NHL might expand

MadVlad

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what makes orlando any different from the other southern cities? the entire southeast is booming. it's not like nashville is drying up and blowing away. the fans are there, it's the corporate sponsorship that's not. and there are a lot of corporations that are moving their headquarters to nashville now. that and the fact that downtown is booming with condos (meaning more people right down the street from the game) and youth hockey is exploding in the area, i'd say give nashville some time. of course it's a non-traditional hockey market. but were any of the cities when hockey first came out? patience will prove very prosperous to whichever owner decides to keep the team in town. now if we could only convince the nhl to give us some national coverage other than espn's biased demise of hockey in nashville...... i do agree that orlando should have a team. just not MY team. haha.

well let's see. where to start.

minneapolitan,

we do have youth hockey. and it's growing quickly. this is due to the preds being here. the nhl expansion IS making a difference in nashville. we actually have high school ice hockey now. who knew? and the corporations that are moving to nashville are (and this is just some of them) asurion, clarcor, lp, caremark, quanta computer, nissan north america..... we also have hca, bridgestone/firestone, central parking, doane pet care, thomas nelson publishing, tractor supply company, dollar general, cracker barrel, and more healthcare headquarters than any other city. and then there is the multi billion dollar music industry, but i don't have time to go through all of them also.

mad vlad

you know there are such things as indoor rinks. you know, kinda like those things that all the nhl games are in? i wasn't aware that to be a true hockey player you had to play on a pond growing up.

dgreco

the history of the sport? you can have the history of the sport. but the nhl needs a future or else they will be just that. history. i wasn't aware that to enjoy hockey you had to be well versed in the history of the sport. the nhl is about entertainment. it's hard to accomplish this goal when there are a bunch of hockey snobs walking around telling new fans that they can't enjoy the sport because their area has no history of it. and by the way, nashville has had professional hockey since the 60s.

Jesus, where to start.....

Ok, you obviously didn't grow up in the north. There is a big difference between going to a rink and going to a pond. When I was growing up, kids would grab skates, trudge over to the pond and play all day (for free), give me a rink that you can do that in? How about one that has kids there at 8am? How about holidays? How about whenever the hell they feel like it? I couldn't have gotten a ride to a rink even if I wanted to. Stop acting like a martyr. Never once did say anyone was or wasn't a true hockey fan, but this is where your lack of knowledge is glaringly bright to us. Yes, I understand there actually is youth hockey and some high school teams where you are, but EVERY town where I am has it, and has for decades, not years counted on one hand. You don't have the infrastructure currently. It isn't bad, it isn't your fault, or the cities fault, but it's a fact. Sorry.

And, nobody is telling Nashville not to enjoy hockey, but facts are facts, as the team has been getting more successful, the attendance has gone down, that's an inverse relationship that is a killer. I love your quote "we actually have high school hockey now, who knew?" Wow, you finally have high school hockey 120 years after the sport started. Congratulations, that doesn't warrant having a team. Maine has had high school hockey for 75 years and they don't have a team. Get over yourself.

^ In other words, you believe that no matter how much a southern city might grow to embrace hockey culture, it is absolutely doomed from the start because it isn't iced over in January.

Time to pack up the Stars, it's obvious that team is doomed to failure due to a shortage of frozen ponds in the Metroplex.

^ In other words, you believe that no matter how much a southern city might grow to embrace hockey culture, it is absolutely doomed from the start because it isn't iced over in January.

Time to pack up the Stars, it's obvious that team is doomed to failure due to a shortage of frozen ponds in the Metroplex.

well let's see. where to start.

minneapolitan,

we do have youth hockey. and it's growing quickly. this is due to the preds being here. the nhl expansion IS making a difference in nashville. we actually have high school ice hockey now. who knew? and the corporations that are moving to nashville are (and this is just some of them) asurion, clarcor, lp, caremark, quanta computer, nissan north america..... we also have hca, bridgestone/firestone, central parking, doane pet care, thomas nelson publishing, tractor supply company, dollar general, cracker barrel, and more healthcare headquarters than any other city. and then there is the multi billion dollar music industry, but i don't have time to go through all of them also.

Now you're putting words in my mouth. The specific example was Nashville, and I was specifically illustrating the reasons Nashville hasn't been a success, despite its fabled in-roads into high school hockey. Pay attention.

Just an example to explain why the North is for hockey. If you are a great baseball player, you transplant to the south so you can play all year round. If you have a chance to become a big league player you move to AZ, FL, CA etc... You want to play hockey, you are most likely frm the north, you have the time to play the weather to play. I am sorrry, but when it is 90degrees out people arent going to play hockey, even if you hve leagues. Thats why canada has so many successful hockey players and so few baseball players. The only two I can think of off the top of my head are Jason Bay, and Justin Morneau, and Gagne but he is injuried. From Youth, thru College thru the pros, Hockey is a transplant to the south, not really a representation.

I'm sure a few have been born in the Sunbelt (Brian Leetch was born in Corpus Christie, Texas, but raised in Cheshire, Connecticut), but none to my knowledge have been raised in the South. There might be one, maybe two, but I don't know them if they exist...

Ok, after going through the rosters on Yahoo, here's what I've found out: There is one guy on the Bruins born in the South (Georgia), and he was brought up in NY. In fact, I can count on both hands the number of players that were born south of NY, and still have enough fingers left over to flip a few people off. There were as many people born in Brazil (1), and Nigeria (1) as were born in the South. The LA Kings have been in California since the 60's, yet there are no players from California. Why? Because they have better things to do in the winter than play hockey. And yes, they have rinks too....

Jesus, where to start.....

Ok, you obviously didn't grow up in the north. There is a big difference between going to a rink and going to a pond. When I was growing up, kids would grab skates, trudge over to the pond and play all day (for free), give me a rink that you can do that in? How about one that has kids there at 8am? How about holidays? How about whenever the hell they feel like it? I couldn't have gotten a ride to a rink even if I wanted to. Stop acting like a martyr. Never once did say anyone was or wasn't a true hockey fan, but this is where your lack of knowledge is glaringly bright to us. Yes, I understand there actually is youth hockey and some high school teams where you are, but EVERY town where I am has it, and has for decades, not years counted on one hand. You don't have the infrastructure currently. It isn't bad, it isn't your fault, or the cities fault, but it's a fact. Sorry.

And, nobody is telling Nashville not to enjoy hockey, but facts are facts, as the team has been getting more successful, the attendance has gone down, that's an inverse relationship that is a killer. I love your quote "we actually have high school hockey now, who knew?" Wow, you finally have high school hockey 120 years after the sport started. Congratulations, that doesn't warrant having a team. Maine has had high school hockey for 75 years and they don't have a team. Get over yourself.

Well, I'm sure hockey at all levels has grown throughout the south, but that doesn't really mean much. Once the south can support leagues throughout the year and starts developing great hockey players, coaches, etc... then you can claim it makes just as much sense to have a team in Nashville as it does in Winnipeg.

It's nice Nashville can attract some business.

so what you're saying is that southern teams should be moved from here until they have better hockey players? that's a little backwards thinking. hockey was hardly on the radar for kids in nashville (unless you counted the knights, which were fun to watch, but didn't exactly make you want to play) until the preds. so now you're wanting to take the main reason kids were wanting to play hockey away and tell them that they get it back when they get better? it doesn't exactly work that way. how are you going to build on something when you take the goal away?

how can you sit there and tell me don't be pissed that someone is trying to take my hockey team away from my city? so now i can't even show emotion about my team because you feel it doesn't belong in the south? what is the real issue that you all have against the south? seriously. is it because we have a team and hartford doesn't (sorry mad vlad)? is it because hockey is really the only sport canada has going for it and the south has all of these other sports? i mean what is really the issue here? last time i checked, all of those sports were nationwide that you listed.

Listen, I can 100% relate to your feelings on losing a team, but we've presented some facts you need to accept. It has absolutely nothing to do with Nashville having a team and Hartford not having a team. Your city has not been holding up it's end of the bargain. Just because there have been some local inroads made doesn't mean the city is a place where hockey will thrive as it should. We've presented valid reasons why the NHL has struggled in most Southern markets, it has nothing to do with the South because it is the South, it has to do with the pure dynamics of the game.

so what you're saying is that southern teams should be moved from here until they have better hockey players? that's a little backwards thinking. hockey was hardly on the radar for kids in nashville (unless you counted the knights, which were fun to watch, but didn't exactly make you want to play) until the preds. so now you're wanting to take the main reason kids were wanting to play hockey away and tell them that they get it back when they get better? it doesn't exactly work that way. how are you going to build on something when you take the goal away?

No. That's not what I was saying. As I've already stated, hockey is a regional sport. The fact that it is a regional sport plays a role in why the NHL is failing in most southern markets. The fact that most people up north don't care to watch NHL players win the Stanley Cup in front of bandwagon fans also has to do with the fact that hockey is a regional sport.

No. That's not what I was saying. As I've already stated, hockey is a regional sport. The fact that it is a regional sport plays a role in why the NHL is failing in most southern markets. The fact that most people up north don't care to watch NHL players win the Stanley Cup in front of bandwagon fans also has to do with the fact that hockey is a regional sport.

Archived