NCAA Football

TennBear

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read an article that said that ND is hamstrung by its high admission standards, just like Vanderbilt and Stanford are. While there might be something to that, I don't really buy it since sites like scouts.com and rivals.com have consistently rated ND recruiting classes right up there with Florida, LSU, Texas and the other big schools. I just think that Weis isn't a very good college coach. Developing and coaching a bunch of 19 year old students is a lot different from developing and coaching the New England Patriots.

Florida should be really good next year, but I'll be a lot of underclassmen will turn pro in 2009 due to the likelihood of a rookie wage scale being instituted in the NFL in 2010.

The BIG 12 messed up jumping Oklahoma ahead of Texas IMO(not that I'm a Longhorn fan). Texas beat them already on a neutral field; how can this happen?? So Texas gets to stay home and watch TWO teams(Okla/Mizzou) it beat in the BIG 12 Championship??? Frustrating how the BEST sport "College Football" is so flawed sometimes!

The Florida/Alabama game will be FUN to watch!

Where was the defense in some of those games played last week??? Crazy scores like!!!

Oklahoma 61- Okla St 41;

Ga Tech 45- Georgia 42;

Eastern Mich 56- Cent Michigan 52,

Rice 56- Houston 42;

Kansas 40- Mizzou 37;

Oregon65- Oregon State 38, ;

Fla Atlantic 57- Fla In't 50 (OT)

I wouldn't put this solely on the conference... The voters and computers in the BCS moved Oklahoma ahead of Texas, not the Big 12. I think the bigger issue is this exposes a flaw in the Conference Championship Game. No offense to Missouri, I think they have a solid team, but they are probably the 4th or 5th best team in the Big 12 this season.

The BIG 12 messed up jumping Oklahoma ahead of Texas IMO(not that I'm a Longhorn fan). Texas beat them already on a neutral field; how can this happen?? So Texas gets to stay home and watch TWO teams(Okla/Mizzou) it beat in the BIG 12 Championship??? Frustrating how the BEST sport "College Football" is so flawed sometimes!

I agree. Texas should be ahead of Oklahoma because they beat them, and it exposes a big flaw in the way the Big 12 handles things. The SEC does a better job with tiebreakers; their rule says if there is a tie and the 2 teams are within 5 rankings of one another, the tie goes in favor of the winner of the head-to-head matchup. However, its hard to say who's the better team...keep in mind the Sooners just crushed the same Texas Tech team that (narrowly) beat the 'horns. I would think that if Texas and Oklahoma played 10 games on a neutral field, each team would probably win 5.

Agreed! If Oklahoma and Texas play 10 times on a neutral field; I think it goes 5-5. Missouri should have defered their North Division; and let Texas play them instead. Oklahoma clocked Mizzou 62-21 tonight. The Sooners become the 1st Team in History to score 60+ 5 straight games!!

The Florida/Alabama game was entertaining! The Gators Win 31-20. But a bit of a paradox in the "computer polls"/BCS; why was Florida the 10 point favorite; only ranked #4...and #1 Alabama the underdog??

So I'm guessing it's Florida vs. Oklahoma in the Championship??

Edited by richyb83

The Florida/Alabama game was entertaining! The Gators Win 31-20. But a bit of a paradox in the "computer polls"/BCS; why was Florida the 10 point favorite; only ranked #4...and #1 Alabama the underdog??

Because as amazing as computers are they do not take into account emotion, and they can only cumpute the raw data. They can not SEE how a team like Florida just wills themselves through determination to do whatever necessary to win.

People can see this. That's why Florida is #1 in the AP poll by a wide margin.

^ So true Skybolt....either a Final 4(ideal this season) or an Elite 8 playoff would really be nice! But then the 9th place team would be mad because they were left out??

It's BOWL time again!!! Some more new bowls added to the mix; now up to a crazy 34 games!!

7 Pre-Christmas bowl games this year....4 today/tommorrow!!(depending where you are?)

*Dec. 20th*

EAGLEBANK BOWL -Washington DC

Navy (8-4) vs. Wake Forest (7-5)

NEW MEXICO BOWL

Colorado State (6-6) vs. Fresno State (7-5)

ST.PETERSBURG(Fla.) BOWL

South Florida (7-5) vs. Memphis (6-6)

LAS VEGAS BOWL

BYU (10-2) vs. Arizona (7-5)

Dec. 21st

NEW ORLEANS BOWL

Troy (8-4) vs. Southern Mississippi (6-6)

Dec. 23rd

POINSETTIA BOWL -San Diego

Boise State (12-0) vs. TCU (10-2)

Dec. 24th

HAWAII BOWL

Hawaii (7-6) vs. Notre Dame (6-6)

Some good bowl games so far!!! TCU spoiled Boise State's bid for a perfect season; Arizona outlasted #16 BYU; Notre Dame hammered Hawaii to break a 9 GAME bowl losing streak.

EAGLEBANK BOWL -Washington DC .....Wake Forest 29 Navy 19

NEW MEXICO BOWL.....Colorado State 40 Fresno State 35

ST.PETERSBURG(Fla.) BOWL.....South Florida 41 Memphis 14

LAS VEGAS BOWL.....Arizona 31 BYU 21

NEW ORLEANS BOWL ......Southern Mississippi 30 Troy 27 OT

POINSETTIA BOWL ..... TCU 17 Boise State 16

HAWAII BOWL....Notre Dame 49 Hawaii 21

MOTOR CITY BOWL...Florida Atlantic 24 Central Michigan 21

Today the Meineke Bowl has gotten off to a exciting start!!!! West Virginia leads UNC 21-16 in the 2nd qtr! More Bowl updates to come! :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83

Yesterday....All three winning teams finish the season with a 9-4 record.

MEINEKE BOWL.....West Virginia 31 North Carolina 30 - probably Best Bowl Game played so far!!!

CHAMPS SPORTS BOWL....Florida State 42 Wisconsin 13 - Seminoles dominate the Badgers!

EMERALD BOWL.... California 24 Miami 17 - Canes can't get it done vs. the Bears

And Tonight...

INDEPENDENCE BOWL.... Louisiana Tech 17 Northern Illinios 10 - 1st Ever Bowl Victory for La. Tech!

* 12 Bowls played; 22 more to go!!!

Edited by richyb83

Monday Dec. 29th

PapaJohns.com BOWL.... Rutgers 29 NC State 23... Scarlet Knights comeback from a 17-6 halftime deficit

ALAMO BOWL.... Missouri 30 Northwestern 23 OT... Mizzou too much in the end

Tuesday Dec 30th

HUMANITARIAN BOWL....Maryland 42 Nevada 35... Sorry I missed this game.

HOLIDAY BOWL.... Oregon 42 Oklahoma State 31... Probably Best "non" BCS Match-up

TEXAS BOWL.... Rice 38 Western Michigan 14... Rice ends loong bowl drought

Wednesday Dec 31st

ARMED FORCES BOWL....Houston 34 Air Force 28 ... Nice match-up between contrasting styles

SUN BOWL..... Oregon State 3 Pitt 0... Talk about "low" scoring

MUSIC CITY BOWL.....Vanderbilt 16 Boston College 14... Vandy's 1st Bowl in 25 years; upset??

INSIGHT BOWL.... Kansas 42 Minnesota 21 ... Jayhawks top Gophers

PEACH BOWL.....L.S.U. 38 Georgia Tech 3... Tigers "ROUT" Yellow Jackets in their own backyard

*sorry Chick-fil-A Bowl just sounds silly!

22 Bowl Games played; 12 MORE to GO!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

ONLY 3 Bowl Games remaining! Tonight's Fiesta Bowl- Texas vs. Ohio State; tommorrow GMAC Bowl- Tulsa vs. Ball State; and THURSDAY BCS National Championship- FLORIDA vs. OKLAHOMA!!!

Jan. 1st

OUTBACK BOWL....Iowa 31 South Carolina 10.... Hawkeyes no problem beating Gamecocks

CAPITAL ONE BOWL....Georgia 24 Michigan State 12... Strong 2nd half for the Dawgs

GATOR BOWL....Nebraska 26 Clemson 21....Cornhuskers improve to 9-4

ROSE BOWL....USC 38 Penn State 24.... Trojans too much firepower for Nittany Lions

ORANGE BOWL... Virginia Tech 20 Cincinnati 7... too many missed opportunities for Bearcats

Jan. 2nd

COTTON BOWL...Ole Miss 47 Texas Tech 34...#25 ranked Rebels BLAST #7 Red Raiders

LIBERTY BOWL...Kentucky 25 East Carolina 19...Wildcats comeback from 16-0 to beat upstart Pirates

SUGAR BOWL...Utah 31 Alabama 17....Suprise of Bowl Season??? Utes looked STRONG!! Only undefeated team remaining at 13-0!!

Jan. 3rd

INTERNATIONAL BOWL... U. Conn 38 Buffalo 20...1st Annual Int' Bowl from Canada; Huskies strong 2nd half!

Another BCS showing, another loss for Ohio State. At least they were competitive in this one, coming back to take the lead in the 4th quarter before Texas marched down the field and scored with less than :30 left. It was a pretty entertaining game if you ask me.

Who's gonna win the BCS title game on Thursday? I'm going with the Gators by about 10 in a relatively high-scoring game. Oklahoma's defense isn't going to be good enough to pull through.

If the Gators come out properly prepared and fired up from the beginning, the route will be on. The Gators defense is better than the press are relaying. Everyone is looking to the offensive match up. Oklahoma's defense is questionable, Florida's isn't. The offenses are about even with Florida having the edge in speed. If Florida gets ahead by a couple touchdowns, it's over early.

From what I've read, Oklahoma's whole strategy is to shut down Florida's run game and force them to pass. OK......, and what happens when they can't shut it down??? Florida has two of the fastest runners in the country and a running threat at quarterback. Tebow is not one demensional either, he can throw, so forcing him to throw is not a major set back.

Another thing not getting press is the fact that Florida won all those blow out games the end of the season with their first string on the sidelines every fourth quarter and sometimes the third quarter. There were games where they had third string players in.

JMO...

Should be a good game tonight with Florida vs. Oklahoma...I agree with torgo with the 10 points; but agree facilities man that it could get ugly if the Sooners don't bring their "A" game?? They need to rid their label of "Choke-lahoma" with a strong showing; after some bad bowl preformances. They will miss RB-Demarco Murray. Florida is probably the fastest team in the country! Tebow has improved as a passer; Harvin will be 90%; the defense has been solid!

Texas beat Oklahoma; the Sooners are lucky to be there.

When mentioning the fastest players in the country with the two Florida players(Demps, Rainey); LSU's Trindon Holliday( in US Olympic Trials) must get a mention.

Utah is a STRONG team; probably a Top 5 team; but do not believe they belong in the "Title" game tonight.

Mon. Jan 5th

FIESTA BOWL .... Texas 24 Ohio State 21... (like torgo said)After a slow start; the game ended with an exciting finish! At least the Buckeyes did not get whipped this year. Where was Wells in 2nd half??

Tues. Jan 7th

GMAC BOWL .... Tulsa 45 Ball State 13... Tulsa way too much for Ball State! MAC 0-5 in bowl games!

Edited by richyb83

Remember when Ball State was undefeated and ranked like 13th? What a wonderful choke job at the end there.

I see Utah being ranked 3rd, give or take a spot, when the final rankings come out. It would be interesting to see what they could have done in the national title game against Oklahoma, Florida, or even Texas. But hey, this is why we need the playoff. 16 team system, just like the one they had on Yahoo.

National Title Game...

It was all about the defense. Florida mostly shut down OU with a great defensive performance. OU had a great defensive game as well but could only hold the Gators to 24 points and that was with two momentum turning interceptions.

Florida / Tebow, threw their interceptions away. As for OU's interceptions..., they were take aways by Florida's defense, if you know what I'm trying to say.

Tebow had a bad first half, seemed rusty and out of sync from the long lay off. Even with that, Florida seemed to control the game even though it was close in score.

Great year for both teams and they could be in it again next year depending on how many players stay or jump to the NFL.

Good game, kind of sloppy and surprisingly low-scoring. Oklahoma kind of blew this one if you ask me. They had two first half possessions inside the Gators' 10 yard line and got no points out of it. One they turned it over on downs, the other Bradford threw a interception at the goal line. Add in the blocked FG and the interception in Florida territory in the 4th quarter, they never really gave themselves a chance.

Florida will be just awesome next year, they should return 9 or 10 starters on defense and most of the offense too... not to mention that Tim Tebow might come back as well.

Edited by torgo

BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.... Florida 24 Oklahoma 14

No doubt the Gators Defense made a statement. The Sooners had them on the ropes in the 1st half! But those failed opportunities spelled disaster in the end. Tebow was Super Man; Harvin was a game-breaker! The INT was incredible! Bradford is extremely accurate! Alot of NFL Talent with BOTH teams!!!

It has been an accomplishment for Oklahoma to get this far so many times; is it fair to label them "Chokelahoma"?? They have lost 5 consecutive BCS Bowl games. They BOTH look like powerhouse teams for years to come!

It was a hard hitting game; and even dirty at times!

CONGRATS to the Florida Gators for winning their 2nd National Championship in 3 years! And the SEC now has 3 consecutive National Championships!!!

Oh yeah...does torgo and I win a prize for predicting the "10" point win?? :w00t: Just kiddin'

Edited by richyb83

I still can't believe that the BCS Championship Game was so low-scoring. I was expecting both teams to score in the 40's and 50's. Nice work by the defenses on both sides keeping it so (relatively) low.

And congratulations to Florida for the win! Tebow is an awsome player.

Should be a good game tonight with Florida vs. Oklahoma...I agree with torgo with the 10 points; but agree facilities man that it could get ugly if the Sooners don't bring their "A" game?? They need to rid their label of "Choke-lahoma" with a strong showing; after some bad bowl preformances. They will miss RB-Demarco Murray. Florida is probably the fastest team in the country! Tebow has improved as a passer; Harvin will be 90%; the defense has been solid!

Texas beat Oklahoma; the Sooners are lucky to be there.

When mentioning the fastest players in the country with the two Florida players(Demps, Rainey); LSU's Trindon Holliday( in US Olympic Trials) must get a mention.

Utah is a STRONG team; probably a Top 5 team; but do not believe they belong in the "Title" game tonight.

Mon. Jan 5th

FIESTA BOWL .... Texas 24 Ohio State 21... (like torgo said)After a slow start; the game ended with an exciting finish! At least the Buckeyes did not get whipped this year. Where was Wells in 2nd half??

Tues. Jan 7th

GMAC BOWL .... Tulsa 45 Ball State 13... Tulsa way too much for Ball State! MAC 0-5 in bowl games!

As a Buckeye fan and alumni w/ a lot of contacts in the program, Beanie in a 3rd qtr hit, suffered a minor concussion, and team doctors didn't let him back out...I feel that our program will only get elite again when Jim Tressel gives up playcalling and hires an Offensive Coordinator and allows him to develop the offense and call plays...Tressel is entirely too conservative for them on offense, most every elite team they have played the last few years have said the samething, "That they did exactly what we thought they would". If he makes some of these changes in the offseason, with the current #1 recruiting class coming and and if Pryor works his butt off to improve his passing skills, they could be a very dangerous team in 2009 and even more so in 2010. Changes should occurr though as Tressel is now sort of on the hot seat, too many big donors are starting voice some major concerns, and that football program props up more sports teams than any other school in the country.