Property Tax Assessment

quente

Speaking of which... What in the world is up with trash collection lately? The last number of weeks, it's taken 3-6 days for the city to complete trash pickup on my street. They come every Tuesday, and yet there's always some piece that doesn't get picked up. This week it's yard waste *and* recycling, last week it was yard waste and trash. It's awful that I have to leave my garbage on the side of the road for days just hoping someone will pick it up.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking of which... What in the world is up with trash collection lately? The last number of weeks, it's taken 3-6 days for the city to complete trash pickup on my street. They come every Tuesday, and yet there's always some piece that doesn't get picked up. This week it's yard waste *and* recycling, last week it was yard waste and trash. It's awful that I have to leave my garbage on the side of the road for days just hoping someone will pick it up.

I don't get why Providence doesn't have the huge recycle cans, even Warwick has two full size green and yellow cans almost the same size as the massive trash can they give you. Paper is taken one week and plastic/glass is taken the next week. Makes sense to me. Even if they only gave one recycle bin per building, or per 2 units or something.

If I am not mistaken, PVD is 100 times better tax wise and moody rating wise since the last eval, 2003 effective for 2004.. I know its wishful thinking, but I don't think ppty taxes can skyrocket.. Otherwise, you bite that hand that feeds you. I can tell you that I cannot pass these costs on to tenants, people are stretched far enough.. Everyone seems to be having relative tight times in the city.. It would be incredibly boorish to instill a tax hike.. But then again, these are government officials we are talking about..

I can't complain with the assessments, they increased substantially, but appear to be in line with my finger on the pulse of prices from 2006.. You cannot raise taxes on residential, its that simple.. The city is building commersh everywhere, contrary to popular belief the tax base is flourishing.. PVD was junk bond rated in 2003 I think.. Now its like BBB+.. Good job by smarter government.. Cicciline is a relative fiscal conservative, Carcieri is full blown,.. Kudos gentlemen...

Now if we could just get rid of all the long time Providence residents and government who would again vote for Cianci (incomprehensible), we can continue to move forward..

I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Vote Quimby, Snuff Cianci..

STATE BUDGET FORCES TAX LEVY INCREASE AND SERVICE CUTS

Mayor Cicilline proposed 5 items to eliminate the budget shortfall for 2008. This includes staff reductions and a property tax increase of 5.25%.

I am not clear about the logistics of the tax increase. Property tax payments to the city will be going up regardless due to the assessment increases. Is the millage rate going to be raised 5.25% and applied to the higher property values?

Edit: So based on my understanding, RIGL 44-5-2 specifies that the 5.25% increase is the maximum that the total property tax levy can go up, not the millage rate. Sorry if I confused people.

Edit#2 - The press release specifies a property tax increase of up to 5.25%. I suppose it is possible that the increase could be less.

We can thank Costantino, Gordon Fox and other state reps for this property tax increase. By level funding education in the state budget, they essentially passed the buck to Providence residents. They could have easily included Carcieri's 3% increase in aid in the budget but they have to make room for other priorities like a shiny new courthouse in Lincoln and keeping the capital gains tax at 1.75%, well below what it is in Massachusetts.

Rhode Island already ranks toward the bottom in its reliance on local property taxes to fund education and this budget may push it even lower on the list. This reliance on property taxes means that people, especially seniors, who bought a house a long time ago but who lack a sizeable income will get hit hard despite their ability to pay and that it means that Providence will be less competitive than its suburbs because its costs for deliving services are higher and those costs are shouldered by Providence tax payers alone. This is a recipe for more sprawl.

Anyone want to run against Costantino or Fox?

By the way, I applaud David Segal for trying to introduce some sense into the state budget this year.

We can thank Costantino, Gordon Fox and other state reps for this property tax increase. By level funding education in the state budget, they essentially passed the buck to Providence residents. They could have easily included Carcieri's 3% increase in aid in the budget but they have to make room for other priorities like a shiny new courthouse in Lincoln and keeping the capital gains tax at 1.75%, well below what it is in Massachusetts.

Rhode Island already ranks toward the bottom in its reliance on local property taxes to fund education and this budget may push it even lower on the list. This reliance on property taxes means that people, especially seniors, who bought a house a long time ago but who lack a sizeable income will get hit hard despite their ability to pay and that it means that Providence will be less competitive than its suburbs because its costs for deliving services are higher and those costs are shouldered by Providence tax payers alone. This is a recipe for more sprawl.

Anyone want to run against Costantino or Fox?

By the way, I applaud David Segal for trying to introduce some sense into the state budget this year.

Mayor Cicilline proposed 5 items to eliminate the budget shortfall for 2008. This includes staff reductions and a property tax increase of 5.25%.

I am not clear about the logistics of the tax increase. Property tax payments to the city will be going up regardless due to the assessment increases. Is the millage rate going to be raised 5.25% and applied to the higher property values?

Edit: So based on my understanding, RIGL 44-5-2 specifies that the 5.25% increase is the maximum that the total property tax levy can go up, not the millage rate. Sorry if I confused people.

Edit#2 - The press release specifies a property tax increase of up to 5.25%. I suppose it is possible that the increase could be less.

So this means that not only did my assessment go up by $100K but the rate is going to increase by up to 5.25%?? Wow, I'm screwed... This is not going to encourage people to move to Provi from elsewhere, and it may actually encourage people that were on the fence, to move.

I think it means the overall property tax revenue to the city will increase by 5.25%, and since all the valuations went up, the tax rate may not change much, or even go down depending on how much valuations increased as a whole. This is how I understand it, but I may be wrong.

The _levy_ can go up by a max of 5.25% without state permission. The relative property values have nothing to do with how much is going to be collected -- they define the distribution.

If values were rising but the levy were staying the same, and your prop value were increasing at a higher rate than the average value, your taxes would go up. If it were going up at the average, they'd stay the same. Less than average would mean a cut. This year, that'd mean that if your value had risen by 40%, your taxes would stay even, if the levy were staying even.

Given the conversation that's going on in City Hall right now, and the likelihood that the levy will increase by around 5%, it's safe-ish to assume that your taxes will go up by 5% if your value went up by 40%. Your taxes will go up by more than that if your value went up by more that 40%. If your value went up by around 30% you're probably staying even, or getting a small cut.

(BTW -- Thanks, gregw. We did what we could. It's hard to say whether or not our organizing had much of an impact.)

Council Leaders Poised to Slash Millions Following State Budget Failures

I found this quote interesting:

From a city planning perspective, I hope this does not mean a drastic negative impact on the process of providing public input and oversight to development in Providence. Any other thoughts on this?

Edit: My point is, there are boards and commissions that provide value in reviewing development in the city and if cuts in these bodies are made as is suggested in the press release, there is the potential for negative disruption in the process.

Archived