Hotel Sierra

atlrvr

I went by this for the second time. It seems that the equipment has been in the same place for the past week. Maybe it just seems that way, and in this world right now, you can't blame anyone for going super slowly, but it certainly has me being more cautiously optimistic about the progress on the site.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

They are doing cast auger piles with the big machine. By looks of things, I would estimate they are 20-25% complete with the footings after maybe 2-3 days worth of actual work. Footings should be finished in a couple of weeks and they will floor the ground-floor slab. They will go vertical directly after that. I suspect we will see vertical construction in a month or less.

• 1 month later...

Someone mentioned in the First Ward thread that the underground parking and larger footprint of the UNC Charlotte building would probably result in a slower build, which I agree with.

I look forward to the Hotel Sierra as it is great that we are filling in the core of center city with density. I only hope this type of build-out continues.

^Streetlevel looks pretty good (aside from the parking deck entrance on Trade.

I was looking at the Arena today and I wondering how the interaction between the back of this hotel and the glass mezzanine will work. It seems like the glass mezzanine wraps around the corner of Caldwell/Trade to be staring directly at the back of the hotel. I guess we will see..

^Streetlevel looks pretty good (aside from the parking deck entrance on Trade.

I was looking at the Arena today and I wondering how the interaction between the back of this hotel and the glass mezzanine will work. It seems like the glass mezzanine wraps around the corner of Caldwell/Trade to be staring directly at the back of the hotel. I guess we will see..

It would be very cool if the back of the hotel actually was covered in two huge Screens that could serve as an advertisement for both arena events and Charlotte in general. I'm not certain if there are windows on the backside of the hotel but they could do something like on the NASDAQ buliding in Times Square

Full Credit given to architect KREHBIEL Architecture. In my opinion these documents are public records that can be found in the towns permit office and should be viewable by the general public.

My apologies on the lousy quality, you should be able to make out the notes. Its all brick, precast, glass & metal panels. No EIFS or Hardiboard

Elevation 1

Elevation 2

Elevation 3

Elevation 4

just wanted to bump this post up so people can see what each elevation looks like.

I like how it doesn't look like part of the arena, but definitely looks related to the arena in many ways. I am very surprised given how much seemingly open land around the area that such a large building ended up going on what could have easily just been labeled a plaza by the designers. Instead it puts a people generator to the east of the arena that will help add pedestrians even when the arena is not in use.

I think the building looks respectable. I am actually happy that we get a 17 story brick structure. That has actually been an underused material lately, as we've seen so much stucco and glass.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran across this street closure notice

NORTH CALDWELL STREET: December 2 - 4, 2009

· N. Caldwell St between E. Fifth St and E. Trade St closed 6 a.m. 12/2/2009

· Detour via a right on N. Davidson St, right on E. Trade St. and left on N. Caldwell St

· CATS buses will NOT be affected

· Re-opens 4 p.m. 12/4/2009

· Closed due to crane work on Hotel Sierra

· Q? Contact Jeff Boenisch at 704-336-3888

• 2 weeks later...

At the pace Charlotte is putting up hotels in the uptown area, they might be able to lure the super bowl in the future.

Sadly Charlotte is too cold, and bank of america stadium is too domeless. Also the hotels that are being built are not big (around 150 rooms average), and the biggest hotel in the city only has 700 rooms, while that may be the second largest in NC, its pretty sad when compared to other cities.

There is a "Will Charlotte ever host the Superbowl?" thread somewhere in the coffee house, please continue the conversation there.

As far as Hotel Sierra, does anyone know if they still are a suite style/extended stay hotel, or the more typical upscale variety?

There is a "Will Charlotte ever host the Superbowl?" thread somewhere in the coffee house, please continue the conversation there.

As far as Hotel Sierra, does anyone know if they still are a suite style/extended stay hotel, or the more typical upscale variety?

I toured the new sierra in the durham area, and it looked to be a suite style/extended day with a luxury, type of Lake tahoe type cabin twist, hope that helps...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived