B.I.D.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 of CT's 5 US House seats and both Senate seats are held by Dems whom do control Congress.They should work together to secure funding for a tunnel to replace the Aetna viaduct and the rest of the 84 canyon.I'd suggest the tunnel start near the Park rd on off ramps in W.Hfd,gently arcing north and emerge someplace near the East Hartford mixmaster.The Bulkeley Bridge could then carry CT Blvd as a local road from Main st E.Hfd to near Main st W.Hfd kind of like a greenway in another New England city.A trolley line or Tram could run the full length from Main east to Main Capitol to Main west with stops in between.Of course this is only a suggestion.

4 of CT's 5 US House seats and both Senate seats are held by Dems whom do control Congress.They should work together to secure funding for a tunnel to replace the Aetna viaduct and the rest of the 84 canyon.I'd suggest the tunnel start near the Park rd on off ramps in W.Hfd,gently arcing north and emerge someplace near the East Hartford mixmaster.The Bulkeley Bridge could then carry CT Blvd as a local road from Main st E.Hfd to near Main st W.Hfd kind of like a greenway in another New England city.A trolley line or Tram could run the full length from Main east to Main Capitol to Main west with stops in between.Of course this is only a suggestion.

The Democrats said they would stop the war instead they caved in.

The Dems said they would stop earmarks. This budget contains more earmarks (hidden deeper) than when the GOP was in charge.

The Dems said they would install a five-day work week. They now regularly take Friday off.

They said they would end the culture of corruption but the biggest scandal is about a Louisiana democrat.

The Congress has it's lowest approval rating in a decade.

Congrats to the Democrats, they fooled everyone.

The Democrats said they would stop the war instead they caved in.

The Dems said they would stop earmarks. This budget contains more earmarks (hidden deeper) than when the GOP was in charge.

The Dems said they would install a five-day work week. They now regularly take Friday off.

They said they would end the culture of corruption but the biggest scandal is about a Louisiana democrat.

The Congress has it's lowest approval rating in a decade.

Congrats to the Democrats, they fooled everyone.

Democrats and Republicans usually work together on home state issues. They will need a multi-state coalition to get this amount of funding secured. Good old fashion, you scratch my back and I'll scratch your back, Potomac two-step, will be needed, not just 4 (of over 500) congressmen.

Connecticut always pays more in taxes to the Feds than it gets back. That's how it was when the Dems were in power. That's how it was when the GOP was in power. Don't expect anything except the Democratic status of Connecticut to be taken for granted.

I still think something has to be done about the Aetna viaduct,it was designed to last about 40 years and that time is up.It'll be expensive to replace,repair,rebuild but I hope the DOT comes up with something better than whats there now.

• 1 month later...
The idea is to not wait and see what DOT comes up with. It is to be ahead of the curve. We should be working with ideas and doing engineering studies. Connecticut should have a clear picture of what they want to do before DOT is forced to band aid the viaduct.

How's this for a plan?

Close the entire viaduct completely. Move I-84 onto I-691, then combine it with I-91 to the Charter Oak Bridge, then have I-84 take that routing to it's current position. I-84 from Exits 27 to say 45 becomes some other number, tear down the downtown Hartford section.

I can not see a tunnel being built in Hartford, it's too small of a city to build something on Big Dig grand scale. Therefore, we are going to have a viaduct for some time. We will probably get band aids and other repairs over replacement for a long time.

How's this for a plan?

Close the entire viaduct completely. Move I-84 onto I-691, then combine it with I-91 to the Charter Oak Bridge, then have I-84 take that routing to it's current position. I-84 from Exits 27 to say 45 becomes some other number, tear down the downtown Hartford section.

I can not see a tunnel being built in Hartford, it's too small of a city to build something on Big Dig grand scale. Therefore, we are going to have a viaduct for some time. We will probably get band aids and other repairs over replacement for a long time.

Under that proposal, I could see I-384 being extended westward past Exit 57 into Hartford, over the Founders (?) Bridge. (Which one is the ancient one currently used for 84 and which is to the south of it?) If not that, then maybe I-284.

As for the Exit 27 to West Hartford stretch, call that I-184. We already have federal status for that, why lose it?

I'm still hoping that Route 8 expressway could get called I-595 or something, but there I digress.

How's this for a plan?

Great ideas, but how about simply utilizing the Bissel Bridge. At some point near Hartford (Sisson Ave ghost ramps?), I-84 would head northward towards Cottage Grove, then plow through the mostly empty land and over the Bissell Bridge, then reconnecting in East Hartford/Manchester.

In any event, the Aetna Viaduct needs to go. Look at the Minnesota Bridge collapse. These viaducts were built at a time where we had tons of money for elaborate and ridiculous superhighways. It cannot be kept up. Any new highways should be built at or below grade like the rest of the world.

We clearly do not need 2 highways criss-crossing downtown. One would suffice, and in the future maybe none would be needed, but I-91 could handle all downtown traffic and I-84 eliminated or rerouted today and it would all work out. How do we get the DOT to understand this though?

Imagine Asylum Street without the conduit???

d8e71rm1.jpg

So nice and serene.....

Great ideas, but how about simply utilizing the Bissel Bridge. At some point near Hartford (Sisson Ave ghost ramps?), I-84 would head northward towards Cottage Grove, then plow through the mostly empty land and over the Bissell Bridge, then reconnecting in East Hartford/Manchester.

In any event, the Aetna Viaduct needs to go. Look at the Minnesota Bridge collapse. These viaducts were built at a time where we had tons of money for elaborate and ridiculous superhighways. It cannot be kept up. Any new highways should be built at or below grade like the rest of the world.

Archived