NCAA Football

TennBear

I want to see the DI-FBS vs. FCS games, hoping some major upsets happen. That is the msot exciting part of the first few weeks for me.

dgreco, Not sure what those are. I was hoping that someone would answer and explain them.

I have some other games from the Opening week.

Colorado State - Colorado; these two hate each other and that always means a good game even if the teams are down that year.

Wake Forest - Boston College; See if last year was a figment of the imagination.

Georgia Tech - Notre Dame; GT should be improved. It was close last year and I'm not sure that ND will have improved.

Arizona - BYU; teams that want respect and have a chance to stand up for their leagues.

On Monday, Florida State - Clemson; the Daddy - Son Bowl. Son could be gone if he doesn't win.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ND-Ga Tech should be interesting. A lot of people are saying that ND will have a relatively lousy year (6-6, 7-5), so we'll quickly whether or not that is the case. Last year when ND was supposed to be awesome, they just barely beat GT. USC will have a good test for their second game: on the road against the Cornhuskers.

Wow yall, this thread has me fired-up too. The Football Season will be here before you know it!

I think dgreco could be talking about " major upsets" (Just an example) DI-FBS team like Western Kentucky FCS team like over Florida?? I don't see that one happening. Or Murray State over Louisville?? :shok: But it's bound to happen to someone?? FBS-FCS a bit confusing; will take getting used to.

There are quite a few "FBS" teams like Florida Atlantic, Idaho, Temple, Buffalo,etc. barely hanging on to their D1 staus. And averaging anything less than 15,000 attendance makes it tough to pay the bill$.

Week 1 looks to be alot of FUN as always! Nice games listed there TennBear :thumbsup:

Also *Oklahoma State vs. Georgia; Tennessee at Cal; Oregon State vs. Utah; and Idaho at USC...NOT!

The season will start on a Thursday night (Aug.30th) LSU at Mississippi State

And in Week 2 , Sept. 8th a pair of Top 10 heavyweights clash! Virginia Tech vs. LSU in Baton Rouge

also....interesting games "Old School Bowl" Miami vs. Oklahoma; Notre Dame vs. Penn State;

Week 3 USC vs. Nebraska will be good game like torgo said!

Edited by richyb83

Week 1 looks to be alot of FUN as always! Nice games listed there TennBear :thumbsup:

Also *Oklahoma State vs. Georgia; Tennessee at Cal; Oregon State vs. Utah; and Idaho at USC...NOT!

The season will start on a Thursday night (Aug.30th) LSU at Mississippi State

Richy, Thanks for the information on Dgreco's abreviations.

I had mentioned Tennessee vs California earlier. I didn't want to sound like a homer by mentioning it again. SEC East 2nd or 3rd vs PAC 10 1st or 2nd sounds like a good game to watch. I wasn't certain about Oklahoma State vs Georgia. I know that they are both in BCS Conferences, but I saw OSU as being 4th or 5th in the B12 South vs 1st or 2nd in the SEC East. I could be wrong and it could be a big, close game. Utah and the WAC are still not on my radar fully. 3rd Place WAC team vs 5th or 6th place Pac 10 team didn't draw me in. Idaho vs Southern Cal. I'll let your statement stand. I knew that LSU was opening it off on Thursday night vs Mississippi State, but 1st or 2nd in the SEC West vs 6th in the SEC West didn't set off any thoughts of a good game.

I was thinking about saving each week for the games that are most interesting in those weeks, but we can hit them early too.

West Virginia is tough! They have some nice runners in the offensive backfield with RB-Steve Slaton, QB-Pat White and FB-Owen Schmidt. Funny thing is Slaton was not as highly recruited as the other RB's that are on the bench or no longer with the team.

I find that "generally" thru the years, Texas and Notre Dame are more over-rated than any other team in the country. -minus Vince Young of course in 05'. Not to say Texas won't be pre-season Top 5-7 this season??

Edited by richyb83

For those of you that may not know, Yahoo Sports is doing a preseason top 50 countdown. They have gone through 9. I have listed them below. It is their list. Enjoy. Let's see what you think of their choices.

50. Central Michigan

49. Kansas State

48. Arizona

47. Cincinnati

46. Michigan State

45. BYU

44. Texas Tech

43. Iowa

42. Georgia Tech

41. Wake Forest

40. Purdue

39. Maryland

38. Kentucky

37. Alabama

36. Missouri

35. Oklahoma State

34. Oregon State

32. Oregon

33. TCU

31. Notre Dame

30. South Florida

29. South Carolina

28. Arizona State

27. Boise State

26. Clemson

25. UCLA

24. Arkansas

23. Florida State

22. Texas A&M

21. Hawaii

20. Miami

19. Rutgers

18. Nebraska

17. Tennessee

16. Boston College

15. Penn State

14. Georgia

13. California

12. Auburn

11. Virginia Tech

10. Ohio State

9. Oklahoma

Edited by TennBear

West Virginia is tough! They have some nice runners in the offensive backfield with RB-Steve Slaton, QB-Pat White and FB-Owen Schmidt. Funny thing is Slaton was not as highly recruited as the other RB's that are on the bench or no longer with the team.

I find that "generally" thru the years, Texas and Notre Dame are more over-rated than any other team in the country. -minus Vince Young of course in 05'. Not to say Texas won't be pre-season Top 5-7 this season??

WVU's offense will be incredible. Texas will be very good this year. The QB Colt McCoy will be a sophmore and will know the offense that much better this year. I can only see this team improving in the next couple of years, as he gets older.

More Poll Results

No.______ Team____ S&S_____ Athlon___ CBS_____ TSN_____ Lindy's___ Coll. FB News_______ Phil Steele Avg.

1._______ So Cal___ 1________1________ 1________1________1________ 1_________________ 1________ 1.000

2._______ LSU_____ 4________ 3________ 2________ 2________ 2________ 2_________________ 2________ 2.428

3._______ W. Virginia 2________ 5________ 4________ 4________ 4________ 10________________ 4________ 4.714

4._______ Michigan__ 5________ 8________ 3________ 3________ 3________ 9________ _________5________ 5.143

5._______ Texas____ 8________ 2________ 8________ 6________ 5________ 3________ _________6________ 5.428

6._______ Wisconsin_ 3________ 4________ 6________ 8________ 6________ 6_________________ 16_______ 7.000

7._______ Florida___ 6________ 6________ 5________ 5________ 11_______ 4________ _________14_______ 7.286

8._______ Oklahoma 7________ 7________ 9________ 13_______ 10_______ 8_________________ 3________ 8.143

9._______ VA Tech__ 9________ 9________ 10_______ 7________ 8________ 5________ _________9________ 8.143

10.______ Louisville_ 10_______ 13_______ 7________ 9________ 9________ 19_______ _________7________ 10.571

11.______ Ohio State 15_______ 12_______ 15_______ 17_______ 13_______ 13_______ _________15_______ 14.286

12.______ California_ 11_______ 11_______ 14_______ 12_______ 12_______ 15________________ --_______ 14.428

13.______ UCLA____ 17_______ 15_______ 12_______ 10_______ 22_______ 7_________________ 21_______ 14.857

14.______ Georgia__ 16_______ 16_______ 20_______ 14_______ 17_______ 12_______ _________11_______ 15.143

15.______ Penn State 13_______ 17_______ 22_______ 15_______ --_______ 16_______ _________10_______ 17.000

16.______ Rutgers__ 19_______ 10_______ 18_______ 19_______ 16_______ 17________________ --_______ 17.857

17.______ Tennessee 21_______ 20_______ 16_______ 18_______ 7________ 18________________ 25_______ 17.857

18.______ Auburn___ 14_______ 21_______ 11_______ 16_______ 23_______ 22_______ _________--_______ 19.000

19.______ Arkansas_ 12_______ --_______ 13_______ --_______ 14_______ --________________ --_______ 20.428

20.______ Nebraska_ 20_______ 18_______ 24_______ 23_______ 25_______ 14_______ _________22_______ 20.857

21.______ TCU_____ 23_______ 25_______ 17_______ 20_______ 15_______ --________________ 23_______ 21.286

22.______ Hawaii___ --_______ 19_______ 25_______ --_______ 19_______ --________________12_______ 21.857

23.______ Texas A&M --_______ 23_______ 21_______ --_______ 18_______ --________________ 20_______ 22.857

24.______ Missouri__ 18_______ --_______ --_______ --_______ --_______ 20_______ _________19_______ 23.000

25.______ Boise St__ 25_______ --_______ 19_______ 22_______ --_______ --________________ --_______ 24.286

Edited by TennBear

Rivals is down to just 2 left.

50. Central Michigan

49. Kansas State

48. Arizona

47. Cincinnati

46. Michigan State

45. BYU

44. Texas Tech

43. Iowa

42. Georgia Tech

41. Wake Forest

40. Purdue

39. Maryland

38. Kentucky

37. Alabama

36. Missouri

35. Oklahoma State

34. Oregon State

32. Oregon

33. TCU

31. Notre Dame

30. South Florida

29. South Carolina

28. Arizona State

27. Boise State

26. Clemson

25. UCLA

24. Arkansas

23. Florida State

22. Texas A&M

21. Hawaii

20. Miami

19. Rutgers

18. Nebraska

17. Tennessee

16. Boston College

15. Penn State

14. Georgia

13. California

12. Auburn

11. Virginia Tech

10. Ohio State

9. Oklahoma

8. Wisconsin

7. Louisville

6. Texas

5. Florida

4. Michigan

3. LSU

guess that it will be

2. West Virginia

1. Southern Cal

It was.

Edited by TennBear

Huh, I woulda put LSU ahead of WVU, if for no other reason than the fact that LSU plays in the SEC. Can't argue with #1 though! :D

I think that at this time you could rearrange any of the top 8 or 9. Who is to say if Texas is better than Oklahoma until they play. The same could be said for Wisconsin and Michigan, Louisville and West Virginia, or Florida and LSU. I am of the thought that you can't take a lot of credence in any of the polls until October. The bad part is that if voters have been voting for a team even if they have not looked as good as they have been ranked continue to stay ranked above those that have worked their way up.

Here is what Rivals has put in as it's guess for the Bowls. Some of them are just attempts to have rematches of important games in the past and not real guesses.

Date Bowl

Dec. 20 Poinsettia Bowl Utah-Navy

Dec. 21 New Orleans Bowl Troy-UTEP

Dec. 22 PapaJohns.com Bowl Cincinnati-Central Florida

Dec. 22 New Mexico Bowl New Mexico-Nevada

Dec. 22 Las Vegas Bowl Arizona State-Texas Christian

Dec. 23 Hawai

I saw this too. I am all about predictions and guessing, but it seemed a little over-the-top to have some bowl predictions out. What's next, preseason rankings for 2008? Michigan-Florida would make for an interesting Rose Bowl though.

Everyone is sleeping on my Ohio State Buckeyes b/c of the disaster on 1/8 and the loss of so much on offense, but LSU is in the same boat, and has to replace most of their offense. Not that I think OSU will be as good as LSU, but it just seems interesting to me. The Buckeyes will have the best defense in the Big 10 and Michigan can't beat Ohio State anymore. If they beat Penn State in Happy Valley at Night, they could go unbeaten but w/ their schedule this year, not play for a Title. I do think they will lose 1 game but win the Big 10. Michigan won't win the conference b/c they won't be very good on defense. It will be between Wisconsin and Ohio State, and Ohio State is at home in that game, so we should win. Everyone is putting them up there so high, but they to have to break in a new QB, just like OSU has to.

Heres my conference champion predictions:

Big East: West Virginia

Big 10: Ohio State

ACC: Virginia Tech

SEC: LSU

Big 12: Texas

Pac 10: USC

My rankings go:

1. USC

2. LSU

3. Texas

4. WVU

5. Ohio State

6. Florida

7. Tennessee

8. Wisconsin

9. Oklahoma

10. Michigan

I would rank the conferences as follows.

1. SEC

2. Pac 10

3. Big 10

4. Big 12

5. Big East

6. ACC

Finally, I don't see ND doing any better than 7-5, w/ losses to Purdue, Penn State, Michigan, USC, and UCLA. This also could be the year Navy finally beats them. I also wouldn't be surprised if they lost to Boston College or Georgia Tech.

The big ten has a lot of work to do to fix their image after OSU got crushed by Florida and Michigan got crushed by USC. Both teams will definitely be very good, but they will have an uphill battle to reach near the top of the polls, because people (including myself) would expect them to lose the speedy SEC, or USC, or Texas, or many others. I can see Michigan running the table to the OSU game, but they could have more problems with Wisconsin since the defense will be lacking compared to last year's group.

I would like to make a motion that we move this topic to the top with the other "sticky" sports topics. Seconded?

Coaches Poll is out. No big surprises here:

1 USC

2 LSU

3 Florida

4 Texas

5 Michigan

6 West Virginia

7 Wisconsin

8 Oklahoma

9 Virginia Tech

10 Ohio State

11 Louisville

12 California

13 Georgia

14 Auburn

15 Tennessee

16 Rutgers

17 UCLA

18 Penn State

19 Nebraska

20 Arkansas

21 Florida State

22 TCU

23 Boise State

24 Hawaii

25 Texas A&M

Edited by torgo

UNC did get a couple of pretty darn good recruits this past spring, so I would expect them to improve.

Torgo, They should. I was just having fun because they have not been good lately in Football and they are considered a Basketball School. Too Bad they won't be as good as Tennessee this year in Basketball. (Playing again. They should be very good this year in Basketball)

Here is the first Coaches Poll of the Year

1. Southern California (45)

2. LSU (4)

3. Florida (9)

4. Texas

5. Michigan (2)

6. West Virginia

7. Wisconsin

8. Oklahoma

9. Virginia Tech

10. Ohio State

11. Louisville

12. California

13. Georgia

14. Auburn

15. Tennessee

16. Rutgers

17. UCLA

18. Penn State

19. Nebraska

20. Arkansas

21. Florida State

22. TCU

23. Boise State

24. Hawaii

25. Texas A&M

Edited by TennBear

The way that the first USA Today Coaches Poll falls out:

SEC 6 teams .5%

Big 10 4 teams .36%

Big 12 4 teams .33%

Big East 3 teams .315%

Pac 10 3 teams .30%

WAC 2 teams .22%

ACC 2 teams .166%

MWC 1 team .125%

Look no ND, they came in #30

That's a surprise. Usually even when ND isn't that good they usually get a low 20-25 ranking anyway.