PROPOSED: Crompton Mills

lastvisiblerat

(I couldn't find an old thread on this, hope it's ok to start a new one.)

Kent County Times: Crompton Mill Might Become 55+ Housing

I'm really disappointed by this news (though not too surprised as I hadn't heard anything new about the project since last year). I know the condo market is poor right now and SBER is having trouble moving units at the Royal Mill, but this property had so much potential. The western bank has great waterfront property - lots of space with a really wide section of the river above the dams. The east bank includes mill buildings that are 200 years old (built 1807). The potential was great, but now I worry they are just going to go with the first developer who will do something, anything, quickly. If they carelessly develop it now they will be shutting the door on better projects that would no doubt come along when the market improves. I guess I should withhold judgment until I see what this developer wants to do, though. :cry:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad worked that fire in 1992. He said it was the most awesome, intense and scary fire of his 30+ firefighting career.

Anyways. This proposal would be fine as long as it isn't done half-arse. The area really has been a hole for years and WW could really use the taxes, nevermind having population increases without a further burden on the school system.

I do hope it goes out to RFP at least to see if there are any other 'better' ideas out there. The town coudl always choose the one that holds the most promising chances of happening soonber rather than later, whether it be SBER or anyone else...

here is what SBER has on thier site (funny, I could swaer there was a thread on this too!!):

http://www.sber.com/providence/crompton_mills.php

I'm on board with your concerns too. I mean it has sat vacant for so long, why rush into something that ends up being crappy now?? As usual, there is a middle ground here, don't rush it, but lets see what other options might be out there.

Archived