NCAA Football

TennBear

Virginia shouldn't be that high. UConn handed that game to them yesterday. Two bad snaps in the shotgun for UConn on the last drive, otherwise a decent/mediocre Big East team goes into their home and beats them. Virginia should be number 25, tops.

Why shouldn't they be ranked that high? A loss is a loss. At the end of the year, if they run the table (which wont happen) then they should be ranked up there. If UCON gave them the game, then they should have loss. Because of UCON play (the loss) they are not ranked in the BCS. So it's no need for should of could of would of.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why shouldn't they be ranked that high? A loss is a loss. At the end of the year, if they run the table (which wont happen) then they should be ranked up there. If UCON gave them the game, then they should have loss. Because of UCON play (the loss) they are not ranked in the BCS. So it's no need for should of could of would of.

Winning by one point, at home, to a mediocre team, does not make a team a better team in the standings. That's why South Florida got leapfrogged by BC last week, and leap frogged them this week.

I agree there is an issue with quality wins. A win is a win, this is true- but does a blowout over a crappy team make you better than a 1 point victory over a team that plays at your level on gameday?

This is one of my major issues with Ohio State being where they are. They have a perfect record, but they have only played 1 ranked team (#23 Purdue) so far- but because they are Ohio State, they are ranked #1.

I agree there is an issue with quality wins. A win is a win, this is true- but does a blowout over a crappy team make you better than a 1 point victory over a team that plays at your level on gameday?

This is one of my major issues with Ohio State being where they are. They have a perfect record, but they have only played 1 ranked team (#23 Purdue) so far- but because they are Ohio State, they are ranked #1.

In my opinion, any blowout advances you.

The Buckeyes are #1 b/c they haven't lost to any team they shouldn't lose too. Stanford wouldn't beat them, Colorado wouldn't, nor would Kentucky. They are handling their business. I do agree S. Florida has a better resume, but I don't think they are as good of a team, and honestly, they could easily lose their next game at Rutgers. Ohio State's schedule does get harder from here on out. While the Big 10 is down this year, every team left on their schedule is currently 5-2, and Michigan is looking like they were supposed to look at the start of the season.

This has been my favorite season so far, and is definitely one that is screaming for a true playoff system.

The Buckeyes are #1 b/c they haven't lost to any team they shouldn't lose too. Stanford wouldn't beat them, Colorado wouldn't, nor would Kentucky. They are handling their business. I do agree S. Florida has a better resume, but I don't think they are as good of a team, and honestly, they could easily lose their next game at Rutgers. Ohio State's schedule does get harder from here on out. While the Big 10 is down this year, every team left on their schedule is currently 5-2, and Michigan is looking like they were supposed to look at the start of the season.

But what about a win over a team you ARE supposed to lose to? The only team Kentucky (6-1) has lost to is USC, which was 11th at the time, and they beat the #1 team in the nation last week? How is that not at the same level as beating 6 crappy teams and 1 moderate team?

This has been my favorite season so far, and is definitely one that is screaming for a true playoff system.

I agree 100%.

But what about a win over a team you ARE supposed to lose to? The only team Kentucky (6-1) has lost to is USC, which was 11th at the time, and they beat the #1 team in the nation last week? How is that not at the same level as beating 6 crappy teams and 1 moderate team?

In the case of Kentucky, yes they only lost once to S Carolina, but they aren't a traditional college football power, so they dont get the benefit of the doubt that Ohio St or LSU gets. Is it fair? No, probably not. I think Kentucky is going to lose once or twice more this year anyways. Heck, Arizona State hasn't lost to anybody and they can't even crack the top ten (yet).

Edited by torgo

In the case of Kentucky, yes they only lost once to S Carolina, but they aren't a traditional college football power, so they dont get the benefit of the doubt that Ohio St or LSU gets. Is it fair? No, probably not. I think Kentucky is going to lose once or twice more this year anyways. Heck, Arizona State hasn't lost to anybody and they can't even crack the top ten (yet).

Bolls will be subjective by nature, even though everyone hates the BCS with the idea of W/L SOS and opponents W/L it may be the best gauge of top teams.

Edited by dgreco

I really like the Ohio State Defense; but it would be interesting to see what the Buckeye's record would be if it had LSU's schedule. While I don't doubt they would beat Kentucky;could they defeat #11 Va.Tech? # 6 So.Carolina, #14(Defending Champ)Florida??? How wore-down might Ohio State be after beating all those teams, then play Kentucky. "Accumulative" effect...straight-up LSU's Defense looked wore down.

Playing on a Thursday gave Kentucky two extra days to prepare; still No excuses for LSU; plenty of blame to go around starting with the coaches!

7 SEC Teams in the Top 21! Every game is a WAR!

Rutgers is up on #2 USF 27-20 late in 3rd Qtr!

Edited by richyb83

and another one bites the dust.

#2 USF goes down to Rutgers tonight.

Unbelievable the number of highly-ranked opponents falling this season! Its gotten to the point where its not even that surprising any more. Its becoming increasingly clear that at least one, if not both, of the teams who play for the title this year will have one loss. The field is about as wide-open as it could possibly get!

Richyb83, I don't think Ohio State would have survived to this point against an SEC schedule. I don't think they would survive this year against a Pac-10 schedule, either. The Big 10 is definitely having a down year, and Ohio State has played almost no one up until now. The second half of their schedule should get a little tougher, with games against Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan. However, only one of those teams (Michigan) is ranked, and they are only #24. I actually think that this weekend's game with Michigan State has "upset" written all over it.. (and I use the term "upset" loosely)

Predictions for this week (if its even worth trying any more...):

Florida over Kentucky

Texas Tech over Mizzou

LSU over Auburn

Michigan over Illinois

USC over Notre Dame

And..another big upset: Michigan State over Ohio State

I think Ohio State Wins their remaining games, but loses to Michigan at the end. This would cap-off the "craziest" football season ever!!! What better way to begin the season with Michigan losing to tiny Appalachain State; but beat the #1 at the end..."Full-Circle" :wacko:

So.Carolina lost to Vandy 17-6! Oklahoma was outplayed in the 1st half only down 7-0; but still beat Iowa State 17-7.

I think Ohio State Wins their remaining games, but loses to Michigan at the end. This would cap-off the "craziest" football season ever!!! What better way to begin the season with Michigan losing to tiny Appalachain State; but beat the #1 at the end..."Full-Circle" :wacko:

So.Carolina lost to Vandy 17-6! Oklahoma was outplayed in the 1st half only down 7-0; but still beat Iowa State 17-7.

I think OSU runs the table but loses if its plays a 1-loss Oklahoma, LSU or Oregon team. (Granted those three don't lose another game) but the way this year has worked out, who knows.

^agreed.

I'll add that while I think Ohio State is overrated, I'm not saying the have a bad team, but its true that when comparing all the various teams there isn't any easy way to go about it. If they had to play an SEC schedule, they could probably do well for themselves.

I was quite sad to see that my Gamecocks lost to Vanderbilt, but given how this season has been going it really isn't a surprise. Plus they played like crap, so it was a well earned loss.

^agreed.

I'll add that while I think Ohio State is overrated, I'm not saying the have a bad team, but its true that when comparing all the various teams there isn't any easy way to go about it. If they had to play an SEC schedule, they could probably do well for themselves.

I was quite sad to see that my Gamecocks lost to Vanderbilt, but given how this season has been going it really isn't a surprise. Plus they played like crap, so it was a well earned loss.

just to understand the michigan lose. Appy state a GREAT team in DI-FCS, well guess what they are 1-2 in cnference play and second from last in the conference. Speed is key and the Big Ten doesnt have speed and it hurts them. the south has speed and can recruit speed. The big ten will continue to get blown out at big games.

just to understand the michigan lose. Appy state a GREAT team in DI-FCS, well guess what they are 1-2 in cnference play and second from last in the conference. Speed is key and the Big Ten doesnt have speed and it hurts them. the south has speed and can recruit speed. The big ten will continue to get blown out at big games.

Yeah, that makes it even worse for Michigan. But I'm also excited to see the Wofford Terriers at the top of the Southern Conference.

This is a myth (somewhat). The difference in speed in the skill positions between the top schools in the SEC and Big Ten is minimal. If this wasn't the case, the NFL wouldn't touch players from the Big Ten. The biggest difference is the speed of the front seven on defense compared to the OLine. Also, the bad SEC schools are most likely quicker than the bad Big Ten schools. This means that good teams in the SEC play against speed every week, and good teams in the Big Ten may get a week or two off. With that said, Ohio State has as fast of a defense as any team in the country, and most of their players come from the midwest.

WOW! Boston College was held scoreless the entire game; but scored 2 TD's in the final minutes to beat Va.Tech 14-10 in the rain.

Should be a great weekend of football!!!

Tonight: Boise State at Fresno State

Florida vs. Georgia in Jacksonville

USC at Oregon

Ohio State at Penn State

USF at UConn

Kansas at Texas A&M

So.Carolina at Tennessee

Cal at Arizona State