NCAA Football

TennBear

I predict that Notre Dame will win 4 games this year, but will somehow still be ranked in the top 10. ;)

But seriously, I'm suprised to see Notre Dame out of the top 25, but I honestly wouldn't be suprised to see them in the top 25 in the AP poll, considering the Irish and Charlie Weis can seemingly do no wrong in the eyes of the media. I can't remember the last time Notre Dame wasn't overrated.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict that Notre Dame will win 4 games this year, but will somehow still be ranked in the top 10. ;)

But seriously, I'm suprised to see Notre Dame out of the top 25, but I honestly wouldn't be suprised to see them in the top 25 in the AP poll, considering the Irish and Charlie Weis can seemingly do no wrong in the eyes of the media. I can't remember the last time Notre Dame wasn't overrated.

I think the last time that happened when they weren't over rated is when they Four Horsemen played there ;) . I think ever since the late 80s when I started following NCAA Football, they have been over rated. This may be their worst year in that stretch. I fully expect Navy to end their 40+ game losing streak to them, and I fully expect to hear their fans calling for Weiss' head now b/c he has done no better than Willingham had.

The big ten has a lot of work to do to fix their image after OSU got crushed by Florida and Michigan got crushed by USC. Both teams will definitely be very good, but they will have an uphill battle to reach near the top of the polls, because people (including myself) would expect them to lose the speedy SEC, or USC, or Texas, or many others. I can see Michigan running the table to the OSU game, but they could have more problems with Wisconsin since the defense will be lacking compared to last year's group.

I would like to make a motion that we move this topic to the top with the other "sticky" sports topics. Seconded?

Coaches Poll is out. No big surprises here:

1 USC

2 LSU

3 Florida

4 Texas

5 Michigan

6 West Virginia

7 Wisconsin

8 Oklahoma

9 Virginia Tech

10 Ohio State

11 Louisville

12 California

13 Georgia

14 Auburn

15 Tennessee

16 Rutgers

17 UCLA

18 Penn State

19 Nebraska

20 Arkansas

21 Florida State

22 TCU

23 Boise State

24 Hawaii

25 Texas A&M

I agree, they will have to do a lot to fix that image from last season. I don't understand though why they get called out for it, but 10 years ago, when Nebraska put an even bigger beatdown on Florida, no one in the media said Florida had to do a lot to fix their image. I don't think the speed is all that big of a difference either, b/c it was only a few seasons ago that Ohio State did beat a supposedly faster team in Miami for a national title, so I don't get that arguement either. Like I did say, Ohio State got blasted, but I don't think that will keep them down for long, and I fully expect them to be in the top 5/6 by the season's end.

In 2008, they start a home and home w/ USC, so that is when they will truly be able to prove if they can compete w/ the top dogs or not. They didn't do too bad w/ Texas though splitting w/ them and dominating them in Texas, while losing a very tight one at home in Tex national title season.

I agree, they will have to do a lot to fix that image from last season. I don't understand though why they get called out for it, but 10 years ago, when Nebraska put an even bigger beatdown on Florida, no one in the media said Florida had to do a lot to fix their image. I don't think the speed is all that big of a difference either, b/c it was only a few seasons ago that Ohio State did beat a supposedly faster team in Miami for a national title, so I don't get that arguement either. Like I did say, Ohio State got blasted, but I don't think that will keep them down for long, and I fully expect them to be in the top 5/6 by the season's end.

In 2008, they start a home and home w/ USC, so that is when they will truly be able to prove if they can compete w/ the top dogs or not. They didn't do too bad w/ Texas though splitting w/ them and dominating them in Texas, while losing a very tight one at home in Tex national title season.

OhioninSC,

I agree with you that OSU should not have been blasted and that they are fine. They largely got blasted because they have been one of the top teams in the country for several years now ande had recently won the National Championship. When Florida got blasted by Nebraska, they had not yet made it over that hump of having a National Championship. Unfair maybe, but it is part of having a major legacy. I see a bigger hit on the legacy being that OSU has never beaten an SEC team in a bowl. That may bring up the talk of speed. That also is not fair. Playing teams in the SEC in home and home games, I am certain that OSU would do very well. They match up very well against most teams in the country and have one of the best coaches out there. OSU will continue to do very well and when they do lose, they will be hammered by fans and foes alike. That is just part of what they have to live with from being one of the premier programs in the country.

The USC home and home should be good for football and good for the fans. I hope that it will cause some of the recruits that have only been looking at USC to look elsewhere as well. It is not good for the sport if USC continues to get as many of the prime recruits as they have.

I am not saying that the other schools shouldn't be working harder to counter the recruiting prowess of USC, they should. The fact is that USC and UCLA both should have an advantage over most schools just from the size of the LA area to recruit from. USC has ruled there and also made significant inroads in areas like Louisiana, Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma. These things go in cycles and I remember when USC had faded for a number of years.

The USC home and home should be good for football and good for the fans. I hope that it will cause some of the recruits that have only been looking at USC to look elsewhere as well. It is not good for the sport if USC continues to get as many of the prime recruits as they have.

I am not saying that the other schools shouldn't be working harder to counter the recruiting prowess of USC, they should. The fact is that USC and UCLA both should have an advantage over most schools just from the size of the LA area to recruit from. USC has ruled there and also made significant inroads in areas like Louisiana, Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma. These things go in cycles and I remember when USC had faded for a number of years.

I agree. As big of a USC fan as I am, there will have to be a drop off at some point. But, I can't see them losing too much ground as long as Carroll is there. They will be a strong Top 25 team for at least the next two to three years if Carroll sticks around, probably longer. Right now, USC and Florida have the upper hand in recruiting, because they are hands-down the best teams in their respective states, and FL and CA are by far and away the two best states for recruiting top-notch athletes. Other upper-echelon schools have to work harder to get the kids who have been surrounded by USC or Florida for their entire lives. I read somewhere over the summer that USC spends most of its time recruiting within a hundred miles or so around LA, although a number of their current/recent stand-outs were from elsewhere (Booty, Jarrett, etc).

• 3 weeks later...

There is a "Buzz" in the air!!! Football Season is almost here! :yahoo:

It's interesting to watch the way the cycles go with winning of the these "powerhouse" programs!!!

Historically is there anybody better than Ohio State 72%(All-Time) in the past 25 years?? Maybe Miami of Florida State (which have slid recently)?? They seem to be the most consistent. Maybe Texas too?? What USC has done the past 5 years(59-6) is very impressive! But they hit a funk only 5-7 in 2000 and losing the Las Vegas Bowl to Utah 10-6 in 2001. LSU had plenty of rough years back in the 90's. Florida was sliding under Ron Zook before hiring Urban Meyer.

Win-Loss Records the past 7 years:

*Oklahoma 75-11

*Texas 70-12

*Miami 66-14

*Ohio State 66-15

*USC 66-17

*LSU 65-18

*Virginia Tech 65-18

*Georgia 64-19

*Michigan 62-18

*Florida 62-20

*Auburn 62-20

*Tennessee 59-23

*Florida State 59-24

*Nebraska 57-26

*Louisville 65-16

*Notre Dame 54-26

>>I might have missed a few??

Edited by richyb83

There is a "Buzz" in the air!!! Football Season is almost here! :yahoo:

It's interesting to watch the way the cycles go with winning of the these "powerhouse" programs!!!

Historically is there anybody better than Ohio State 72%(All-Time) in the past 25 years?? Maybe Miami of Florida State (which have slid recently)?? They seem to be the most consistent. Maybe Texas too?? What USC has done the past 5 years(59-6) is very impressive! But they hit a funk only 5-7 in 2000 and losing the Las Vegas Bowl to Utah 10-6 in 2001. LSU had plenty of rough years back in the 90's. Florida was sliding under Ron Zook before hiring Urban Meyer.

Win-Loss Records the past 7 years:

*Oklahoma 75-11

*Texas 70-12

*Miami 66-14

*Ohio State 66-15

*USC 66-17

*LSU 65-18

*Virginia Tech 65-18

*Georgia 64-19

*Michigan 62-18

*Florida 62-20

*Auburn 62-20

*Tennessee 59-23

*Florida State 59-24

*Nebraska 57-26

*Louisville 65-16

*Notre Dame 54-26

>>I might have missed a few??

Maybe they have had a creampuff schedule, but if you look at the Big Ten most of those schools play an easy OCC schedule, and besides the big 4 the conference is a joke anyway... BUT

Boise St. 78-12

Also Oklahoma lost their entire season a few years ago because of the illegal work, so there record should be a little lower as far as wins is concerned... i believe.

Games Start Thursday. As my other half says, I'm lost through the first week in January. Then through the beginning of April for Round Ball. I'm hoping that Mississippi State will make it a game for the first half against Auburn so that I can at least get the blood flowing. Here's hoping that the VOLS take it to the Golden Bears on Saturday.

Games Start Thursday. I'm hoping that Mississippi State will make it a game for the first half against Auburn so that I can at least get the blood flowing.

You mean LSU vs. Mississippi State?? Wrong Tigers :lol:

Miss. State should come out sky-high/emotionally charged at home vs. the #2 rank team on National TV!

The Cal-Tennessee game should be entertaining; probably much closer than last years thrashing.

Yeah dgreco I considered Boise State(72-11) but as "Mid-Major" power, but they did beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl; so you are right, they are definetly worthy! Then another mid-major TCU(61-18) can also be included too. They would do better in the Big 12 instead of poor Baylor (23-57).

You mean LSU vs. Mississippi State?? Wrong Tigers :lol:

Miss. State should come out sky-high/emotionally charged at home vs. the #2 rank team on National TV!

The Cal-Tennessee game should be entertaining; probably much closer than last years thrashing.

Yeah dgreco I considered Boise State(72-11) but as "Mid-Major" power, but they did beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl; so you are right, they are definetly worthy! Then another mid-major TCU(61-18) can also be included too. They would do better in the Big 12 instead of poor Baylor (23-57).

I also think if a school like SMU got back into the Big XII, or the SWC when they were in it, could be a powerhouse. Playing in CUSA just wont bring the recruits to play texas football.

Also, we talked about the start of the season, don't forget the best football out ther DII! it started on the 23rd and some great games have already been played. Thank God for CSTV :D

, don't forget the best football out ther DII! it started on the 23rd and some great games have already been played. Thank God for CSTV :D

As a matter of fact I caught the end of the game between Pittsburg State vs. Texas A&M C.C. It was very entertaining!

A Nebraska upset of USC would be a bummer for me; only bec. I would like to see LSU play USC for the Championship Title in the "Unfinished Business" Bowl!

Edited by richyb83

What is everyone's first major upset of the year?

Nebraska over USC in Lincoln would certainly start the season off with a bang.

I know that RichyB83 would be bummed by that, but I think that it would add a whole lot of interest to the season to knock the unanimous pre-season favorite out of the race at the beginning of the season or at least put them behind the eight ball. That would make a number of teams start thinking that it might be their year and give teams in the PAC 10 the thought that they could de-throne USC. I know that Cal tied for the PAC 10 last year, but ISC has been at the top over the last number of years. Troy winning any one of their games vs. the SEC would be another big one.

Here are the biggest games for the opening week:

Tennessee at California, Both teams need this win if they are going to be seen as being contenders within their conferences. In addition, Tennessee plays Soutern Miss and at Florida in their followup games and needs a strong start to make it through the beginning of their schedule. Got to go with Tennessee. The Vols last visit to the West Coast was not so good. UT started out well, but as they were moving down the field in what looked to be the first of many scores their Senior quarterback was lost for the year. The primary backup had played baseball in the spring and hadn't fully got into sink with the offense in the pre-season. The other two quarterbacks were freshmen and hadn't really got all of the offense under their belts yet. The Vols floundered for 3 quarters before a strong late rally that nearly won the game. Mannings opening game of his freshman year at UCLA (Rose Bowl). Closer than last year, but a Vols Win.

Florida State at Clemson, Bobby needs to show that the changes that he made to his coaching staff have put them back into the drivers seat again in the ACC and on the National Scene. His son needs this win to help insure that he has a job at the end of the season. Clemson fans are getting tired of not being a contender for the ACC. FSU helps Dad, but drives a nail into his son's coffin. Death Valley Light turns Deathly Quiet.

Wake Forest at Boston College, WF needs to show that last year wasn't a fluke and BC needs to show that they are still contenders in the ACC with their new coach. BC shows well for their new first year coach and helps their chances for an ACC Championship by giving WF a major set back in their attempt to repeat as ACC Champs.

Georgia Tech vs Notre Dame, GT played ND very close last year and thinks that they should be better this year. ND needs to make certain that they win all the games that they can. A 6-6 season is not out of the question this year. The ND Faithful have to hold out hope that they can beat Navy for yet another year, what was it 1962 when Navy won last. GT looks better than last year with a more balanced offense and ND shows a good deal of talent, but too much youth in a loss.

Oklahoma State at Georgia, Georgia needs to rebound from last years down year. OSU needs to show that they can play with name teams, since they have the Big 12 South with all of it's big name teams coming up on the schedule. They have turned the trick before on several name teams and think that this would help confidence for the season. OSU learns that the Big 12 stadiums are quiet when compared to SEC stadiums. They loose their confidence as they gain mistakes caused by the noise. Their offense doesn't hold up and the defense wears out. The UGA offense starts to gel in the second half and carries the Bulldogs to a big victory.

Yay! Its time to start predicting again! I gotta change my avatar... :D

Tenn over Cal

FSU over Clemson

Wake over Boston College

GT over ND

Georga over Oklahoma State

No brainers:

USC (by 40) over Idaho

Florida (by 60) over W Kentucky

Mich (by 30) over Applachain St

and on and on...

Edited by torgo

"The Most Wonderful Time of the Year is Upon us". College football season is the best b/c I do believe we have the most passionate fans of any sport. It's too bad we don't decide a national champion on the field but I do believe that day will come. Until then, we'll all banter about why our teams deserve something or not, but oh well.

I love pretty much everything there is about college football, the rivalries (Ohio State/That school up north, Auburn/Alabama, Texas/Oklahoma, Florida/Florida State, and of course Army/Navy), the traditions (Script Ohio, the Twelvth Man, USC Song Girls, Touching the rock @ Clemson), and of course the fact that each year, whatever school you follow will have a completely different team (some years, you may return 18/19 starters, and lose no one of significance, but still will replace somebody and may have a target, and other years, you may have 12 new starters b/c you lost a lot). I like coming into a season w/ a lot of question marks and seeing which kids step up, and which ones don't work out. Lastly, I love the tailgating. Nothing beats grilling the brats, steaks, burgers, ribs or whatever else, and drinking that ice cold beer. I know at OSU, my friends and I always got the tailgate going about 7:00 AM regardless of the the game time. This is the best time of year, and I can't wait to see how another great season plays itself out.

Let's see.. tonight I have my choice of watching Tulsa vs. UL-Monroe, (sure to be a nail-biter), or I could watch the crappy local coverage of the crappy Detroit Lions in their last pre-season game. Decisions, decisions...

Edited by torgo

OOUUUCCH!!!! Murray State(1-11 last year) was paid $300,000 for that brutal beatdown!

And Cincinnati beat SE Missouri State 59-3!

^Well said OhioaninSC, I can appreciate your passion for College Football! Nothing like it!!! The NFL is (1b). It is a great time of the year for sure!

I want to see the DI-FBS vs. FCS games, hoping some major upsets happen. That is the msot exciting part of the first few weeks for me.

From way back on July 15th

Yeah ask?? Ye shall recieve? "SHOCKER of the Day/DECADE" 4th Qtr. Appalachain State leading #5 Michigan 31-26 :shok: You got to be kiddin' me!

Any predictions on how far Michigan will drop in the polls? Will they even stay ranked? I don't think any Div II team has ever beaten a ranked team let alone a team rated as high as 5th and considered a contender for the Natl Championship.

A Division I-AA team has never beaten a I-A opponent ranked in the top 25 until today.

Personally, I think Michigan should fall completely out of the top 25, but I would think they would fall to around #20.