New Tallest in Greenville?

erm1981

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article says this is going to be a combination of Hotel, Condos and Rental Apartments. I think as a concept and location it's going to be hard to make that work. That site is an island. It is disconnected from the downtown so as a hotel why would you stay there with other options right on main street or within half a block. I'd like to know if downtown can support another hotel with the Peacock and the Main and Broad Hotel coming on line. A 25+ story building is probably going to have in the neighbourhood of 100 condos, probably anywhere between 4-8 per floor for half the floors. The fact that the Peacock got downsized which is a similar type project I don't think bodes well for this concept. I'd be surprised and happily so if this project comes to fruition.

I think this site would have to be something truly special to make the project a success. Would the views provided by the tallest building do the trick?

Fortunately, parking should be easy to obtain as it has a connection with the Bi-Lo Center parking garage (although the off-site parking issue has been a difficult sell in our market), which would allow for more of the property to be used for occupants.

This does seem like a troublesome location for on site parking. It is surrounded on two sides by very busy one way streets, one of which has a monster retaining wall that presumably wouldn't be penetrable. Making a left from Church would also be a headache, if not impossible.

The location also seems to be out of the way of foot traffic and the downtown - is this even considered the CBD? I know that Church is the boundry for the DPC, so this would be out of design regualtions, which I'm sure would please the developer, and give Greenville its first chance for a truly modern highrise.

No matter what happens, ANYTHING would be an improvement to what stands in this spot currently. I've always kind of wondered why they had to demolish the old auditorium until someone needed the site. It was a lot more historic than many so called historic properties downtown (home to the last Lynard Skynard concert). It's been a big hole in the ground for 10+ years, and even filling it and putting a parking lot there would be cool with me. Hell, if the developer is serious, just give him the land to get him motivated.

I don't think that the Peacock's scale-back has any relevancy to this. That was a developer's money issues, not interest. A more interesting market test will be when McBee Station comes online.

Anyway, here's to Greenville's New Icon! :alc: (fingers crossed)

A tower would be perfect use of the gateway site, in my opinion. It is different in that it is not necessarily a prime location for street-level pedestrian activity, yet it has plenty of room for a self-contained plaza/terrace which could be used for the building's tenants and hotel guests. One would have to assume that some form of transportation such as free trolley servie would be available to take people to Main Street.

I'm really curious as to how this tower would fit on the site. It's a huge site and to go that tall, I'd assume the footprint would be a smaller one (you know, "Greenville sized"). I can't wait to see how they problem solve this as well as the other complications with this site.

This is great news for G'ville. :thumbsup:

I actually don't see the problems with the lcoation that many of you do. It's true that it's not AS pedestrian friendly as some other locations. That said, it's not that bad either. Additionally, what would the walk time be from there to Main? I don't see that as a real deterent either - especially given the likelihood that the CBD would expand in the direction of a building this big.

The impact a building like this will have on the G'ville skyline is amazing. Let's hope the design is attractive. :whistling:

Re: access and parking--there could be two easy rights into, say, a ground-level parking/drop-off area (with elevator and escalator svc to the lobby): one off of Church St. headed north, one on E. North headed nor'east. If they could create a doable turnaround on which one could immediately get back on Beattie from E. North, then access would be as easy as lots of buildings in larger cities.

I wonder how far down they could dig to create sub-surface on-site parking, or might they stack the hotel/residential on a few levels of parking? It'll be interesting to see how they propose to solve that problem.

IF it gets built at all, that is.

Wow, so they are meeting tonight. I wonder if we could hear something about this by tomorrow, then? Some sort of rendering or description of the project would be great.

I also wonder if this is the same company we heard about that recently sent the city a deposit along with the proposal.

Assuming the news story is correct, they are getting a great deal on the land. You aren't going to find many well-situated 2+ acre parcels of land downtown for less than $1 million/acre.

On the other hand, this could be the kind of development that really lures development away from Main, much like West End Field did and McBee Station will.

Archived