Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tombarnes

MiMo

4 posts in this topic

MiMo- Miami Modern and the Rebirth of Biscayne Boulevard

Biscayne Boulevard had slumped downward from a strip of jaunty modern hotels and motels into a strip of less than appealing haunts for prostitutes and the like. In the past few years, however, owners have transformed many of the former motels into restaurants, offices and other buisinesses. One of the most outrageous of the pack is the Vagabond, a '50's motel which is being renovated into a hipper version of itself. It has taken some time for many to realize the merits of MiMo, often relegated to the trash heap of architectural history. Its garish colors and rakish profiles are finally coming into their own. This hasn't come without a fight, as many of these places- particularly on Collins Avenue, have already been lost. Still, the future is a bit brighter for this neonopolis these days.

The Miami Herald- Hotel-Online

Great link...try to include a bit of discussion as wel, though. On a recent trip to Surfside, I passed through a bit of the remaining MiMo collection in the area. These buildings are being dwarfed by theur new high-rise neighbors. I suppose the inexorable vertical redevelopment of the neighborhood is foreordained, but I take heart at the preservation efforts shown by this group.

I visited this area a few months back. From 75th all the way to Midtown. Drove around a couple of times, got out, took in the sites. VERY nice place indeed. Very impressed with that area!