Belk to Close Madison Square store

jmanhsv

Belk officially announced on Friday (June 8) that they will be remodeling and expanding the Parisian store at Madison Square and closing the current Belk location there in August. The current Parisian store, like the other 29 remaining stores, will change its name to Belk in September after a $3.5M expansion and renovation.

Huntsville Times article

So, does this mean that another department store (like Macy's) will come and take the current Belk space, or will Madison Square take this opportunity and convert the space into something else?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Belk officially announced on Friday (June 8) that they will be remodeling and expanding the Parisian store at Madison Square and closing the current Belk location there in August. The current Parisian store, like the other 29 remaining stores, will change its name to Belk in September after a $3.5M expansion and renovation.

<a href="http://www.al.com/business/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/business/11813805347120.xml&coll=1" target="_blank">

Huntsville Times article</a>

So, does this mean that another department store (like Macy's) will come and take the current Belk space, or will Madison Square take this opportunity and convert the space into something else?

Yeah, I know that Macy's has been having financial troubles lately, but there aren't any other department stores that might be looking to expand in the region (besides the ones already at Madison Square), which makes me wonder if the mall might just divide the tenant space into smaller mid-high-end shops and restaurants and create a "mini lifestyle center" to compete with Bridge Street.

Yeah, I know that Macy's has been having financial troubles lately, but there aren't any other department stores that might be looking to expand in the region (besides the ones already at Madison Square), which makes me wonder if the mall might just divide the tenant space into smaller mid-high-end shops and restaurants and create a "mini lifestyle center" to compete with Bridge Street.

Archived