NHL might expand

MadVlad

You seem to be under the impression that the Northern cities lost their teams due to lack of support, while in actuality, that is rarely the case. There are plenty of other reasons to lose teams other than lack of support: exchange rate, arena issues, owner issues.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And how exactly will this change if the teams in the south moved back north or if more expansion teams were placed there? It appears that the cities rumored for this latest round of expansion are Kansas City and Las Vegas, so it doesn't exactly look like the league is eager to get back there.

Also, of course there are many factors as to why sports franchises relocate, it was just a gross oversimplification, just like the earlier statements that hockey can't succeed in the south because local ponds don't freeze over. :whistling:

And how exactly will this change if the teams in the south moved back north or if more expansion teams were placed there? It appears that the cities rumored for this latest round of expansion are Kansas City and Las Vegas, so it doesn't exactly look like the league is eager to get back there.

Also, of course there are many factors as to why sports franchises relocate, it was just a gross oversimplification, just like the earlier statements that hockey can't succeed in the south because local ponds don't freeze over. :whistling:

If hockey can expand in high schools and colleges throughout south as it has in the north, then great!! Until it does though, it will remain a regional sport.

People seem to forget that the reason why hockey doesn’t catch on in the majority of the U.S., including the north, has to do with money and of course, ice time. Hockey is a very expensive sport and arenas are expensive to operate, especially if it’s open all year. Cities throughout Minnesota can afford to keep their arenas open throughout the year because there are enough kids and adults interested and willing to pay. It will be in the 90s today and this evening I will be heading to the arena right after softball practice.

Also, keep in mind that hockey was popular throughout the north long before the NHL came about. So to state that owners, the league, or a few northerners are not allowing hockey to expand is kinda week.

it's starting to. aren't you reading my posts? it's not going to happen all of a sudden. do i agree that hockey is bigger in the north? of course! but it's growing down here and many of the hockey fanatics up north either don't see it or choose not to see it. nashville has their arenas open year round (one in the 8th weathiest county in the country). what's your point? and it is the league's fault for not letting hockey expand. national media coverage makes or breaks pro sports these days. how many preds games were on national tv compared to other teams in the north? i can assure you that the preds had very very very little coverage (even when playing the redwings!!!!)

Yes, I read your posts and I'll state it again - until Tennessee and other southern states have numerous high school hockey teams and at least one D1 univeristy hockey program to spark more interest, hockey will remain a regional sport. Is high school hockey in TN even sanctioned?

My point about arenas is that children and adults in many northern cities have access to numerous sheets of ice throughout the year. One problem many southern states face is lack of ice and ice time. Also, even if one of Nashville's arenas is located in one of the eight wealthiest counties in the country, which I doubt, what's your point?

BTW, the MN Wild hasn't received too much national tv time. It hasn't hurt the team or MN's support for the game.

yes, i know pond hockey you can skate whenever you want for free. we all know this. but i don't think that the nhl now days is dependent on whether or not a place has frozen ponds. is it cool for history? yes. but this is 2007, there are ice rinks for a reason. if a kid learns on a pond or a rink, doesn't matter. as long as they are learning the love of hockey, then that's what is most important.

Well, any new hockey fans who read this forum have probably already gone back to the NASCAR or NFL thread. This thread is just another step in the wrong direction for hockey in general.

Anyway, let's just face it: the NHL hasn't done what it needs to do to cultivate fans. Regardless of where franchises are located, the league will die if it doesn't market itself better. I don't care if it contracted all the way back to six, if those six teams get less press in their own hometowns than the WNBA, those are dead franchises in a decade.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that if the NFL took over the Predators franchise, it would be back to health in short order. The NHL is a business, and businesses don't survive on old-time social connections. Get some real businessmen in the NHL, and you'll have a healthy league.

i think we both agree on the point that hockey will remain regional until other areas start building up programs. the point i am making is that it will be difficult to do that if a pro team is taken from nashville. do ya'll have magic ice that stays frozen after winter and early spring? and why do you doubt that it is one of the wealthiest counties in the country? maybe because you know nothing about nashville? and i said that because you mentioned that hockey is an expensive sport. well if we have the money, i think we could afford to play. and the wild is already in an established market for hockey. nashville doesn't have that luxury.

Yes, I read your posts and I'll state it again - until Tennessee and other southern states have numerous high school hockey teams and at least one D1 univeristy hockey program to spark more interest, hockey will remain a regional sport. Is high school hockey in TN even sanctioned?

My point about arenas is that children and adults in many northern cities have access to numerous sheets of ice throughout the year. One problem many southern states face is lack of ice and ice time. Also, even if one of Nashville's arenas is located in one of the eight wealthiest counties in the country, which I doubt, what's your point?

BTW, the MN Wild hasn't received too much national tv time. It hasn't hurt the team or MN's support for the game.

since this area didn't start off playing hockey. the south doesn't have a history of hockey. we need something to introduce us to it. pro hockey is a beautiful example of this. and you have artificial ice on your ponds? and i was mistaken, williamson county is in the top 15th. i was going on what many people had told me. but the top 15 is still rather wealthy. btw, where did you get those numbers from. not doubting, just curious.

its hard to have as much interest when the sport isn't followed as closely in the south. You have 1 player from the south in the NHL, New England may have 20-30, im not sure, but either way the more locals the more interest. Once southern cities begin to grow athletes into the sport I think interest at all levels will increase.

Archived