NCAA Football

TennBear

I know some will disagree, but being rewarded going to a bowl game by just finishing with a .500 record at 6-6 is just plain ridiculous. Don't get me wrong having 32 bowl games is a football lovers feast; but too many mediocre teams making for watered down bowls. There are 119 teams and 64 make it to a bowl.

Yeah and these new bowls just seem to keep popping up.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah and these new bowls just seem to keep popping up.

And they'll keep popping up as long as there is so much money involved. Locally, the New Orleans Bowl is about as small as they come, and is dwarfed by the Sugar Bowl, but still, they're a year into a huge sponsorship deal with R&L Carriers.

But I completely agree with Richy; there are simply too many bowls now. I'm as big of a college football fan as anyone, but I could certainly do without all of these bowls with "who's more mediocre!?" riding on the line. ;)

Fourth ranked Oklahoma lost. Another top 5 team gone from the championship race. Looks like Carr will be stepping down from Michigan. Guess we'll get to see if Miles will go back to his alma mater or stay with LSU. I keep hearing different things about whether Nutt will be back next year for Arkansas. There's also been some talk for a while of Tuberville possibly leaving Auburn. So the SEC West could be a bit different next year.

I know some will disagree, but being rewarded going to a bowl game by just finishing with a .500 record at 6-6 is just plain ridiculous. Don't get me wrong having 32 bowl games is a football lovers feast; but too many mediocre teams making for watered down bowls. There are 119 teams and 64 make it to a bowl.

I'm with you, richy. The NCAA ought to require teams with 12 game seasons to win 7 games to be bowl eligible. No team with a losing record should have a bowl season, but teams have already wound up 6-7 after losing a bowl game.

What do yall think about having 20 Bowl Games instead with the Top 40 Teams?? Make that 21 Bowl Games(New Orleans Bowl) just in case the SunBelt champteam doesn't reach the Top 40 ;) vs. other smaller conference.

The only thing predictable about this crazy season is that it's unpredictable :lol::dontknow:

Wow two Top 5 teams going down on the road: Oregon and Oklahoma! Texas Tech passsing game is incredible. QB-Graham Harrel attempted 73 passes last night!!! Arizona's DB Antone Cason has a bright future in the NFL!

My buddy up in Arkansas has been hoping Coach Nutt would leave, I'm guessing he gets his wish!?! Who replaces him?

This late in the season injuries can begin to take it's toll; and LSU is no exception w/ All-American DT Glen Dorsey still not 100% since his brutal illegal chop-block nearly a month back vs. Auburn(that wasn't called) And the remaining schedule won't be easy w/ games vs. Mr.McFadden/ Arkansas and the SEC Championship Game vs. Tennessee or Georgia.

I can't believe the meltdown occuring at Alabama; losing to Louisiana-Monroe(ULM) is hard to believe even in this whacky season!

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr retired this morning... now the Les Miles speculation will run rampant.

new BCS standings. I dont think Kansas will make it to the title game. I'm thinking we'll see LSU-WVU, but the way things have been going, predicting may be a futile endeavor.

1. LSU

2. Kansas

3. West Virginia

4. Missouri

5. Ohio State

6. Arizona State

7. Georgia

8. Virginia Tech

9. Oregon

10. Oklahoma

Edited by torgo

With LSU, Kansas, and Arizona State all losing this past weekend, Ohio State finds itself with a reasonable chance to make it back to the National Championship game. An upset loss to Pitt would end the Mountaineers hopes, but I don't see that happening. I think Missorui has a good shot at beating Oklahoma, but the game will be close.

A fitting end to the season, #1 Missouri and #2 West Virginia lost last night, meaning no one has a clue who will play in the BCS title game. Ohio State is in, and will probably play one of the seven other teams who can make a case for going: Georgia, Kansas, Virginia Tech, LSU, USC, Oklahoma and Hawaii. Personally, I think the team to play Ohio State oughta be a team who actually won a BCS conference, which leaves us with Virginia Tech, LSU, USC or Oklahoma. But Virginia Tech got crushed by LSU and USC lost to Stanford, so they are out. LSU lost their 2 games in 6 overtimes, and Oklahoma just beat the crap of the #1 team, so I would say either Oklahoma or LSU should play Ohio State. But.... Oklahoma lost to 6-6 Colorado and if not for a few crazy gambles, LSU could easily be 8-4.

Anyone else want to take a shot at figuring this out? Hey, maybe its time for an 8-team playoff

A fitting end to the season, #1 Missouri and #2 West Virginia lost last night, meaning no one has a clue who will play in the BCS title game. Ohio State is in, and will probably play one of the seven other teams who can make a case for going: Georgia, Kansas, Virginia Tech, LSU, USC, Oklahoma and Hawaii. Personally, I think the team to play Ohio State oughta be a team who actually won a BCS conference, which leaves us with Virginia Tech, LSU, USC or Oklahoma. But Virginia Tech got crushed by LSU and USC lost to Stanford, so they are out. LSU lost their 2 games in 6 overtimes, and Oklahoma just beat the crap of the #1 team, so I would say either Oklahoma or LSU should play Ohio State. But.... Oklahoma lost to 6-6 Colorado and if not for a few crazy gambles, LSU could easily be 8-4.

Anyone else want to take a shot at figuring this out? Hey, maybe its time for an 8-team playoff

It'll be Ohio state and LSU......and it'll be a bloodbath. My prediction: LSU 35-17

^ Don't think so. Certain games have automatic ties to conference champions, and depending on who goes to the BCS National Championship Game, a bowl may have to replace a Conference Winner with an "At Large" team. LSU would typically go to the Sugar Bowl by winning the SEC and Ohio State would go to the Rose as the Big Ten Champion. Both of those teams were replaced by "at-large" schools when the pairings were announced yesterday.

Rodriguez leaving West Virginia to coach Michigan

Looks like UM finally has their coach. Overall I think its a good hire, but I don't know why he left his alma mater for UM when he had spurned Alabama last year?

Anyway it looks like R. Mallet will transfer (Arkansa/Ole Miss?) as Rodriguez has stated he'll run the same offense at UM as he did at WVU.

Rodriguez leaving West Virginia to coach Michigan

Looks like UM finally has their coach. Overall I think its a good hire, but I don't know why he left his alma mater for UM when he had spurned Alabama last year?

Anyway it looks like R. Mallet will transfer (Arkansa/Ole Miss?) as Rodriguez has stated he'll run the same offense at UM as he did at WVU.

recruiting is going to be to vast for him to be successful at michigan. Also, his type of game will be dominant in the Big Ten, because speed kills those kids. Unfortunately, I don't think he can get those type of kids in Michigan.

recruiting is going to be to vast for him to be successful at michigan. Also, his type of game will be dominant in the Big Ten, because speed kills those kids. Unfortunately, I don't think he can get those type of kids in Michigan.

I think this is a great hire for Michigan. Rodriguez can get those players, but its going to take some time for Michigan to contend again if they are gonna run a spread-option right out of the gate. Michigan doesn't have the players for that right now, but if he can load up with those guys over the next few years, they will dominate the Big-10. I think he'll have a much easier time recruiting those guys to Michigan than he would at West Virginia, simply because, well, its Michigan.

Edited by torgo

The only problem with running this type of offense is that one injury can make your offense ineffective (see the WVU-Pitt Game, Look at Oregon).

As for the Big Ten, Illinios is running this offense right now, and they had a good season, but still lost two conference games. Once the other schools adjust to playing these types of offense, I don't think that there will be that much of an edge. Ohio State and Penn State have the athletes to defend this once they figure it out.

I think this is a great hire for Michigan. Rodriguez can get those players, but its going to take some time for Michigan to contend again if they are gonna run a spread-option right out of the gate. Michigan doesn't have the players for that right now, but if he can load up with those guys over the next few years, they will dominate the Big-10. I think he'll have a much easier time recruiting those guys to Michigan than he would at West Virginia, simply because, well, its Michigan.

I agree he will have more of a scope, but he is not used to that, it will be overwhelming at first. I think it will be tough for him.

The only problem with running this type of offense is that one injury can make your offense ineffective (see the WVU-Pitt Game, Look at Oregon).

As for the Big Ten, Illinios is running this offense right now, and they had a good season, but still lost two conference games. Once the other schools adjust to playing these types of offense, I don't think that there will be that much of an edge. Ohio State and Penn State have the athletes to defend this once they figure it out.

Illinois offense is a little different, but you saw the damage they could do with the quick strike and the ball control with keeping it on the ground. I think if Michigan can adjust it will be a unique offense that could work, but I think it may be to difficult. The Big Ten may be slow but they are hard hitting kids, the weather is colder the ground is harder. The QB's will be going down a few times a season.

Hey everyone, I took a break from posting on here b/c of some illnesses in my family that I needed to help out with. Cancer is an SOB, as I lost an uncle and have another family member fighting breast cancer, though things look ok there. :cry:

Anyways, honestly, this has been the craziest season in College Football history. My Buckeyes are definitely farther than I thought they would make it, especially after falling to Illinois. I'm not sure if they can beat LSU in practically, their home stadium, I know it isn't, but it's only a couple hrs away, but I do know that they will give a much better account for themselves and will make it a heck of a game.

Question for everyone, doesn't this season absolutely scream for a playoff(I mean how can you tell who is better between Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU, and USC, all w/ 2 losses). I still say, make a 16 team playoff, where you take each of the 11 conference champions, and then take the 5 highest rated at large bids. Play the first 2 rounds in the higher seeds' home stadiums, then play the semis' in 2 of the BCS Bowl sites, and then play the title game 2 weeks later at another BCS bowl site. The other "minor" bowls can still host their games. It's not like anybody really pays attention to them anyway, unless their team is involved. By taking all 11 conference champs, you give the little conferences a chance, just like they get in March Madness, which imo, is the best time of the year.

^I am very sorry to hear that about your family ohioaninSC. It's no joke, a few years back I lost my completely healthy grandmother, the nasty stuff spread in the brain. Anyway it's good to have you back here.

No doubt this has been the whackiest College Football season ever! It's screaming playoff more than ever! This year 16 teams would be perfect; an average year maybe 8 teams or even a Final 4. You have some good ideas for sure!

You are right, the Ohio State-LSU game should be a classic IMO!

^^As usual...thanks dgreco for the Bowl Game w/ logo's included! Sorry I did not see the post earlier! What a way to start off the Bowl season!!!!!! Utah getting by Navy 35-32 after being down 17-7 earlier in the 3rd qtr. I realize it's after the fact, but I agree with the pick. Both teams looked good this season; but what really stood out was Utah crushing UCLA 44-6 earlier this year!

Edited by richyb83