NCAA Football

TennBear

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more top-10 teams lose today, with #9 USC losing to #5 Oregon and #9 FLorida losing to #20 Georgia. USF dropped its second in a row, to a (apparently) very good UConn team.

Other surprises are #14 Kentucky getting beaten soundly by Mississippi State, #6 West Virginia took #25 Rutgers to the cleaners. I figured West Virginia would win, but not by that much.

My feet are still soaked from that UConn/USF game, had a great time though. The defense held like an oak when it needed to, and the 3rd and goal(@ the 2) sack we had with under a minute left was huge. Biggest win in UConn history. next up, Rutgers at home....

The Buckeyes once again looked good Sat night. Everyone in the news media was saying it would be a close game, and how tough that atmosphere was going to be and how it would be the first real test we've faced, then OSU goes in pounds them at their house. But I'm sure, now the media will say that PSU sucks, and they won't be tested until the Michigan game.

Will anyone give them any respect if they win out and win the national title. Somehow, I think not.

Those that think the Buckeyes are overrated, they are the only team that is actually taking care of their business and they haven't lost to inferior teams like LSU did to Kentucky, who proved this week they really arent' that good by losing big time to Mississippi St, or Oklahoma did to Colorado, after blowing a 17 pt lead, or Oregon to Cal, whose now lost 3 in a row, and has no defense.

The Buckeyes once again looked good Sat night. Everyone in the news media was saying it would be a close game, and how tough that atmosphere was going to be and how it would be the first real test we've faced, then OSU goes in pounds them at their house. But I'm sure, now the media will say that PSU sucks, and they won't be tested until the Michigan game.

Will anyone give them any respect if they win out and win the national title. Somehow, I think not.

Those that think the Buckeyes are overrated, they are the only team that is actually taking care of their business and they haven't lost to inferior teams like LSU did to Kentucky, who proved this week they really arent' that good by losing big time to Mississippi St, or Oklahoma did to Colorado, after blowing a 17 pt lead, or Oregon to Cal, whose now lost 3 in a row, and has no defense.

I think Ohio State impressed a lot of people on Saturday. I was expecting them to win because Penn State just isn't that good, but I was thinking it would be a little closer than that. But to be honest, until last weekend, the only semi-decent teams they had faced were (now 7-2) Purdue, and (now 5-4) Michigan State. I don't know if they are the best team in the nation, but they should be the #1 team if they keep winning. I think a lot of people still remember OSU storming through last season only to get trounced by Florida in the title game. They can't let that happen again. BTW, did anyone watch the game and see the "white-out" in the PSU student section? Awesome!

And talk about no respect, what about Arizona State? They're 8-0 and can't even crack the top 5 in the AP, USA Today OR Harris Polls. However, if they beat Oregon this weekend (which I don't see happening), then we'll see a lot of silenced critics.

I believe that Boston College, Arizona State, and Kansas are also taking care of their business...

I think Ohio State impressed a lot of people on Saturday. I was expecting them to win because Penn State just isn't that good, but I was thinking it would be a little closer than that. But to be honest, until last weekend, the only semi-decent teams they had faced were (now 7-2) Purdue, and (now 5-4) Michigan State. I don't know if they are the best team in the nation, but they should be the #1 team if they keep winning. I think a lot of people still remember OSU storming through last season only to get trounced by Florida in the title game. They can't let that happen again. BTW, did anyone watch the game and see the "white-out" in the PSU student section? Awesome!

And talk about no respect, what about Arizona State? They're 8-0 and can't even crack the top 5 in the AP, USA Today OR Harris Polls. However, if they beat Oregon this weekend (which I don't see happening), then we'll see a lot of silenced critics.

I definitely agree w/ you about ASU. I'd actually rank them #2 over BC who looks very pedestrian to me. Kansas also for some reason can't crack the top 5, even though they are undefeated as well. It's one thing to rank a 1 loss team above these teams if that 1 loss was against an undefeated or at worst a 1 loss team. LSU lost to a 3 loss UK team, and Oregon lost to a 3 loss Cal team. They may be better teams than ASU and Kansas, but since they lost to inferior teams, they shouldn't be ranked above teams that are taking care of their business. ASU will get to prove themselves more this week. If they win at Oregon, there's no question they should jump up to at least #3 if not #2. At least the BCS has ASU at #4.

I agree w/ you on the perception of Ohio State too, but 2 things to remember, last year has no bearing whatsoever on this year (otherwise how could Florida have 3 losses already), and b/c of last year, Ohio State is playing w/ a big chip on their shoulders. I hope the media keeps disrespecting them b/c that chip is going to get bigger and bigger. Tressel and company learned a lot from that game, and I guarentee it won't happen again. Heck, they used 41-14 as the password to get into the Woody Hayes Athletic Center (the football and training center) for the players this entire offseason.

The white out did look cool, but a couple years ago, they had the entire stadium doing it, and it looked better. Still, they do stuff like that better than any where else for football at least.

New BCS standings. I am pretty comfortable with the top 5 right now, except that LSU isn't really inspiring a lot of confidence, and I am not sure what to make of Kansas. But they are undefeated, so they should at least be #4, if not higher. I would really like to see a BCS title game with Oregon taking on Ohio State or LSU...I wonder if anyone can slow down Oregon's offense and QB Dennis Dixon. USC has probably fared the best so far, but the Ducks still ran up over 300 years of offense and beat them.

1. Ohio State

2. LSU

3. Oregon

4. Kansas

5. Oklahoma

6. Missouri

7. West Virginia

8. Boston College

9. Arizona State

10. Georgia

What a night for Darren McFadden. He had 35 carries for 323 yards but only had 1 touchdown. Have to also give credit to Felix Jones for those 3 touchdowns. Good game overall.

Probably College Football's Best 1-2 RB's on one team!

If Heisman Trophy's actually went to "Best Individual" players; McFadden would win it easily; but since Arkansas is not in the Top 10 it's not going to happen. That's why it probably goes to QB-Dixon for #3 Oregon or QB- Ryan at #8 BC. McFadden is similar to the NFL rookie stud Adrian Peterson for the Vikings who broke the All-Time Rushing in a Single Game vs. Chargers with 296 yards! Watch out for McFadden in the NFL next season!

Ohio State has a scary good defense with probably three NFL 1st Rounders! Lauriniatis is my favorite linebacker in the country!And the offense is really clicking with the new QB! The strength of schedule along with last years NCG may be why the media is being disrespectful?? I say they handle their business and pencil them into the NCG again this year! With a much closer contest!

LSU must cut down on the mistakes/penalties that nearly cost them the game...14 of them for 130 yards vs. Bama w/ LSU ex-Coach "Tricky" Nick Saban on the road. Don't let the 41-34 score fool you; LSU outgained Alabama in Total Yards 475 to 254!

In total control 17-3 early, on 3rd and 12 incompletion and crowd out of the game; LSU gets a "late hit" personal foul penalty; 15 yards-1st down. The next play TD Bama; whole new ball game!

If LSU wins out (big IF! still must face Mr.McFadden/Jones) having the "extra" SEC Championship Game will be enough on their resume to keep them #2 ahead of the very impressive Oregon Ducks!

You are right Torgo! Oregon is the "X" factor! Thier remaining schedule looks very winnable.

Kansas hanging 76 on Nebraska(39) was an incredible video game-like score! Can they beat Mizzou and then Oklahoma in Big 12 CG??

How the once-Mighty have fallen Nebraska, Miami and Notre Dame losing to Navy 46-44 in OT!

USF fell off the face of the planet! Florida State beating BC on the road was impressive!

Edited by richyb83

Ohio State has a scary good defense with probably three NFL 1st Rounders! Lauriniatis is my favorite linebacker in the country!And the offense is really clicking with the new QB! The strength of schedule along with last years NCG may be why the media is being disrespectful?? I say they handle their business and pencil them into the NCG again this year! With a much closer contest!

I was at the Ohio State game this past Saturday and I completely agree. They are a very fast, quick (not the same as fast), and hard hitting. Lauriniatis should be invited to the Heisman, but probably won't because he's on defense, but he was in on just about every play, and tallied 19 tackles for the game. Two tough games coming up and Michigan will not want to lose another game to the Buckeyes.

I was at the Ohio State game this past Saturday and I completely agree. They are a very fast, quick (not the same as fast), and hard hitting. Lauriniatis should be invited to the Heisman, but probably won't because he's on defense, but he was in on just about every play, and tallied 19 tackles for the game. Two tough games coming up and Michigan will not want to lose another game to the Buckeyes.

I was at the game as well. Anyways, another great player is Vernon Gholston on that D-line of the Buckeyes. He was absolutely unblockable and had 4 sacks. I would have liked to have seen Wisconsin at full health though. PJ Hill was out due to an injury he suffered the week before.

Beanie Wells is definitely running hard for the Buckeyes, and his ankle is still bothering him some. I like how hungry he seems to be right now though.

I do give Wisconsin credit though, they came in and played a heck of a game. I was glad to see Ohio State fall behind somebody in the 2nd half. They answered one of my questions by coming back like that. Last year's team didn't ever fall behind in a game in the 2nd half until the BCS Title game and of course that game was over at halftime. :(

Surprise, surprise, another big upset this weekend. #1 Ohio State falls at home to unranked Illinois 28-21. Sorry ohioianinSC. That vaunted OSU could not stop Illinois QB Juice Williams as he ran for first down after first down in the 4th quarter.

Elsewhere, Michigan loses to Wisconsin, Nebraska suddenly wakes up and hangs 73 points on Kansas State behind 500+ yards and 7 TDs from their backup QB!

What a season it has been!!!!

I am happy Coach Zook has found success at Illinios after being abused/fired by the Florida Gators to get the "hook".

The "Spurrier Bowl" Florida's Tim Tebow accounted for all 7 TD's(5 rushing; 2 passing) in a 51-31 win over So.Carolina. Georgia smashed Auburn 45-20; Va.Tech throttled Florida State 40-21.

Texas beats Texas Tech 59-43 in a high scoring game. USC beat Cal 24-17.

In a video-game score Navy beats North Texas 74-62!!!!!!! :wacko:

How the once mighty have fallen...Miami gets embarrassed 48-0 to U Va. in the "final" game at the Orange Bowl; Notre Dame lost to Air Force is now 1-9.

Edited by richyb83

Now it's time to think Projections for Bowls:

If Michigan beats Ohio State, then the Big T1E1N will get 2 teams into BCS Bowls. If Ohio State wins, Michigan will fall to the Outback Bowl and Illinois will go to the Capital One Bowl.

Both the Big 12 and the Pac 10 have a good chance of getting 2 teams in the BCS Bowls. The thing about the Big 12 is that it only has 4 teams this year. Currently they have only have 6 teams that have qualified for bowls. Depending on how it falls out that may be it. The Pac 10 has 5 teams that have qualified and that may be it too.

The Big T1E1N has qualified 10 teams, the ACC 7, Big East 5, C-USA 4, MAC 2, MWC 4, SEC 10, Sun Belt 1, and WAC 3.

The SEC doesn't look like they can get two teams in the BCS and so it looks like:

LSU BCS Title or Sugar

Georgia Capital One

Florida Outback

Tennessee Cotton

Kentucky Chik fil a

Auburn Music City

Alabama Liberty

Mississippi State Independence

With Arkansas and South Carolina looking for bowls. Pac 10 or Big 12 tie-ins may take them. Vandy could still qualify, as well.

Big T1E1N

Ohio State Rose

Illinois Capital One

Penn State Outback

Alamo Michigan

Champs Wisconsin

Insight Purdue

Motor City Michigan State

With Northwestern, Iowa, and Indiana looking for bowls.

UGA will make it to a BCS bowl, for sure. They'll knock off Kentucky Saturday. Whoever wins the Iron Bowl will go to a better bowl than Liberty or Music City, I'm sure. At this point, I'm doubting Auburn will win, Bama still has two more games, so, that gives them enough time to win out an salvage the season.

ROLL TIDE

Wow, #2 Oregon lost and QB Dixon got hurt. If they drop one more and if USC beats ASU and UCLA, USC would get yet another Pac-10 title. Of course, Oregon still has the inside track to the Rose Bowl, but without the QB they appear to be a very beatable team.

UGA will make it to a BCS bowl, for sure. They'll knock off Kentucky Saturday. Whoever wins the Iron Bowl will go to a better bowl than Liberty or Music City, I'm sure. At this point, I'm doubting Auburn will win, Bama still has two more games, so, that gives them enough time to win out an salvage the season.

ROLL TIDE

I was going with Tennessee going to the SEC Championship and losing. That means falling to Cotton or Chick Flick Bowl. I was also going with the way that things were going with the Pac 10 and Big 12 to get two teams each in the BCS. That may have changed with Oregon going down. That may get Georgia into a BCS. That would also raise everyone up in order.

You also have the "who is going to bring more" factor. Kentucky Fans that have seldom been in the position to go to a major bowl or the Auburn/Alabama winner that is down on how the season turned out when expecting more. The East has been thougher overall this year top to bottom and Georgia and Florida are given for good bowls. Kentucky is hot for the season and Tennessee won the East. That pushes the non-LSU teams down somewhat. As far as bowls go, I do not consider the Liberty Bowl to be lower than the Chick Flick Bowl. It really has much more history and pits the SEC team against a league Champion. The Chick Flick Bowl puts an SEC team against either the 2nd or 3rd place team in the ACC. The expanded ACC really hasn't looked much better than the C-USA. That is sad to say, but true. The Music City is a drop down, as would be the Independence.

I was going with Tennessee going to the SEC Championship and losing. That means falling to Cotton or Chick Flick Bowl. I was also going with the way that things were going with the Pac 10 and Big 12 to get two teams each in the BCS. That may have changed with Oregon going down. That may get Georgia into a BCS. That would also raise everyone up in order.

You also have the "who is going to bring more" factor. Kentucky Fans that have seldom been in the position to go to a major bowl or the Auburn/Alabama winner that is down on how the season turned out when expecting more. The East has been thougher overall this year top to bottom and Georgia and Florida are given for good bowls. Kentucky is hot for the season and Tennessee won the East. That pushes the non-LSU teams down somewhat. As far as bowls go, I do not consider the Liberty Bowl to be lower than the Chick Flick Bowl. It really has much more history and pits the SEC team against a league Champion. The Chick Flick Bowl puts an SEC team against either the 2nd or 3rd place team in the ACC. The expanded ACC really hasn't looked much better than the C-USA. That is sad to say, but true. The Music City is a drop down, as would be the Independence.

I agree. Except, I wouldn't really say that the East is "tougher" than the west. The only thing the east has really done is beat up on itself. LSU beat Florida, South Carolina, an they're sure to win out the rest of the season IMO. Alabama, pounded Tennessee, just barely lost to Georgia. As much as I hate to boast about this one, I will, Auburn beat Florida, but, got beat by an obviously better Georgia. Tennessee, good lord, wooped UGA, the east's supposed most highly ranked team.

I could go on. But, nothing is going to really prove either is better or worse.

Well will we have a new #2 team that won't lose? I wonder how many more upsets are going to happen this weekend to make a bigger mess of the BCS. You'd think LSU would have it easy against Ole Miss this weekend. But in recent years LSU has had a hard time putting Ole Miss away, so it might not be an easy of a game as you might think. Ark and Miss St are both bowl eligible but there might not be enough bowls for everyone in the SEC this year. So the loser might be out of a bowl. Lots of rumors that Arkansas is getting rid of Nutt and looking for a new coach for next season.

I know some will disagree, but being rewarded going to a bowl game by just finishing with a .500 record at 6-6 is just plain ridiculous. Don't get me wrong having 32 bowl games is a football lovers feast; but too many mediocre teams making for watered down bowls. There are 119 teams and 64 make it to a bowl.

What a whacky season indeed!!

The SEC is as guilty as any....Alabama whips Tennessee; Tennessee whips Georgia; Georgia beats Alabama(OT). LSU beats So. Carolina; So.Carolina beats Kentucky; Kentucky beats LSU (3 OT's); Mississippi State whips Kentucky; LSU destroys Miss.State 45-0.

Unfortunately injuries can make or break a team.