New Tallest in Greenville?

erm1981

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Greenville News has a story out tonight about the Gateway site. This thing sounds AWESOME! :yahoo:

Rick Thoennes III, one of the five partners, said the group plans to spend more than $100 million on the development. He said it would consist of "multiple towers that are connected in some form or fashion" and include a four-star hotel, two restaurants, apartments, condominiums and a fitness club. The partners plan to break ground in the spring of 2009, he said.

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...054/1004/NEWS01

The Greenville News has a story out tonight about the Gateway site. This thing sounds AWESOME! :yahoo:

Rick Thoennes III, one of the five partners, said the group plans to spend more than $100 million on the development. He said it would consist of "multiple towers that are connected in some form or fashion" and include a four-star hotel, two restaurants, apartments, condominiums and a fitness club. The partners plan to break ground in the spring of 2009, he said.

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...054/1004/NEWS01

Anyone know anything about the track reocrd of the devlopers? Have they had successful projects around gville? I love the sound of this, but will wait for something to materialize before getting to excited. Too many other projects have fallen through...

Track record not too good at the moment. They tried a big condo development near the outer banks in NC that didn't get past the pre-sales event. They have also been involved in the big condo project on Lake Keowee that raise all that fuss over in Oconee County over the last couple of years. So I am definitely taking a wait and see approach to this. If the site has "Actually" sold that's a good sign.

Maybe they feel like taking a risk? If they succeed then it could make them a lot of money plus benefit the city of Greenville. I dont think the Peacock site will stall for long. They might need certain materials or something. Sometimes our jobs stall for a week or two but not that often. I think it would have been better if Harper was building this building, but American constructors might have underbid Harper so you never know for sure. Im doubtful Harper even bid on it actually with all the other jobs they have going on at this time. I wish we would have been building a highrise downtown for Carolina First instead of the campus on I-85 but I guess its better than nothing...right?

-E

OK...we all seem to be fairly well grounded in reality here...we've seen enough of these proposals come forth and die of either slow, painful deaths or be aborted before they could have a chance.

So, let's get on with the speculation. The renderings are due out within 30 days, according to the WYFF story. There was mention that the towers would be connected somehow. In my mind, I can view this as being similar (but on a slightly smaller scale) to the Tradition Towers at Central and Rosalind in Orlando:

Tradition%20Towers1.jpg

I'm hoping for two towers ONLY joined at the base. I've heard the Sears tower in Chicago as being made up of 'several towers' though it's all one building. Also, I don't think a sky bridge would make sense seeing as it would connect apartments and condos or a hotel. Neither party should have a reason to get to the other tower... unless it were a restaurant space, which could be really neat.

While the shuttle seems like a good idea, I'm not sold on it. Why should the city spend money making the route to Main more inviting if they're just going to pile their residents and guests in a shuttle to reach other destinations downtown?? Encourage walking! It will make people healthier AND produce a healthier downtown for businesses.

While the shuttle seems like a good idea, I'm not sold on it. Why should the city spend money making the route to Main more inviting if they're just going to pile their residents and guests in a shuttle to reach other destinations downtown?? Encourage walking! It will make people healthier AND produce a healthier downtown for businesses.

A shuttle to cross Church? It's way too difficult to navigate any type of vehicle around the immediate area (which played into the decision to move the Fed Court House to a new site), so that doesn't make sense. They wouldn't be making it easier by any means. If anything, it'd be more dangerous, IMO. It's not hard to cross Church using the stoplights. It's a little intimidating at the moment, but it's not impossible. Obviously with the increased ped traffic, upgrades at the lights would be needed for added ease and safety, but I don't think we should give in so easily to writing off the cross-ability of Church Street.

I'm hoping for two towers ONLY joined at the base. I've heard the Sears tower in Chicago as being made up of 'several towers' though it's all one building. Also, I don't think a sky bridge would make sense seeing as it would connect apartments and condos or a hotel. Neither party should have a reason to get to the other tower... unless it were a restaurant space, which could be really neat.

As for crossing Church Street or East North - this could be accomplished quite easily given the proper crossing signals and traffic signals and it could be pedestrian-friendly and healthy both.

I'd agree that a shuttle seems a bit extreme. If they're actually referring to some expansion of Trolley service to the Gateway site and Bi-Lo Center area, then this would make more sense as it'd be a circulating shuttle service throughout downtown.

So glad to hear something about this potentially exciting project. I like the part about renderings being released within the next month. Here's hoping that the $1.8 million involve some sleek, progressive architecture that takes Greenville to another level. :thumbsup:

I think the current traffic and future traffic at this location would merrit pedistrian "sky" bridges as the most logical solution.

Speaking of traffic, this area becomes very messy as it is during rush hour. Logistically, how in the world (and where in the world) will the increased demand of tennant/retail/office parking get handled? In particular concern is making this the largest in the state (i.e. the most traffic). If the parking would be in the tower, can you imagine trying to get in and out of the garage and the congestion as a result? It wouldn't be the "gateway" site for long as most folks (myself included) will avoid this area like the plague. I can just see 385 backing up now and new visitors wondering why the heck a city our size has such terrible access.

P.S. I forgot to thank RT for the great renderings, VERY NICE!!! There were a bunch of interesting tower projects that were going up in Tampa a few years back, I could definately see something like a "sky-point" tower in that location.

As I understand it, the shuttle would originate at the hotel but do a circuit through DT. It wouldn't just cross CHurch St. That would be ridiculous. I envision this as a normal hotel shuttle, which is quite common, but it also serves the condo/apartment residents as well. It's a great idea in my book.

The entire DT Church St corridor would have to be reworked from a traffic signal/crossing standpoint in order to make this one intersection more pedestrian friendly. All of the lights on Church are timed to move traffic through quickly. Changing that for the benefit of pedestrians will cause more congestion on Church. SCDOT may not approve either. Currently drivers fly through the Church St. intersections trying to catch them all green. The lights are timed to allow just that. I should know, since I do it myself daily.

As for the congestion the project itself would cause, I don't see a problem. The existing garage will handle the bulk of it, and there is already a traffic light with a right turn directly into said garage.

I disagree that this site is worth a multiple of $1.8mm. If it were, someone else would have offered the city more for it. The site has obvious challenges (egress)as witnessed by the multitude of fallen-through deals.

Archived