CINCINNATI: Glendale...Depot Square

grasscat

The village of Glendale (pop. 2,500) is located in north-central Hamilton County near the intersections of I-75 and I-275, about 14 miles north of the Cincinnati CBD. It was founded in 1851 and incorporated in 1855.

It is the first planned railroad community in the United States and the first planned suburban community laid out in the curvilinear street pattern that followed topography. The National Park Service designated Glendale as a National Historic Landmark District in 1977.

Surrounding municipalities include Springdale, Sharonville, Evendale and Woodlawn.

Today

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the train station there. I have heard of railroad communities but have never seen one, or at least recognized one, before. Do you know if there is still passenger service there and what kind? Thanks!

A simply beautiful building.

glen038042804.jpg

I really like the train station there. I have heard of railroad communities but have never seen one, or at least recognized one, before. Do you know if there is still passenger service there and what kind? Thanks!

Unfortunately, there is no longer passenger service from that depot or along that line. The tracks now haul freight for CSX, and the depot is a heritage museum.

Archived