Florida Hometown Democracy Amendment

thetoolman

Florida Hometown Democracy

Has anyone seen this effort to put a constitutional amendment on the 08 ballot in Florida to require all comp plan changes to be put to a full vote of the citizens?

I am being naive, or would this pretty much lock us in to the current comp plan forever if it were to pass?

No developer is going to undertake a general election campaign in order to put up a new grocery store or neighborhood.

What do you think? They have 200k of the 600k signatures required to get it in the ballot as of May.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen this proposal and think it's a horrible idea. The Florida Sierra Club emails me all the time to sign the petition for this proposal and then urges me to vote for it.

Can you imagine how much of a calamity this would be for Tally's progress if it were passed and then we leave all growth of the City/County up to our NIMBY-loving citizenry??

I definitely hope they don't get the signatures needed, however I think "Joe Citizen" will see this from only one viewpoint. The viewpoint that will put the power of growth in his/her hands and will therefore be all for it. In theory it sounds OK (power in citizen's hands) but we all know how it will really turn out. DISASTER!

Interesting & Distrubing at the same time...I hadn't heard anything about this. Thanks for bringing to our attention Toolman I agree as already stated above, on the surface it sounds good in theory but it would be a disaster for this to actually be put into practice.

I too am against it. A man approached me about this a while back when I went to the first meeting on St. Joe's Southside development. I didn't like it then, I still don't. I agree with pretty much everyone above who say's this will be a negative for Tallahassee and our progress.

Archived