Is your city participating in the US Mayor's Climate Protection Agreement?

Seattle Mayor Nickels, realizing cities would need to take the lead on climate change in this country, spearheaded the U.S. Mayor's Climate Protection Agreement. Basically embracing emission reductions outlined in the Kyoto Accord Guidelines. 527 American cities have adopted this agreement as of 5/23/07.

Has your city signed this agreement? I am proud to say my city has.

As far as efforts my city has made, they are reviewing automobile selection in the fleet and recently purchased a few Hybrids and more fuel efficient sub-compacts to replace older retiring mid-size and full-size fleet cars. A recommendation will be made as how to continue.

The hybrid selected is the Honda Civic, and the city is tracking MPG at 41 since Dec. The sub-compact is the Nissan Sentra, and it is tracking 27 mpg.

The city has also vastly expanded recyclables that can be 'dumped' in the bin and is promoting recycling with a "Feed the Bin" contest.

I hope to see the city expand it's efforts as time progresses.

US Mayors Climate Protection Agreement

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My current city, Lexington, Kentucky, has a large fleet of hybrid vehicles. They purchased numerous Toyota Prius' years ago, and have a newer fleet on the roads today. They are also purchasing hybrid Honda Civics. It would not surprise me that, in the future, they would jump the shark to a Civic FCX.

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm proud for what my city has done; from capturing methane gas at the sewage treatment plant, to going flourescent in every light bulb in city buildings, to alternative fuel vehicles, even every city owned stoplight is LED now! Plus more to come!! (hopefully tax incentives for green building initiatives and conservation measures!) :yahoo:

FOX8 WGHP News Story on Winston-Salem, NC's green initiatives!

• 3 months later...

Sprawlorado Springs has not... no surprise there.

Denver and Boulder both have, however. Once again, no big surprise.

As for what Colorado Springs is doing? The city recently installed it's first E85 pump, and owns 93 flex-fuel vehicles. According to the city's website, Colorado Springs biodiesel program has reduced 2,500 tons of carbon monoxide emissions, and 2,000 city owned vehicles have used the fuel in the last four years. It also say's Colorado Springs alternative fuel program is the second largest in Colorado.

... so that's something, I guess.

Archived