Reviews of the 275 Fulton Place design

GRDadof3

What do you think of the 275 Fulton Place designs?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the 275 Fulton Place design

• 1.0 - I think it's just awful and not right for that spot and/or GR
    • 2.5 - I wish it was something else, or designed differently
    • 5.0 - I can live with it
    • 7.5 - I think it looks pretty good, but I would tweak a few things
    • 10.0 - I think it's sophisticated, well thought out and the best project so far for downtown
    • Other

To repost what I said in the other thread:

1) The cantilever along Fulton. Too big, too open, too empty, too tall, and honestly, I'd be afraid to walk under that. Get the world's best engineers to tell me it's safe, I still might just cross to the other side of the street if I walk by. The ONLY elements keeping that thing up under the tallest part of the tower are two V-shaped beams, and they certainly aren't too far apart compared to what's above them.

2) The facade on the lower floors on the NW side facing the river. What is that? It stands out and looks out-of-place.

3) The glass is nice, but that's all there is to the building. At least add some sort of small frame to the corners or something.

And I suppose I will have to add that it does seem a bit out of balance. Some extra vertical shape to the long stretch between the north and south towers could fix this, along with the removal of the cantilever concept.

The best idea I've seen for downtown, IMHO, is 240 Ionia. Here's to hoping that gets off the ground.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find interesting is the obvious attempt to avoid symmetry. While I love symmetry (it eases my mind for some reason, go figure) the lack of such symmetry keeps my eyes wandering over the entire building looking for the next space or angle that seems asque. The view from Fulton bothers my mind in that the building looks as if it wants to fall to the right and the view from the west (looking east) makes my heart long for towers of equal height. But alas...if my mind and heart's desires were fulfilled it would be a very boring building. Despite the uncharacterisitc form and the level of angst the design provides I find myself intrigued. What more can you ask from an fixed, inanimate object?

I have to remember that I'm not looking at drawings, but artistic concept and illustration. How am I supposed to know that the cantilever is possible because of counterweight, support beams, and tensioned concrete is beyond me....? That's not something these illustrations are meant for, but to just give you the impression of the building.

I like the analogy given for the transparency. How it relates the banking industry and 'open' books :lol:

I think that the negative views on this project will turn out to be alot like the initial reactions to Icon on Bond. A significant number of us who originally thought that design was terrible in every way ended up liking a majority of the real thing. This project strikes me as receiving the same reaction. Once built, I believe that a fair amount of the naysayers will change there views to an "I can deal with it" vote.

One other point: When they built the Plaza Towers, it really did not fit any properties around it, either. Nor did the Amway Grand Plaza or Bridgewater. I think that this will fit into a ever-growing field of architectural designs that add character to the downtown area.

What I find interesting is the obvious attempt to avoid symmetry. While I love symmetry (it eases my mind for some reason, go figure) the lack of such symmetry keeps my eyes wandering over the entire building looking for the next space or angle that seems asque. The view from Fulton bothers my mind in that the building looks as if it wants to fall to the right and the view from the west (looking east) makes my heart long for towers of equal height. But alas...if my mind and heart's desires were fulfilled it would be a very boring building. Despite the uncharacterisitc form and the level of angst the design provides I find myself intrigued. What more can you ask from an fixed, inanimate object?

I really like this concept, the only thing I would change is the area around the parking..the fencing or whatever it is doesn't seem to work well with the glass. I especially like the southern end with the lighting and sculpture under the cantilever. I think this would be a welcoming area and would encourage people to walk along the river and check it out. I think the height is great for this spot along the Grand, and I like how it contrasts the towers. We're only given shots from a few angles, and I think when it's "in the environment" it will look great from many viewpoints. Props on the LEED design pursuit.

It actually looks a little like the fountain along the bank of the river just south of the blue ped. bridge on this site. Didn't we just spend a bunch of money rebuilding this fountain that was closed for so many years because it was using city water and running into the Grand River? I wonder if that gets taken out by this plan?

I'm curious to see how the river front access is preserved (and enhanced) in this area. I guess my dreams of walking the east bank of the grand through downtown will have to wait a couple more summers. It would be great if they could do something more than just a board walk below grade, but really integrate it into the structure some how.

My other concern is similar to others on this thread, that the transparent glass gets replace by something mirrored or reflective.

*sorry, just saw the post above that answers part of my question about the fountain...

It actually looks a little like the fountain along the bank of the river just south of the blue ped. bridge on this site. Didn't we just spend a bunch of money rebuilding this fountain that was closed for so many years because it was using city water and running into the Grand River? I wonder if that gets taken out by this plan?

I'm curious to see how the river front access is preserved (and enhanced) in this area. I guess my dreams of walking the east bank of the grand through downtown will have to wait a couple more summers. It would be great if they could do something more than just a board walk below grade, but really integrate it into the structure some how.

My other concern is similar to others on this thread, that the transparent glass gets replace by something mirrored or reflective.

I don't know if anyone posted this before, but this site plan shows where the pedestrian walkway will go in relation to the new building. The orange is the current Singer sculpture that will be preserved. The green lines show public riverwalk traffic, part of which gets routed through the atrium of the building and then out to Fulton. The other part will be the new boardwalk down closer to river level. I'm curious how many of those trees will be preserved along the river there.

I always thought of the Plaza Towers as being on the river... atleast closer in line with the J.W. and Grand Plaza. When this was first announced I could not picture how anything substantial would fit there. I only recently stumbled on the path and water sculpture along the river there. To me it seemed like a walled-off area. Prints aside, we'll see how inviting or accessable this strip will be.

As for the design of 275, given the constraints they had to work with I think it looks pretty good. I don't know how the "View" issue could have been handled better. However, driving next to it west bound on Fulton - the buidling may look a little imposing, all other buildings of size in GR are set back off the roads. You'll look up, and the thing appears like it is almost on top of you.

I like the non-reflective glass as well. I'd like to see a rendering of the building at night. Will it dominate all the surrounding brick?

As others have mentioned, its hard to tell exactly what is going on with the parking structure on the north side. That aside, however, this project is a very exciting possibility. What an excellent design for that location. I love the transparency -- a welcome contrast to the dull, heavy weight of Plaza Towers and a smooth transition into the park and riverfront. Reflective glass or some kind of "frame" would only ruin that.

The massing is great. I particularly like the view from Fulton -- monumental, yet not at all heavy or overbearing:

533280342_b59f304d0e.jpg

Here's a closeup of the parking screen.

634895651_ad613f543e_o.jpg

I don't think transparent glass on the parking structure would have looked good at all, especially right on the riverfront. Imagine seeing row after row of visible bumpers. I think the screening will look pretty cool.

I tried to find a similar screening technique somewhere online, but no luck yet. Is some ways, it reminds me of this wall, only larger and more artistic:

493133622_b571a52d44.jpg

You're on the right track there GRdad. The screening in the rendering is certainly conceptual, but I'm sure the intent is to have have some sort of amorphous repeating pattern to enliven the facade. Whether its some sort of concrete facade, as you show above, or a metal mesh system remains to be seen.

here is what was done to the newest parking structure in Ann Arbor...

Grade%20from%20SW%2004-09-17.jpg

Grade%20from%20SE%2004-09-17.jpg

You're on the right track there GRdad. The screening in the rendering is certainly conceptual, but I'm sure the intent is to have have some sort of amorphous repeating pattern to enliven the facade. Whether its some sort of concrete facade, as you show above, or a metal mesh system remains to be seen.

here is what was done to the newest parking structure in Ann Arbor...

snip..

Archived