Gaylord Wants To Go It Alone

producer2

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what they are doing in other cities is great and a part of being smarter than your competition. What they are trying to do in Nashville is IMO unfair. They rode in on the coattails of the MCC to get a part of the new tax dollar generated by the hotel/motel tax designed to build the MCC, THEN after saying they think both projects are good for the city, they want to be assured they get their money BEFORE the MCC gets approval. How is that for running an end loop......

I wouldn't characterize city issued bonds or TIF as debt per se. If they can get it done it's $80 million they would otherwise have to pay for themselves. And it would get paid back out of future real estate and/or sales taxes they would otherwise pay to the state or local governments anyway. Indeed a sweet deal for Reed if he can pull it off; I wouldn't bet against him.

The decision for the city/state is whether or not Gaylord would move forward with the deal anyway without the help. If they would then the city/state just wasted well over a hundred million in future revenue that would be lost to retire the bonds. This, BTW, is virtually the same decision the city faces on TIF to help get residential projects started in Nashville. The developers argue that it doesn't "cost" the city anything because the "free money" gets paid back by real estate taxes associated with the increased property value which wouldn't have existed if the project didn't move ahead. But again, if the developers are sandbagging the city and would move ahead anyway (or some other developer on some other site would build those units without TIF) the TIF proceeds and all the interest accrued on it over the years represents lost future revenue the city could otherwise use for other purposes (parks, schools, mass transit, etc.).

I don't want Gaylord to get any TIF or any money. How much money did they cost the city when they closed the theme park? How much did they cost the city when they did not renew their naming rights for the now Sommet Center? How many illegals were they housing in apartments/hotels on Murfreesboro road near Plus Park Blvd? How many people from countries not friendly with the US are they getting employees from? How much did they cost the city by no longer hosting professional golf tournaments?

Archived