Washington D.C.

tamias6

Washington D.C. To State or not to State?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should Washington become a state?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Explain)

In one of the threads here in the coffee house, a strong debate has erupted about how to best give Washington D.C.'s 600,000 people representation in the U.S. Government. Some say it should be made into a state while others say it should not. Still an additional few believe it should be handed to Maryland or Virginia. So what to you think. How should the people who call Washington D.C home be given representation?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A unpopular as the idea may be, I live in downtown Washington and still think that statehood- or even additional representation in Congress might not be a good thing. Washington used to fare pretty well under the wings of Congress. While direct rule by Congress hasn't been a reality for a long time, it was set up this way for many reasonos- the foremost of which would be the de-politiciaclization of the District. We have adequate representation as it stands. Frankly, I'd rather have better management of the city than worry about more representation in Congress. Believe it or not, Marion Barry's legacy of cronyism and mismanagement still lives on today. Fenty is a good Mayor, as was Anthony Williams. They still have to live with many problems left behind from years of corruption and inefficient government. I don't think that the city is even large enough to warrant additional representation in Congress. Throw out whatever statistics you care to, but I don't see it as a needed- or positive- step.

Let's say state worthiness is indeed based on size alone. Should Alaska be broken into several smaller states because its too big while merging togather many of the new england states because each one is too small? If that is not enough, let's have some fun by taking this to a nation-state level. Should Russia be broken apart because it takes up 1/6 of the world's land mass while handing the Vatican back to Italy because its only the size of several city blocks? The point is size alone just does not cut the mustard. Other factors in addition to size need to be weighed in order to come to a sound decision on state worthiness.

Rhode Island has only 39 municipalities.

I say give DC a House rep that votes, and that's about it. They don't need to be a state because it's too small. Being a part of Maryland goes against the intentions of the founding fathers, and would be a messy situation for the state trying to incorporate a city like that.

Let's say state worthiness is indeed based on size alone. Should Alaska be broken into several smaller states because its too big while merging togather many of the new england states because each one is too small? If that is not enough, let's have some fun by taking this to a nation-state level. Should Russia be broken apart because it takes up 1/6 of the world's land mass while handing the Vatican back to Italy because its only the size of several city blocks? The point is size alone just does not cut the mustard. Other factors in addition to size need to be weighed in order to come to a sound decision on state worthiness.

Let's keep it a federal district, but provide representation by allowing Congressional seats by population (one now) and one US Senate seat. I don't think our founding fathers envisioned there being so many permanent residents in the district, and those residents deserve representation.

in response to tombarnes...

i have a feeling that congress takes DC into consideration because it is essentially their second home (as well as the president's home) and home to many federal employees. if the city administration were better, it'd be different. but essentially, you'd have a state governor who ruled over one city with one mayor. there's no need for a state government to oversee what the city government is doing if there's only one city.

i do think they deserve representation in congress, and allowing 1 voting member, at least in the house, would probably suffice, but a senator wouldn't be bad either.

here's a question... does the non-voting rep get elected by the city residents or is it an appointed position?

one other thing to take into consideration... if they become a state, and the federal government wants to take over more land from the city (perhaps displace residents), can the state say "no"? can't the city say "no" as it stands right now?

How about keeping it a Federal District, but incorporating it into the neighboring Maryland area as far as representation and voting. So, when the Maryland Senate seat comes up, DC natives get to vote and get represented by that seat.

interesting prospect. would they vote only in the state elections as well, getting representation by the maryland governor and legislature (in effect becoming part of maryland), or only the national elections?

In the prior thread when this question came up, I mentioned that D.C. is different socially and economically than either Maryland or Virginia. When I was in D.C. it sure didn't feel like Virginia or Maryland.

It's a different place--make it a state.

We'd take them over here in Va... we need a major, major city and to have two capitals within the same state again... yay!

What about city-state classification? Is that technically what it is? If PR becomes a state maybe DC should to keep the even number?

I am opposed to "giving" D.C. to another state. But if it must happen that way, let's hope Virginia gets it. It would almost guarantee Virginia being a blue state in perpetuity.:)

Maryland is already a reliable blue state. Virginia's electoral college votes would certainly help the Dems every four years.

I still say make D.C. and P.R. states.

I would say keep it a federal district, but give them voting Congressional representation. It is unfair for the people of DC are taxed as everybody else, but doesn't get their voices heard on key issues in Congress as the rest of us.

I am opposed to "giving" D.C. to another state. But if it must happen that way, let's hope Virginia gets it. It would almost guarantee Virginia being a blue state in perpetuity.:)

Maryland is already a reliable blue state. Virginia's electoral college votes would certainly help the Dems every four years.

The issue here is that the notion of democracy gets suspended at the banks of the Potomac. Why is it that the 600,000+ people who call the District of Columbia are somehow lesser citizens than the 600,000+ residents of Wyoming and of the other sparsely populated states? DC has no representation in Congress - no Representative and no Senator. Eleanor Holmes Norton does not have a vote, so it doesn't matter what ceremonial duties they grant her because when it comes time to vote, the residents of DC have no say on how their tax dollars are spent, whether their children will be sent into war, whether their air and water will be polluted, etc. Congress maintains an autocratic hold over DC. Congress can overrule anything that the mayor or city council does if they do not agree with it. It is a complete farce. Republicans tend to be against DC statehood because the city is a majority African American city. African Americans have historically voted for Democrats and by granting DC statehood, they would automatically be ceding a House seat and two Senate seats to the Democrats. But, the issue of DC statehood is not a political issue just like global warming is not a political issue - it's about doing what's right for the citizens of our country - all of them, not just the ones who agree with you.

For all the ideas that put D.C. into Virginia that will not happen. For one, The portion of D.C. that had been given to the Federal Government to use for the District has already been returned to Virginia. It is basically the County of Arlington. The District was originally a diamond shape. The area of the current District all came from Maryland and if any of it was returned to a state, it would be Maryland. Virginia requested that the land by returned to the state because it was not being developed by the Federal government and the state thought that they could do a better job of developing it. The land now comprising the county was retroceded to Virginia in a July 9, 1846 act of Congress that took effect in 1847. So there is a precedent, but Maryland would have to want it back. Maryland might want parts of the 3rd District, but I don't think that they would want the entire District.

I do not think that Puerto Rico wants to become a state. It has many advantages under the current system that I'm not certain that they would want to give up. The District is another situation and one that will keep the country split on making it a state.

as for DC, what if they left the federal government owned land to the feds (kind of like how the UN building in NYC is international land) and give the rest to maryland? if the feds need land, they're going to take it, but considering how it's been for years and years, i doubt tht would happen.

Archived