Hotel Sierra

atlrvr

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it as long as the facade is all brick and glass (like in the original rendering I posted).....if this is EIFS, eh.

Any idea yorkconstruct on the materials?

Well after close inspection of the rendering, it looks like masonry, glass, Hardieboard

Thank you very much for this rendering

001_TS1.jpg

here is an extracted rendering so we don't have to DL. I feel like this is a great looking building and it has enough in common with the arena to blend wel, but enough differences to really make itself stand out as well. It'll be nice to have some more infill in the area!

Thanks for posting the image.

It looks like there will be retail fronting Trade Street. This thing has more potential than I expected. Does it look like there is a driveway entrance on Trade? That would be terrible. People coming out of Epicenter are bad enough.

I'm not sure if it will be a driveway or not, there is already an entrance there for the arena itself, so I think thats what you are seeing in the renderings. Currently Beck Imports uses that as a satellite location/test trive area/marketing zone for the downtown area. PERSONALLY, I think that the parking deck entrance is going to be on the other side of the building.

Just based off the original rendering, it appears the driveway will be on Trade St as there is a noticeable curb going into the building on the left. I don't think this should hurt pedestrian flow/safety too much as hotels generally don't produce "speedsters." I just hate that it will take away from possible Trade St storefronts.

I like it as long as the facade is all brick and glass (like in the original rendering I posted).....if this is EIFS, eh.

The brick around the parking deck levels will be thin brick, Above that will be modular brick, if i remember correctly there is also precast mixed in there, its been awhile since i've looked at the elevations of this building.

When i get back to my office i'll sort through my plans and see if i can find the elevation pages, and get back to you on exactly whats on it. I would post the pages but i'm afraid i'd get a knock on my door one day being served with a supenoa.

Full Credit given to architect KREHBIEL Architecture. In my opinion these documents are public records that can be found in the towns permit office and should be viewable by the general public.

My apologies on the lousy quality, you should be able to make out the notes. Its all brick, precast, glass & metal panels. No EIFS or Hardiboard

Elevation 1

Elevation 2

Elevation 3

Elevation 4

So the driveway entrance IS on Trade. Great. No street retail. I wouldn't mind seeing the entrance to the hotel on the corner. I suppose that given the small size of this lot it may not be practical to do anything else.

I'm still a bit surprised that they can even build a hotel on that lot, so in this case I can forgive the lack of a retail space.

As far as the backside, I just hope we don't have another Courtside on our hands.

• 1 month later...

it looks like it just started today. just a couple of bulldozers on site and a little dirt moved, they haven't even gotten rid of all the trees yet.

Well....the equipment on the site is there to remove the trees, but true construction is imminent.

This is great news for this area! In a 4 block radius, the following activity is happening:

- Caldwell recently made 2-way

- The Park has a new buyer than intends to finish the project

- The Ritz-Carlton is about to open

- The BofA office tower is still under construction

- UNC Charlotte has broken ground on its uptown building

- First Ward Park is approved for eventual STIF funding

- Center City Green parking/retail is still under construction

- Center City Green condos are rumored to be moving forward

- Nascar Hall of Fame is still under construction

I love the idea that the arena will have a modestly tall building adjacent to it, although it will block one my favorite angles of it.

The design itself seems to have some similarities with the arena, so I am hoping that it means the materials will be similar. PLEASE no stucco, especially not beige EIFS! I am so tired of that look among new buildings uptown.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived