NCAA Football

TennBear

A Division I-AA team has never beaten a I-A opponent ranked in the top 25 until today.

Personally, I think Michigan should fall completely out of the top 25, but I would think they would fall to around #20.

I've heard some people saying they should drop all the way out. But I'm like you, I imagine they'll manage to stick around the 20-25 area.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas had it's problems as well. I've seen Texas tanked 4th but they only managed to beat Arkansas State 21-13. It wasn't that many years ago that Arkansas State moved up to Div I. Apparently Arkansas State even managed to recover an onside kick near the end of the game. But had to end up kicking it over again because of a penalty. But after seeing what had happened to Michigan, I can imagine Texas fans weren't feeling too comfortable. Arkansas State even managed to beat Texas in just about every stat like 1st down, yards gained. Everything but the score.

Well, Michigan has fallen out of the AP and coaches top 25, which is not surprising. I agree jungletobacco, Georgia looked pretty darn good. They will cause some problems in the SEC this season. They are at #11 this week.

Did anyone see Cal's DeSean Jackson run that punt back against Tennessee? Incredible! That guy has got to be one of the most dangerous big-play guys in the country!

AP

1. Southern Cal (59)

2. LSU (5)

3. West Virginia (1)

4. Florida

5. Oklahoma

5. Wisconsin

7. Texas

8. Louisville

9. Virginia Tech

10. California

Coaches

1 USC (49)

2 LSU (4)

3 Florida (7)

4 West Virginia

5 Wisconsin

6 Oklahoma

7 Texas

8 Louisville

9 Virginia Tech

10 California

If you ask me, Cal was the most impressive team on Sat. I'm surprised they didn't jump higher than that at all. I would have ranked them about 7th/8th.

Michigan deserved to fall out of the rankings. How does anyone expect them to win a game against a good Div 1 team, if they can't even beat a Div 1AA team at home. They looked completely out classed on the field. Heck, w/out Mike Hart, they get blown out in that game. They have absolutely no defense.

Georgia looked good, but I never could understand all the love Okie State had been given. They weren't very good last year, and certainly won't be this year.

Ohio State deserved it's 1 spot drop in both polls, as they played very uninspired football against YSU. Unfortunately, Tressel doesn't run the score up on inferior teams like Louisville, Florida, Penn State, Oklahoma, and West Virginia did. That tends to hurt them in the polls and the view of most college football fans. As long as the starters aren't in, I'd still run the full offense until the end of the game. If the other team can't stop you, well tough. 79-10 like what Oklahoma put up, looks much better than 38-6, especially when that 38-6 was really ugly b/c of a vanilla gameplan.

I was also overjoyed at GT's blowout at ND. Will ND even win 4 games this year? They'll lose at PSU, at UM, at Pur, and at home to USC and MSU. They'll also lose at UCLA and possibly to Navy. That team is very bad and I bet their fans will call for that tub of lard Weiss' head after this season. What happened to their supposedly back to back top 10 recruiting classes? I guess that tells you how much bologne the recruiting rankings are.

Overall not a bad start to the season, and you have to love that greatest upset in College Football History. The crowd in Ohio Stadium cheered louder when those scores were announced than during the Buckeyes game. The samething happened when we all gathered around the TVs in the concourse after our game was done to watch the end of the Michigan game.

Looks like Texas was even luckier than I thought. Arkansas State had kicked an onside kick and recovered it. But officials said they were offside and made them kick the ball over again, in which Texas recovered the ball. Well the Big 12 is now admitting the officials missed that call and that Arkansas State was onside and not in any illegal formation. I'm not saying Arkansas State would have won it because of that, but guess we'll never know now.

I would think that MTSU showed that UL is overrated last night. They lost to Florida Atlantic and couldn't even move the ball. Against UL, they looked like a scoring machine. Louisville had better work on DEFENSE big time.

Cincy showed that their new coach is going to have them moving up in the conference. OSU did not show well for the lower end teams in the PAC-10. Again it's early and they could improve, but they did not look like a team that had anything.

UGA vs USC should be a good game. South Carolina always plays Georgia tough and I think that Spurrier has them thinnking that they can win the SEC. It should be close.

Funny thing is I did not consider Oregon State low end in PAC 10; maybe middle of pack 5th or 6th?? Guess not now; Cincinnati looks strong! The 59-3 tune up last week then this 34-3 beat down.

It's said Louisville is more like a 17th ranked team, a little too highly rated! Not expecting 58-42(100 pts.) vs. MTSU. Like you said the Blue Raiders did nothing vs. FAU.

I have been waiting for LSU vs. Va.Tech for a long time!!!!!!! The best non-conference match-up this season IMO. Both defenses are scary good! :tough: ESPN Gameday is here in BR now! This place is electric!!!! Game does not start til 8:22 pm CST!

Oklahoma vs. Miami should be interesting too!

Georgia looked good last week! So.Carolina QB was suspended last week; making his 1st start this year. Georgia 21-12.

Edited by richyb83

Well Michigan certainly didn't 'rise to the occasion' after their embarrassing loss last week. They looked just as bad to Oregon as well. A number of ranked teams didn't look too good so far. West Virginia had problems with Marshall but finally pulled away in the second half. Boise State lost to Washington. That loss will probably keep them from being ranked for the rest of the season. Nebraska got lucky with Wake Forest. Ohio State wasn't too impressive with Akron. Even Cal only beat Colorado State by a touchdown. Oklahoma and Georgia Tech won big though. Curious to see what will happen in the evening games.

Yeah this has been a rather 'interesting' season so far. While some ranked teams have lost it just seems like many others have struggled with 'lesser' opponents. LSU was very impressive last night. I doubt they be able to change enough minds to overtake USC in the polls, but I think they should at least really narrow the gap.

#2 LSU beatdown #9 Va. Tech 48-7; outgaining them in total yardage 598-147!

Texas pulled away from TCU in the 4th qtr.

So. Carolina suprised me beating Georgia.

Hawaii outscored La.Tech in OT 45-44!

Who wins next week?? 0-2 Notre Dame vs. 0-2 Michigan??

I wonder how far Virginia Tech will fall. Even after the beatdown that would have been even worse if VT hadn't put the Frosh quarterback in, I think that VT is the team to beat in the ACC. It should be between them and BC.

I was impressed with WF. That makes the USC game going into Nebraska at little less impressive. Nebraska was very lucky to have got out of North Carolina with a win.

TCU has no offense for the entire game. Zilch! After 31/2 quarters of having their defense on the field, there was nothing left.

I'll give it to La. Tech, they were ahead most of the game and went for the kill in the first overtime going for the two point conversion.

As far as the ND-UM game, someone has to win. They have both looked terrible. ND only anything was some of their defense in the first half at PSU. I think that UM will win since they at least have shown some offense. Hey, this may be the only win for either team.

The Auburn-USF was painful. The only person on either team that looked like they wanted to win was Grothe. Cox had 2 interceptions and the AU runners had 3 turnovers and the USF kicker couldn't hit the side of a barn. Both teams need to put this in their thoughts as a wake-up call that you can't sleepwalk through a game.

WVU did the same thing to Marshall that Texas did to TCu and that is pull away big in the end after the players on the other team that doesn't have as much depth run completely out of steam.

All of this shows that there is more parity than ever in college football. The limits on the number of signees has brought a number of teams up to the same level as some of the elites and some of those elites down to avarage teams. Two maybe three teams have more talent than anyone else and have been able to stockpile. I think that we know who they are. It may not be long before other coaches are able to pull away amny of their recruits and then everything will be wide open every year without anyone having a clue as to who will win it all. That should be fun to watch.

The Auburn-USF was painful. The only person on either team that looked like they wanted to win was Grothe. Cox had 2 interceptions and the AU runners had 3 turnovers and the USF kicker couldn't hit the side of a barn. Both teams need to put this in their thoughts as a wake-up call that you can't sleepwalk through a game.

All of this shows that there is more parity than ever in college football. The limits on the number of signees has brought a number of teams up to the same level as some of the elites and some of those elites down to avarage teams. Two maybe three teams have more talent than anyone else and have been able to stockpile. I think that we know who they are. It may not be long before other coaches are able to pull away amny of their recruits and then everything will be wide open every year without anyone having a clue as to who will win it all. That should be fun to watch.

To me at least, Auburn and Georgia seem to be Jekyll and Hyde. Often times seeming to have a lot of potential and perhaps even having a good year. Then suddenly they'll look rather badly in a game. I think it happened to both of them early this season. But who knows, maybe they just aren't that good this year.

I guess that's happened before, having a few teams head and shoulders above everyone else. But I can't really recall seeing everyone else on another level like this year seems to be. Of course the elite teams tend to eventually move around a bit. For a long time it was the Florida teams. But that seems to have shifted more recently.

A look at how the different leagues have done so far this season out of conference:

Big East----------14-2 .875

SEC--------------14-3 .824

Big Ten----------18-4 .818

Pac-10-----------13-3 .813

Big 12------------18-6 .750

ACC--------------9-7 .563

Mountain West---7-8 .467

Western Athletic-6-10 .375

Conference USA-6-13 .316

MAC---------------5-13 .278

Sun Belt-----------0-13 .000

LSU siphoned a bunch of #1 votes off of USC this week with their beatdown of Va Tech. Hopefully USC will get those back with a beating of Nebraska this weekend!

So who does everyone think is going to win the Disappointment Bowl when Michigan takes on ND this weekend? I predict Michigan.

AP Top 25:

1. USC (40)

2. LSU (25)

3. Oklahoma

4. West Virginia

5. Florida

6. Texas

7. Wisconsin

8. California

9. Louisville

10. Ohio State

11. UCLA

12. Penn State

13. Rutgers

14. Nebraska

15. Georgia Tech

16. Arkansas

17. South Carolina

18. Virginia Tech

19. Oregon

20. Clemson

21. Boston College

22. Tennessee

23. Georgia

24. Hawaii

25. Texas A&M

Edited by torgo

There is no way that after the first 2 games, I could have anyone above LSU. They have looked extremely impressive so far. 48-7 over a pretty good team returnin almost everyone off the #1/2 defense in the country last year, is extremely impressive. LSU is better this year w/ Flynn than they were w/ Russell it seems. I'm sure w/ Les Miles as there coach, they will stumble somewhere, but presently, they are heads and shoulders above every other team, including USC.

The second most impressive team imo, has been Oklahoma. That RS Frosh QB Bradford is on fire it seems. I think he has 8 TD passes. I know Miami is down still, but their defense is still stout, and for OU to roll 50+ pts on them, that is extremely impressive.

Unfortunately, my Buckeyes, looked downright bad against a mediocre MAC team. I'm extremely worried about them this Sat going out to Seattle. Washington, while I don't think they are fully back, is looking pretty good so far, and Husky Stadium (one of the most beautiful settings in College Football right on Lake Washington) is going to be rocking. Both teams have good defense, and Ohio State's is good enough to keep them in every game, but their offense is so bad it isn't funny. I could see this game ending up in a 13-10 type score.

In other games, I think Nebraska was caught looking ahead, and therefore didn't perform all that well at Wake Forest. They still got the win, and Lincoln is going to be rocking. USC is going to have to bring their A game, b/c I think Nebraska will. I still think USC wins that game, but it will be by less than 10 pts imo.

In the battle of 0-2 ND and 0-2 Michigan, w/ both teams starting freshman QBs, but w/ UM having Mike Hart, I think they will be the first team to get a W.

My current rankings would look like this.

1. LSU

2. Oklahoma

3. USC

4. WVU

5. Florida

6. Wisconsin

7. Texas

8. Louisville

9. California

10. Ohio State

This has been an intrigueing season thus far. I hope it continues to stay interesting.

^True! I was at the game, LSU sure looks mighty impressive! Flynn is perfect for new O-Coordinator Gary Crowton's system. The Defense is scary good!!! Keiland Williams SuperMan impression on a 67 yard TD run was sick! Here it is:

lsufootwilliams90907qf6.jpg

I would expect USC to handle Nebraska.

You are right about the great setting at Washington U. It's as good as it gets! And their redshirt freshman QB Jake Locker is a stud. That should be one of the best games of the day with Ohio State.

(1a) USC

(1b) LSU

(3) Oklahoma

(4) Florida

(5) West Virginia

Then there's a bit of a drop-off at 6.

Predicitons on Games coming up this week:

Southern California over Nebraska big. Nebraska did not look good at Wake. NU may be looking for a coach that plays NU type football.

Florida vs Tennessee: The team that has the most yardage on the ground wins.

Kentucky over Louisville: UL and UK both have no defense. It could go either way, but UK is due.

Michigan over Notre Dame: Maybe ND should bring back their former high school coach. They are that bad.

Ohio State vs Washington: Both these teams have been surprising. OSU has the defense to stay in the game, but do they have any offense? UW wins in a shocker.

Boston College vs Georgia Tech: BC proves that GT was not that good ND was that bad.

Boise State vs Wyoming: BSU wins the border war again.

Alabama vs Arkansas: Team that has the most yarage on the ground wins. I think that I said that before. Alabama wins and Nutt's job gets hotter.

West Virginia vs Maryland: Maryland scores, but only because the WVU defense is that bad. The only problem is that UM can't score enough. WVU Big.

Michigan State vs Pittsburgh: MSU wins a game of the also rans of the big 10/11 and big east.

UCLA vs Utah: UCLA again shows that they are a little overrated, but Utah still can't quite get enough points to win.

Florida State vs Colorado: Bowden seems to have lost his form and soon will be losing more recruits as CU wins going away.

Oregon vs Fresno State: The hard luck guys from FSU turn around their fortunes and win vs the ducks.

Southern Miss vs East Carolina: USM makes ECU take one on the chin. ECU is the best state university team in NC, but Wake is the best team in the state. USM is looking for another C-USA East Title.

Virginia vs North Carolina: Can we call this the sad bowl. These teams are sad. UVA only because someone has to win.

Predicitons on Games coming up this week:

Southern California over Nebraska big. Nebraska did not look good at Wake. NU may be looking for a coach that plays NU type football.

Alabama vs Arkansas: Team that has the most yarage on the ground wins. I think that I said that before. Alabama wins and Nutt's job gets hotter.

Yeah Nebraska went after Nutt a while back. To be honest he might be a good fit there. Nutt seems to like the grind it our running style of offense. I just think the defenses in the SEC are too good to just be so one dimensional. People are expecting a lot this year after last year's results and having Heisman candidate McFadden on the team. That and the old Athletic Director that likes Nutt so much is leaving at the end of the year.

Speaking of coaches leaving, I've been hearing people wondering if Les Miles would consider leaving LSU to go back to his alma mater, Michigan. I'm getting the feeling that job is going to be open sometime this year.

My picks for this week (with commentary! Good idea tennbear :thumbsup:)

USC over Nebraska. USC needs a better day from its offense than we saw 2 weeks ago to keep their #1 ranking. As much as I hate to say it, this one has upset written all over it. Nebraska is taking on the #1 team, in Nebraska, they lost to USC last year, national TV audience, and want to show everyone that they are a national power again. I expect the Huskers to bring their A game. USC better do the same. USC by 10.

Florida over Tennessee. For some reason, I don't think this one will be that close. I see Florida winning this one by at least 20.

Louisville over Kentucky. Louisville QB Brian Brohm will out-pass pretty much anyone (except maybe Colt Brennan). But they better shore up their defense if they want to stay in the picture after they gave up all those points to Mid Tenn St.

Michigan over ND. The biggest variable is Michigan playing without QB Chad Henne. Homefield advantage doesn't apparently do much to motivate Michigan, but the ND rivalry will. Of course, ND got clobbered by UM last year, so they ND will have a chip on their shoulder. However, ND is really lousy this year. Michigan is only moderately lousy. I expect 200+ yards from Michigan RB Mike Hart.

Washington over Ohio State. It seems that OSU has been disappointing this year so far, and I see the Pac-10 stepping up and knocking off another Big Ten team (although probably not as convincingly as Oregon beat Michigan last week). This one will be close, margin of victory will be less than 5 points.