway in Baton Rouge, said it normally took her 30 minutes to get to her job, located near the intersection of Old Hammond Highway and Tara Boulevard, before floodwaters ravaged homes and washed out bridges. 

Now that same drive takes up to an hour and 30 minutes, she said. 

Angela Collins said her once 30-minute daily commute from her home in Addis to her job in Baton Rouge has doubled, post-flooding. 

Denham Springs resident Shanell Carney said the more heavily congested roadways have increased her commute to work by at least 45 minutes. Even going to her gym for a workout, an approximately 30-minute drive, now feels like "a trip to New Orleans," she said.

*rest of article

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/weather_traffic/article_4e23c818-6ef7-11e6-81d6-8f4d2212e937.html

People are taking residence with friends, family, etc.  It puts a strain on everything from the road network to grocery stores trying to keep a good inventory for customers.  This happened after Katrina and Rita.  

In times like this, just keep the flood victims in your thoughts and prayers and be patient.   :)

9 hours ago, dan326 said:

Yup, I'm caught in a traffic apocalypse right now trying to come back from a late lunch. Google maps is showing multiple wrecks/incidents on every street...

Ha..sounds about right Dan....being the Friday before Labor Day weekend only added to the traffic jam....I-12 eastbound was backed up from around the Amite River all the way to the 10/12 split...had to be at least 8 miles long bumper to bumper....& I-10 westbound toward BR was nearly as long...good to know some other surface streets if possible

Good advice Cajun :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

A "New " Bridge over the Mississippi always mentioned like these articles.....trying not to beat a Dead Horse....but AGAIN...The beautiful NEWLY built Audubon Bridge 30 miles North (St.Francisville/New Roads) has been an epic FAIL....While the Capital City Region languishes in unnecessary traffic gridlock...wasted opportunity...

Image result for audubon bridge

Baton Rouge traffic brings commuting costs, gas usage well over national average, report shows

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_4beabf20-9652-11e6-8c70-7bf66b34ca30.html?sr_source=lift_amplify

Baton Rouge area lawmakers say new Mississippi River bridge key to traffic relief

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/weather_traffic/article_37c533be-954d-11e6-819c-9742dcf19585.html

Archived