Dr. Kevorkian released

voyager12

I think an individual who is in the late stages of suffering from a terminal disease should have the right and choice to end their pain. Oregon's law, the only one in the country requires the individual to have less than a year to live and cannot be acted upon until two doctors sign off. Since the law was passed a couple years ago in Oregon there has been no massive rush of cases as was feared. The majority of patients have not acted upon this option but feel comforted knowing that they do have the choice. I really do not see the harm here.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Dr. Kevorkian. People who are terminal, who are dying, should be able to chose death.

I admire Dr. Kevorkian a great deal. Unfortunately I feel he is the wrong person to be publicizing this issue. He is extremely eccentric, and his public persona is usually quite bizarre. Don't get me wrong---I like eccentric people. But when something of this importance is being discussed, you usually want serious non-flamboyant participants.

Appropriate message--inappropriate messenger.

I agree that people in that situation should have the option. The problem with Kevorkian is that he broke the law. There are right ways to go about changing the laws and there are wrong ways. This man broke the law over 130 times, you can't just dismiss that.

I agree that people in that situation should have the option. The problem with Kevorkian is that he broke the law. There are right ways to go about changing the laws and there are wrong ways. This man broke the law over 130 times, you can't just dismiss that.

I think anybody that would be promoting assisted subside is going to be regarded as bizarre by mainstream America even if the person's look and demeanor was that of the CEO of a fortune 500 company. Blame America's puritanic roots.

I agree with Dr. Kevorkian. People who are terminal, who are dying, should be able to chose death.

I admire Dr. Kevorkian a great deal. Unfortunately I feel he is the wrong person to be publicizing this issue. He is extremely eccentric, and his public persona is usually quite bizarre. Don't get me wrong---I like eccentric people. But when something of this importance is being discussed, you usually want serious non-flamboyant participants.

Appropriate message--inappropriate messenger.

That's a dangerous thing to say. Would you say the same thing about Rosa Parks or Martin Luther King, Jr. There are pre-existing societal ways to change the laws, and then there is civil disobedience.

In cases like this, I value Americans' history of civil disobedience to force the country into debating the issue in order to instigate change.

Archived