What retailers or restaurants do you think that Birmingham is missing?

kayman

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

others may disagree, but i'd like to see a trader joe's; i really think a single well-placed TJ location would get all the business it wanted in bham. i would add wild oats to that, but they're being eaten by whole foods, and WF isn't altogether the same thing.

in my dreams, an in-n-out restaurant, although their quality control standards will not allow them to franchise very far east of AZ (a good thing).

perhaps a virgin megastore or (when they were solvent) tower records, but bham can't sustain that anyway.

not really a chain retail store, but i'd like to see bham get SOME kind of comprehensive video / dvd rental store - the kind that surprises you because it has that DVD of some ridiculously obscure old movie that only you know about, vaguely. i've seen a couple of locally owned stores like this in other cities, and they are indescribably head and shoulders above chain rental stores, or even netflix. maybe bham has this, and i've just never stumbled upon it...but i'm almost 10000 per cent positive it doesn't have the kind of store i'm talking about.

I would love to see some of these come to the area or the some of these that the area should have(even though I could care less)...all of these are chains:

Restaurants/Grocers

Fazoli's(inexpensive Italian to be located throughout the metro area)

Steak & Shake(throughout the area)

Panda Express/Manchu Wok(stand alones throughtout the area)

Baja Fresh(an upscale area)

Bravo Italian(an upscale area)

Lindt Chocolate(The Summit or Brookwood Village)

Teavana(The Summit, Riverchase Galleria,Brookwood Village)

Dunkin Donuts(throughout the area)

Baskin Robbins(throughout the area)

My Friends Place(The Summit, Trussville, Patton Creek)

Maggianos Italian Restaurant(an upscale area)

Cinnabon(one of the malls)

la Madeleine(an French restaurant--an upscale area)

Rafferty's of Birmingham(Irish pub/restaurant--Trussville or Gardendale)

Cheddars(Trussville, Crestwood/Eastwood, Gardendale/Fultondale, or Leeds/Moody)

Abuelo's Mexican Embassy(an upscale area)

Pei Wei(an upscale area)

Trader Joe's(Hoover, Vestavia Hills, 280)

Atlanta Bread Co.(at least 2-one somewhere in the metro area and one on the near

---Highlands/ForestPark)

Buca di Beppo(somewhere in the area)

Doc's Greens(Trussville, Alabaster/Pelham, Hoover, Vestavia Hills/Homewood/Mountain Brook)

Jack in the Box(throughout the area)

Sizzler or Denny's(throughout the area)

Nestle Toll House(Patton Creek, The Summit, or Five Points South)

Central Birmingham

Hooters(downtown, Five Points South, or Lakeview)

Coyote Ugly(downtown, Five Points South)

Jillians(downtown, Five Points South)

TGI Fridays(downtown, Lakeview)

Howl at the Moon(downtown,Five Points South, Lakeview)

Books-a-Million(Midtown near RR Park,downtown, Lakeview)

Krispy Kreme(Midtown near RR Park)

Joe's Crab Shack(Lakeview)

Dave and Buster(Riverchase Galleria or Patton Creek)

Johnny Rockets(give Southside Birmingham another chance)

Retail

Nordstrom+Spa Nordstrom, Nordstrom Cafe(Brookwood Village(perhaps and addition to the mall at the old ---Convenience Center)/The Summit/Riverchase Galleria)

ULTA(anywhere)

Orvis(anywhere)

Guess(I love this store-The Summit, Brookwood Village, or a new high end center)

MAC Cosmetics(The Summit or a new high end center)

Polo by Ralph Lauren(The Summit or a new high end center)

Lacoste Boutique(The Summit or a new high end center)

Armani Exchange(The Summit or a new high end center)

Tiffany & Co. or Mont Blanc(Brookwood Village or a new high end center)

Louis Vuitton(an actual store--Brookwood Village, or a new high end center)

Gucci(The Summit or a new high end center)

Hugo Boss(The Summit or a new high end center)

L' Occitane(The Summit, Brookwood Village, Riverchase Galleria)

Kiehl's(The Summit, Brookwood Village, Riverchase Galleria)

Brighton Collectibles(not sure)

The Picture People(in all area malls)

Cole Haan(The Summit, Riverchase Galleria, Brookwood Village, or a new upscale center)

Steve Madden(The Summit or a new upscale center)

Crate & Barrel(Patton Creek, or a new high end center)

Borders(at least one somewhere in the metro area)

Fossil(in one of the malls or Watermark Place)

As seen on TV(Riverchase Galleria)

Solstice(The Summit or a new high end center)

Fredericks of Hollywood(Riverchase Galleria)

Bachrach(Brookwood Village or Riverchase Galleria)

I realize that I had a lot of time on my hands. The Birmingham area needs at least some of the above in addition to...

another Costco(Trussville)

World Market(Trussville)

Lonestar

Macy's

Chipotle(only one in Hoover--more throughout the area)

What I mean about somethings coming to a new high end center, I had in mind of a center in eastern Jeffco such as Liberty Park. I was thinking of a small boutique center similar to a Boca Raton center with boutiques. As mentioned above Lacoste, Gucci, Armani Exchange, Polo by Palph Lauren, Guess, Steve Madden, Solstice, Tiffany & Co.,or Mont Blanc, Kate Spade, Louis Vuitton, MAC Cosmetics, and at least 2 really nice restaurants--Abuelo's, la Madeleine, Bonefish, Pei Wei, Bruster's Ice Cream, or Lindt Chocolate, etc.

I have nothing new to add to the list, but of what's mentioned above I would like to see Trader Joes, Borders, Steak and Shake (I wish In-N-Out was a possibility) and Dave and Busters,Jillians or GameWorks enter the market. Given the success of Whole Foods and the recent expansion of Trader Joes into the Atlanta and Charlotte markets, I think Birmingham will have a Trader Joes before too long. I'm not sure why Borders has not entered the market, perhaps it's because Books a Million has such a strong presence in the area. Steak and Shake SHOULD already be in Birmingham. There's franchises in Montgomery, Mobile and Huntsville. Dave and Busters, Jillians and GameWorks are all awesome, I hope Birmingham gets one of them someday. Pehaps D&B will be attached to the new entertainment district (doubtful). I don't see a D&B working downtown at this point. However, in Atlanta both D&B's are located in the metro (one in Marietta and one in Duluth) and Jillians (which is essentially the same thing) is located at Dicover Mills mall in Gwinnett. I think a D&B or Jillians could work somewhere in the metro, possibly Hoover at the site of the old Galleria 10.

I have nothing new to add to the list, but of what's mentioned above I would like to see Trader Joes, Borders, Steak and Shake (I wish In-N-Out was a possibility) and Dave and Busters,Jillians or GameWorks enter the market. Given the success of Whole Foods and the recent expansion of Trader Joes into the Atlanta and Charlotte markets, I think Birmingham will have a Trader Joes before too long. I'm not sure why Borders has not entered the market, perhaps it's because Books a Million has such a strong presence in the area. Steak and Shake SHOULD already be in Birmingham. There's franchises in Montgomery, Mobile and Huntsville. Dave and Busters, Jillians and GameWorks are all awesome, I hope Birmingham gets one of them someday. Pehaps D&B will be attached to the new entertainment district (doubtful). I don't see a D&B working downtown at this point. However, in Atlanta both D&B's are located in the metro (one in Marietta and one in Duluth) and Jillians (which is essentially the same thing) is located at Dicover Mills mall in Gwinnett. I think a D&B or Jillians could work somewhere in the metro, possibly Hoover at the site of the old Galleria 10.

i'd like for QT (quick trip) gas stations to replace some of these assy stations in the metro. EVERYwhere seems to have these wonderfully overstocked stations except alabama.

my tastes are so highbrow, i know...gas stations...

I would also like to see a House of Blues in Birmingham. Birmingham is in dire need of another quality small to midsize music venue. WorkPlay is a fantastic venue and Bottletree is cool, but neither venue books bands I like. I'm a huge fan of hard rock and metal and occasionally the bands I like will play Boutwell, Sloss, Zydeco (very rare), Verizon (even more rare) or Cave9, but when Five Points Music Hall became Banana Joe's (BLAH!) it created a major void that has yet to be filled. I really hope that changes. I'm going to go on a little rant here, but why isn't the Family Values Tour going to Verizon? Why have the Deftones not played in Birmingham since 2001? What about the Slayer/Marilyn Manson tour? Tool played Birmingham a few weeks ago and it SOLD out. Kids in Birmingham want to see good rock shows, and this doesn't mean Nickelback. Why is no one bringing them to town? Sorry, it just really pisses me off.

The whole fiasco involving Five Points South Music Hall, you can blame Clear Channel for that. They were the owners of the place and its promoter, SFX. They opted not to renew the lease on the place in 2001 and went away soon after.

• 1 month later...

Now that I'm looking at it, I really with there was a SuperTarget located closer to Downtown. All the Target stores are within the range of 8-10 miles from the City Center, and the closest SuperTarget is located on U.S. 280 while the closet regular Target will be in Fultondale. I don't understand how with all the marketing location studying the folks at Target has done why they haven't at least opened a store in either Homewood, Vestavia Hills considering the higher economics with the 3 municipalities (including Mt. Brook). :(

Now that I'm looking at it, I really with there was a SuperTarget located closer to Downtown. All the Target stores are within the range of 8-10 miles from the City Center, and the closest SuperTarget is located on U.S. 280 while the closet regular Target will be in Fultondale. I don't understand how with all the marketing location studying the folks at Target has done why they haven't at least opened a store in either Homewood, Vestavia Hills considering the higher economics with the 3 municipalities (including Mt. Brook). :(

Yeah I noticed that too. I wish one would be built on Lakeshore somewhere or at the Trinity Steel site since Wal Mart doesn't seem to be interested anymore. Are there any urban Target stores anywhere besides NYC? I would even love to see the city center get a Target like in the Lakeview District or the Pepper Place area.I love that area.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Birmingham should have a bp connect convience/gas station just like in Atlanta.

Dave and Buster's or Jillians should also have locations in Hoover, Pelham, Pell City(now included in the metro. area), Trussville, or in Vestavia Hills.

Here's what I think what Downtown/Metro B'ham, The Summit, Colonial Brookwood Village, Riverchase Galleria, and Century Plaza/Eastwood Shopping Center needs:

1. Nordstrom at Riverchase Galleria

2. Guess? at Riverchase Galleria, Colonial Brookwood Village, and The Summit

3. Armani Exchange at The Summit or Riverchase Galleria

4. Tiffany and Co./Kate Spade/Polo by Ralph Lauren/New York & Co. at Riverchase Galleria, Colonial Brookwood Village, The Summit, and at Century Plaza

I will add more to the list soon.

Well, I guess some of the restaurants/retailers/entertainment options on my list at the top are in the process of opening in the area. Baskin Robbins and Dunkin Donuts are on their way. There has been talk of Coyote Ugly as a potential tenant at the downtown entertainment district, and talk of a major bookstore in the central part of Birmingham so I guess a tiny portion of my list has come to reality. No Steve Madden at The Summit, yet another Clarks...great, just what we needed. Now there is a whole lot more that I will be looking out for.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of restaurants are on the verge of expanding into Birmingham with plans for many locations. Schlotsky's Deli are planning to expand with 8 more restaurants...bring a total of 11 in Birmingham(I think they mean 10 since the one on State Farm Parkway closed).

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stor...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

I am wondering where all these are planning to expand...Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins with a whole lot of expansions; Max and Erma's with plans for 5 restaurants; and now Schlotsky's Deli. Others include Olive Garden with a Alabaster location coming, and a Trussville location talked about; Longhorn steakhourse with a new Alabaster location; Fire + Ice with a debut in downtown Birmingham; and Whataburger with more locations planned throughout the area. I am sure there are more to come. It seems as if the market is getting really crowded, and will force other establishments to close. I hope this isn't the case. I guess Birmingham's growing population is able to support more and more...I sure hope so.

Perhaps the growth concentrated areas include Trussville, Hoover, Vestavia Hills, 280, Homewood, Crestwood/eastern Birmingham, Central/Southside Birmingham, Calera, Alabaster, Pelham, Bessemer/McCalla, Helena, Gardendale, Fultondale, Leeds, Moody, and perhaps Pell City.

I really don't know about Hueytown, Pleasant Grove, Warrior, Springville, Blount County, Pinson, Adamsville, Forestdale, or the rest of Birmingham city.

It should be interesting to see how everything unfolds. I really hope for only good things.

Honestly, I do believe that the market can support these establishments as this market is greatly underserved still. Now the Olive Garden in Trussville, I hope doesn't come at the expense of the current Crestwood/Eastwood location as its location does pretty well considering the area's shift from a primary retail area to a secondary one. :unsure:

Okay, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there supposed to be a Target opening along 459 in Bessemer/McCalla? Well, if so I wonder why another is going to open right down the street in Hoover at The Grove? I hear The Grove will have Target(super) and Best Buy, which I think will be in McCalla as well. If this is the case, Target should seriously consider bringing an urban Target to Birmingham instead of opening stores down the street from one another first. Also, Hoover already has a Best Buy in around the Galleria, so why close that one only to move closer to a proposed store opening down the expressway.

Archived