King Cotton & O'Henry hotels/downtown evolution

crowe1856

Anyone know the history or condition of these two buildings that led them to be torn down rather than refurbished or reused? I've only been in Greensboro three years, but it seems hardly possible given the current state of infill that these buildings stood on the only suitable land for a parking deck & the ridiculous N&R parcel. In a great many cities outside of NC, it's old buildings like the aforementioned hotels (along with warehouses) that would be converted into condos & apartments, or modernized to serve their original purpose; thereby preserving a city's character and density. Greensboro's current push to infill with new condo buildings & rumors of downtown hotels makes it all seem somewhat ass-backwards, and I'm hoping someone can provide an explanation other than poor planning.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Documents at the Library of Congress' website state that there was fire damage at the O'Henry, but it doesn't give any information about where or how bad the damage was. My best guess about the King Cotton is that it was simply abandoned and considered a 'blight' or something. I'd imagine the News & Record building (which replaced it) was considered to be a model for urban renewel when it was built.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is a postcard photo of the King Cotton (corner of East Market & Davie Streets) If only this building could have been saved. It would have been great to see it converted into luxury apartments today. The King Cotton was the same age as the Guilford Building. Both were built in 1926.

2104899354_36d5eb32ca_o.jpg

In comparison here is the King Cotton in Memphis. It too was demolished

60194045_d032158d74.jpg

Archived