NHL might expand

MadVlad

Larry G has said Hartford's best chance at an NHL team is expansion. That was thought to be a pipe dream by most, but maybe Larry G knew something the rest of us didn't. The Kansas City Star has reported that the NHL might look to expand.... except Hartford isn't on the list. Las Vegas and Kansas City are. As we all know, KC has the arena, and Vegas is a hot market. So I guess we'll see what happens....

Hartford probably shafted again

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Larry G has said Hartford's best chance at an NHL team is expansion. That was thought to be a pipe dream by most, but maybe Larry G knew something the rest of us didn't. The Kansas City Star has reported that the NHL might look to expand.... except Hartford isn't on the list. Las Vegas and Kansas City are. As we all know, KC has the arena, and Vegas is a hot market. So I guess we'll see what happens....

Hartford probably shafted again

Those are the clear front runners. And why not? They should be, KC did the right thing and in all likelyhood it will pay off. We should already be building an arena. Maybe then we'll be on the list. The expansion is still a while away. We can take concrete steps to be more attractive, like establishing the real ground work for a new arena.

We need a new arena definitely. Towns which don't really deserve hockey teams are getting them before us, and we have a fan base here.

I think it's a bad idea for expansion, as said in the topic in Sports. And there are plenty of markets over Kansas City more deserving, but they're the ones with the new arena and some financiers and apparently that's all it takes... regardless of fan base. Maybe I'm wrong though (Anaheim).

Its a joke that the NHL is even considering expansion. Teams are losing money and certain markets can't even support the teams that already exist. The NHL has already over extended itself and displaced northern teams to the south where no one really cares. Don't get me wrong... if the NHL DOES expand, I'm all for us getting a team back. But I can't even imagine how the NHL can consider this.

The NHL is without a doubt the worst run professional league in the US.

Its a joke that the NHL is even considering expansion. Teams are losing money and certain markets can't even support the teams that already exist. The NHL has already over extended itself and displaced northern teams to the south where no one really cares. Don't get me wrong... if the NHL DOES expand, I'm all for us getting a team back. But I can't even imagine how the NHL can consider this.

Those are the clear front runners. And why not? They should be, KC did the right thing and in all likelyhood it will pay off. We should already be building an arena. Maybe then we'll be on the list. The expansion is still a while away. We can take concrete steps to be more attractive, like establishing the real ground work for a new arena.

Because the one we have now is antiquated and we are a major metro area that will always need such a facility. It's simply an investment in my mind. If it can help attract more business or broaden the options for the market than that would be great as well.

I thought it was interesting in reading some of the recent Larry G comments, he seems to have been convinced that the present arena location is the ideal site for a new building. If you go back and read some of the articles from when the winning bid announcement was made, its seems like AEG has told him that a site right in the middle of downtown is the best place for a successful building.

Bill, I tend to agree that an arena would be better as a "Bookend", but I think it might say something that he has been convinced that it would work where it is. Its important to note, that Larry G is not just vested in this arena but another $500 Million in real estate around the Civic Center site....

Where to put it is a tough one. I really like the idea of opening up a street right through the center of the civic center site and parceling off that property into prime downtown real estate. Although I also like putting a venue that will draw over a million people annually inside the CBD.

I thought it was interesting in reading some of the recent Larry G comments, he seems to have been convinced that the present arena location is the ideal site for a new building. If you go back and read some of the articles from when the winning bid announcement was made, its seems like AEG has told him that a site right in the middle of downtown is the best place for a successful building.

I took the roof off the HCC and moved it to site 12B. It's not a perfect fit but that what firms like HOK are for. It is still a very downtown site and if it helps develop the neighborhood north of I-84 that is a BIG plus. I would love to see part of it build over I-84 and use some of that dead space.

542270424_8a4ce9ab51.jpg

I took the roof off the HCC and moved it to site 12B. It's not a perfect fit but that what firms like HOK are for. It is still a very downtown site and if it helps develop the neighborhood north of I-84 that is a BIG plus. I would love to see part of it build over I-84 and use some of that dead space.

Archived