Good-bye 1885 Sieradzki home

ZachariahDaMan

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was biking by last night and took a photo with my phone, but it didn't turn out too well. Pretty hard to get a picture of the actual home under the best of circumstances as all the foliage pretty much covers it up. I will take another one today. A few folks are still trying last ditch efforts to save the house, but it doesn't look good. It is really quite sad.

montgomeryhouse2.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/inde....xml&coll=8

There is the article about the Sieradzki home at 487 W. Clay that will be torn down. I was wondering if anyone of you Muskegon people could get a photo of it for me. It's too bad that the guy just let the house deteriorate for 30 years.

It's such a shame what he did to that place, you can tell it was once beautiful. I used to know a girl who lived in the house next door and when the wind was blowing in the right direction you could actually smell the place. I really hope the city uses that lot to move a historic house there when the chance comes up so the historic character of the area is preserved, I don't want that corner left as another empty lot or have a house built there that is out of context with the neighborhood.

It's such a shame what he did to that place, you can tell it was once beautiful. I used to know a girl who lived in the house next door and when the wind was blowing in the right direction you could actually smell the place. I really hope the city uses that lot to move a historic house there when the chance comes up so the historic character of the area is preserved, I don't want that corner left as another empty lot or have a house built there that is out of context with the neighborhood.

What does this house look like? I saw the blurry cell phone pic. Anyone got the goods on this?

Joe

http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicle/inde....xml&coll=8

There is the article about the Sieradzki home at 487 W. Clay that will be torn down. I was wondering if anyone of you Muskegon people could get a photo of it for me. It's too bad that the guy just let the house deteriorate for 30 years.

They need to get a new group in to run city hall. That house should have never come down. Wow, I'm still spinning over this. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would see abuse of power to this level. There had to be a better way.

I am very sad to read that the house is gone, but the blame lies with the Sieradzki's, both Vic and Scott. Victor had decades to turn the house around and he never did. Scott was told the city wouldn't work with him because of their prior experiance with him, so instead of signing the house over to the church to save it he helf on to it and than tried to use the deed to get out of jail while precious time was being lost.

The demolition of this house was a tragedy, but so was decades of abuse from its owner.

Some great photos by Chronicle staff of the events.

Chronicle photo gallery

The police took over eighty picture of the interior of the house. It was in even worse shape than you could imagine. In addition, after the church obtained title, they had a engineer evaluate the structure to see if it could be saved. He said the animal and human waste had so deeply infused into the wood that making it livable would require removing all or most of the historic features. The church decided to let demolition proceed after receiving the report.

Funny I was there and the inspector said it was too dangerous because the main beam was already down and it was not safe. I think some fibs and stories to cover oneself are being created. Yep, Vic should have done something sooner but the city mishandled this and didn't even have the decency to let the animal rescues remove the cats. I was in the old house the day before destruction, it was bad but the house I restored was just as bad if not worse. Also the architect and the group of inspectors that were there on Saturday have a different story to tell then the city one.

Archived