Alexandria Pics

richyb83

I was able to get a few shots of downtown Alexandria one evening; after attending workshop for a couple of days.

Sorry I was unable to take more pics, ran out daylight. Wish I could have taken some of the riverfront area that had historic museum and new museum with amphitheatre

The 10th Largest City in Louisiana; 2007 population estimates for Alexandria was 49,600.

Alexandria Tower(left) and Capitol One Building

alexandria001ke0.jpg

This older building was vacant at street level.

alexandria002fi6.jpg

Alexandria's Tallest Building(a tall 10-stories,128ft') almost qualified as a "high-rise" (according to Emporis high-rise +12)

and the gritty backside linnear buildings along Third Street

alexandria003qc5.jpg

alexandria005kh8.jpg

Downtown's most vibrant street

alexandria006ow4.jpg

alexandria007pj1.jpg

Impressed by the size of the historical Hotel Bentley now vacant; skywalk to the left connecting the Convenion Center

alexandria008ye3.jpg

alexandria009nn1.jpg

alexandria010xe2.jpg

Jackson Street bridge over the Red River to Pineville

alexandria011vt6.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great set of photos, Richy! So nice to see something from Alexandria on the board!

It's been years since I last visited downtown Alexandria, but it doesn't look like much has changed. Still, a cool area with lots of nice historic buildings.

Thanks again for the tour! :thumbsup:

No problem Nate, glad you enjoyed it. There are some nice historical buildings in Alexandria. I was impressed with the Convention Center area. But like you said, no too much has changed. There looked to be a new museum near the riverfront.

And according to wikipedia...A nearly 100'ft. tall high-rise is under construction that will contain Regions Bank in the Centre, a commercial development on the west end of downtown. SORRY to have missed a pic of the construction.

^Thanks. At your suggested spot Byrde, the Sleep Inn in Pineville. It was a newer hotel and a good location and within walking distance of my 84 year old great Aunt. Thanks for the advice :thumbsup: Holiday Inn Express off Mac Arthur would have been my 2nd choice.

Thanks IC, I'll be making my way to the Ga. forum shortly to check-out your pics....we got some bad T-Storms knockin' on the door!

Great to hear from you Brian :thumbsup: How have you been doing?? Does MemberZ mean you have limited post?? Hope everything is O.K. I have been in the SBC Forums posting some this past week.

I have only been on the outskirts(245 Loop East) of Texarkana...Arkansas....I know the state line runs right thru the middle. Do those two city's share the same downtowns?? That's really cool, not many places in the U.S. like that. Kansas City and Bristol (TN,VA) come to mind.

I have only been on the outskirts(245 Loop East) of Texarkana...Arkansas....I know the state line runs right thru the middle. Do those two city's share the same downtowns?? That's really cool, not many places in the U.S. like that. Kansas City and Bristol (TN,VA) come to mind.

Thanks Nate for the Texarkana breakdown :thumbsup: Sounds like an interesting place yall. I was in too much a hurry to get to Hot Springs last time I rode thru. Intersting "dry-line" between the counties(states)

I think I understand Brian. No problemo ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like a ghost town. I never actually went to the downtown area...just passed by it once.

I had a job offer in Alexandria last year. I went to look around the area, but didn't spend much time downtown. I was actually impressed. The cost of living seemed very low, the town seemed nice and clean, decent schools, not much traffic, and great housing options. It was a pretty landscape, too. It just didn't seem like a good town for a younger guy. If I were older and had kids, I probably would have appreciated Alexandria more...but that isn't the case.

Anyways...I ended up in Lafayette instead.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice upgrade at the airport, thanks for posting this Gerard :thumbsup:

Was glad to see Alexandria area get the Union Tank Car plant last year?...with 1,500 new jobs??

As a kid I remember stopping in Alexandria's airport, and thinking it was one of the few airports I had ever been to that was smaller than BR's airport. :lol:

Nice upgrade at the airport, thanks for posting this Gerard :thumbsup:

Was glad to see Alexandria area get the Union Tank Car plant last year?...with 1,500 new jobs??

As a kid I remember stopping in Alexandria's airport, and thinking it was one of the few airports I had ever been to that was smaller than BR's airport. :lol:

The old airport terminal will be getting a 1.6 million makeover into a hub for fixed wing aircraft:

This will likely be Million Air's most modern FBO in the state of Louisiana, Elliot said, adding that no furniture will be transferred from its current location, as everything is being purchased new.

One of the most interesting parts of the renovation will be the addition of a private movie theater, which includes $24,000 worth of electronic equipment, seven plush chairs, 900 movie titles and computer equipment that recognizes and is able to cater to individual users.

That means that if a pilot comes in and chooses a movie but doesn't have time to finish watching it, he or she can simply put that movie on hold. When that pilot stops at another Million Air location anywhere in the United States, he or she can punch in a personal code and can continue watching the movie.

The new building also will include two suites, a weather station, computer room, private phone room, conference room with curbed glass, showers, a washer and dryer, lockers and recliners that lie flat like a bed.

Million Air also is offering an increasing variety of services at the Alexandria International Airport such as a flight training school with Noble Flight Services, a calibration lab with JM Test Labs and a 24-hour service control tower.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, prior to Katrina, it was rather accepted in the economic development world that Alexandria was about to supplant Lafayette as the fastest growing region in the state, from a jobs-creation point of view. After Katrina, of course, that all changed, but they've still been growing just as fast. They're on another chain-store development kick right now with a David's Bridal, Circuit City, new Wal-Mart etc, that I'm not sure how I feel about. :huh: Alexandria is definitely the Hattiesburg of Louisiana.

That's funny, born and raised in H'burg and I've never heard any city referred to as the "Hattiesburg" of _______ - I've often thought H'burg and Alex were similar, though - Population, location on interstate, hell, they even have a similar latitudinal line

That's funny, born and raised in H'burg and I've never heard any city referred to as the "Hattiesburg" of _______ - I've often thought H'burg and Alex were similar, though - Population, location on interstate, hell, they even have a similar latitudinal line

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived