Hotel Sierra

atlrvr

With Concourse dead, Lodge Works is going it alone on the parcel next to the arena. They are proposing a Sierra Hotel, which will cater to extended stay. The hotel will have 15 floors plus it appears a rooftop amenity level. There will be NO retail :( other than a public bar/lounge within the lobby area (similar to the Westin in layout). There will also be a curb-cut along Trade, which is a shame.

Rendering looking east along Trade.

post-1289-1181331066_thumb.jpg

I actually like it better than Concourse, and I think the scale is probably more appropriate. I'm not usually a big fan of slapping brick on everything, but I think it's ok here.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...it fits better. I like the fact that they've encorporated some of the design elements from the arena. It'll be cool to have both the NASCAR HoF and the arena have towers "attached" to them.

I also love the fact that as a city we seem to yawn at 15 story towers being built downtown now.

I am glad to see this follow through. They will pay the city $2.1M for the land and then the hotel is estimated to cost $33M to build. The hotel will generate $430K a year in unrestricted property taxes. In addition about $300K in hotel/motel taxes from the 148 hotel rooms which will go to help pay off the Arena and the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

I am fine with the curb cut on Trade and having the hotel bar is sufficient street frontage retail at this time to satisfy me.

As there is a lot of street retail on this block, and there is already been a canceled project due to costs, I think it is reasonable that there is no street retail. Frankly, the hotel is a product for consumers, so a hotel lobby itself will enliven the street, especially with a bar/restaurant inside that lobby.

The design is rather boring, but this site was originally expected to be a 4 story building, so a 15 story building with a lot of room for visitors to stay will be great for this area. I'm happy this site is able to move forward. I was worried that it would get a curse after a failed project.

I think you're right, but it's also determinent on several factors such as overall square footage, building footprints (I think) and in this case, I think there is some latitude to what is considered retail. A publically accessible bar probably qualifies per city guidelines.

I remember a long time ago Wachovia got a variance for not having enough ground floor retail for 3 Wachovia. they made the case that the ratcliffe made up for it. I believe it is calculated on a sq ft basis and perhaps doesnt even apply to hotels. Looking at the newer urban projects up in Raleigh they seem to be doing a better job of requiring multiple storefronts at street level. We seem to get a lot of token single restaurant spaces here and there.

Anyway, neat design, thanks for the find. those corner balconies will have amazing views!

I remember a variance in 4th ward, or a conditional rezoning where the retail was omitted. The neighborhood powers didn't think it would be occupied and didn't want empty storefronts. If memory serves me(questionable) it was Jefferson Square.

I know there's no real comparison, but it's hard not to notice the irony of tearing down a 12 story brick former hotel (Hall House) and then building a new one of similar size a few blocks away. :mellow:

Hell, I like it. The design is generic, and with the way brick facades are being plopped onto buildings these days it'll probably have an unattractive exterior, but it'll take away a boring, suburbanesque field from a pretty bustling area on a lot of nights and add that much more activity. The affect itll have is what will be the positive of this project, not the design. Maybe it'll end up looking good.

This will blend a lot better with the arena than Concourse, but i did like Concourse's overall design (and height) much better. But hey, at least something is getting built there. This hotel will help out the arena retail parcels a lot so lacking retail on such a short stretch of Trade will not be a huge bummer. I am a little disturbed that they would put the curb cut on trade, but then again, that gives the hotel easier access for guests.

Having all these higher end hotels coming into town is pretty exciting. I'm a little confused that they would focus on extended stay, but I guess uptown does not have a lot of choices in that department anyway, so it makes financial sense, it just doesn't really correspond with the arena very well as most event guests are most likely looking for one or two nights. But I guess they'll have plenty to chose from within two blocks anyway.

If it's an extended stay hotel like you said, hopefully the people that are here for a week or weeks at a time will find it incredibly convenient to walk a block up the street to the "entertainment district" and frequent the bars, restaurants, and shops. This way, they'll contribute to the city by the hotel tax, the sales tax, and revenues from sales. Another hotel increases our chances of landing big events as well that require large amounts of hotel rooms.

A hotel by the arena IMO is better than another condo tower and uptown needs all the hotel space it can get so we can attract more higher profile events, although i too am confused on why it would be extended stay but hotel space is hotel space and uptown needs it. The brick facade and design does fit a lot better with the arena but i also think the height is ideal, 15 stories sounds great to me, with it being next the arena i dont think it would be too attractive to have a 30+ story condo building(claded in green glass) going up i think it would kind of skrink the arena IMO

Well, technically, ANY hotel can be extended stay, it's just the one's that are designated that often offer cheaper rates if you book yourself for a whole week as opposed to just the usual 1-2 night stays at a regular hotel. This should appeal to the businesses that are based downtown I would think so they can put their people up for any length of time.

After looking at the site plan for the first floor I did see an entrance for the bar along Trade St (as well as the main lobby entrance). I think the planned outdoor seating for the bar will be a nice touch along Trade as well.

It is unfortunate that Furman wasn't able to make the condos work on this site but I am glad that Sierra felt strong enough about this location to continue on without Furman.

More hotels are needed. I recently had a group of 8 from Baltimore visit Charlotte. They were ready to book a month and a half in advance. All the hotels in downtown were 100% booked, from the Westin to the Hampton Inn. We checked all levels of hotels and there was nothing. They ended up staying at the Holiday Inn on Woodlawn just because there was nothing available downtown. I love the fact that Charlotte can fill up rooms like that, but at the same time, doesn't that mean we need more rooms? I like the design, and I think a hotel at this location will be a hit.

Archived