Theater District

bhamsly

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the way that design will show it having such a well-lit district. It is also looks very inviting towards visitors and outsiders. I think that is proposed Theater District would be a major boon for the City Center that will make most of the area that is vibrant 24/7 area.

To me, the 2nd picture shows it being across from The Alabama Theater and next to The Lyric Theatre. I would hope that the building with the light at the top looks like a cinema...I would hope so. I think these 3 components with the a few places to eat and get a drink would be awesome. Hopefully, the city could bring this project soon. A downtown cinema would not benefit just downtown residents, but people from the area. Maybe it would be a really nice theater like the new Monaco cinema coming to Huntsville's Bridge Street. Anything is good at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Walking back to my loft today I saw a sign referencing the theater district, it had a website and wanted to share with you all just to make everyone aware. It's at www.theaterdistrict.net

About the Railroad Reservation Park, I have seen some of the plans on various websites but haven't seen anything that includes a dog park. My wife just moved back to Birmingham from Atlanta and so many of the parks have fenced in areas for people to carry their dogs. I hope the include a dog run in the parks.

Birmingham needs a Dave and Busters or something similar and preferably downtown. It would be a huge draw to start bringing families back into town.

-Turbo

Walking back to my loft today I saw a sign referencing the theater district, it had a website and wanted to share with you all just to make everyone aware. It's at www.theaterdistrict.net

About the Railroad Reservation Park, I have seen some of the plans on various websites but haven't seen anything that includes a dog park. My wife just moved back to Birmingham from Atlanta and so many of the parks have fenced in areas for people to carry their dogs. I hope the include a dog run in the parks.

Birmingham needs a Dave and Busters or something similar and preferably downtown. It would be a huge draw to start bringing families back into town.

-Turbo

Thanks Blazer!

I spent the first 26 years of my life here then moved away to Annapolis Maryland for a couple years and then to Atlanta for about 6 years. Made it back to B'ham after being away for 8 years. It takes getting away from this city to realize how great it is and also how much better it could be.

-Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Although it is not directly related to the District, but it is very nearby. The current owner of Johnny B's exotic dance club has been at odds with the City, the Fountain Heights Neighborhood Association, and Operation New Birmingham over the exotic dancing license. The owner is arguing that he has the right to own the business as it has been there before the downtown revitalization, but the city has been rejecting the renewal a dance II license allowing exotic dancing. Now the club's owner now asking if David Leer, developer of the Leer Tower, will be interested in buying the club property from its current owner.

This may or may not affect the proposed Theater District, however this is very prudent to the area as it is along 2nd Avenue North on the fringe of the proposed district.

I read through this guy's website and he seems to be focused on recruiting eight businesses (restaurants, bars, retail) to help anchor the area, but I didn't see much about the actual theaters. Maybe I missed it. It's kind of a no-brainer that the key components of this district are the theaters, including bringing in a major cinema with several screens to show first-run movies. The city should get involved in recruiting a company to build a big downtown movie theater.

I read through this guy's website and he seems to be focused on recruiting eight businesses (restaurants, bars, retail) to help anchor the area, but I didn't see much about the actual theaters. Maybe I missed it. It's kind of a no-brainer that the key components of this district are the theaters, including bringing in a major cinema with several screens to show first-run movies. The city should get involved in recruiting a company to build a big downtown movie theater.

Well, its named the "Theater District" due to the area's proximity to the Alabama and Lyric Theatres. I wouldn't mind seeing an independent first-run movie theater built in the area that would show independent films year-around not just during the Sidewalk Film Festival. Since Galleria 10 was shuttered last year, a lot of the indie film fans feel they are being shut out. They go all the way to Atlanta just see one.

• 1 year later...

Well, it seems like Joseph McClure is still pushing for the formation of the Theatre District. As a matter of fact the recent announcment of the expansion of Cafe Dupont has reinvigorated his hopes of the entertainment district. Also there are plans for 2 new restaurant the former site of the Roma's and Dobbs Gallery.

Birmingham real estate promoter pushes for redeveloping an entertainment district downtown dominated by two theaters

Well, it seems like Joseph McClure is still pushing for the formation of the Theatre District. As a matter of fact the recent announcment of the expansion of Cafe Dupont has reinvigorated his hopes of the entertainment district. Also there are plans for 2 new restaurant the former site of the Roma's and Dobbs Gallery.

Birmingham real estate promoter pushes for redeveloping an entertainment district downtown dominated by two theaters

Archived