Taxes gone wild

beerbeer

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article does highlight the leadership efforts of Hartford's small business community by people such as Paul Mozzicatto and others.

The article also briefly mentions a key component of this tax disaster that has been hardly mentioned by others. The entire reason for the tax increase is the decision by Mayor Perez to save money on the re-val process and use city staff to conduct the assessment. This had never been done in Hartford before, and the City had always hired professionals familiar with the process to conduct re-val. Unfortunately, Perez's decision to use City staff resulted in over a $2 billion dollar "mistake" between the City's estimate of the Grand list, and the actual result. I'm not sure if any of the CEO's of the major corporations in Hartford would still have a job if they misrepresented or underestimated their projected revenue or assets by 2 BILLION dollars.

It almost seems unbelievable that Perez would have the gall to issue a press release yesterday saying that he has called a special meeting for tomorrow at noon of the Hartford City Council to correct the tax problem , since the legislature hasn't. This was not the states problem, and Perez needs to be held accountable for another of his poor decisions

• 3 months later...
I'm not sure I completely understand it, and Tycoon can probably answer this one, but something in the article said that Perez will still be going up against some of the same people in the General election...almost like this was more of a caucus than an actual primary.

Archived