New Tallest in Greenville?

erm1981

The group developing this site is Greenville Gateway Development LLC (Rick Thoennes III, Rick Thoennes Sr. and Tim Roberson). Anyone know much about these guys? Credible? :dontknow:

I have a concern that this is a local development group and as we've seen in the past, may grandstand a little upfront and then back down some. I'll definitely hope for the best on this one!

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...0/1003/BUSINESS

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The group developing this site is Greenville Gateway Development LLC (Rick Thoennes III, Rick Thoennes Sr. and Tim Roberson). Anyone know much about these guys? Credible? :dontknow:

I have a concern that this is a local development group and as we've seen in the past, may grandstand a little upfront and then back down some. I'll definitely hope for the best on this one!

Ok heres my two cents worth. If anyone is willing to wager money on this project making it then I want in. As we have all seen before, anytime its local developers at the helm of a project this big it will fall through. Im willing to bet that this building will be about 10-12 stories at the most. Why would you make all this fuss about a possible building if you havent even done a feasability study. Look at the peaacock....downsized. Look at the pinnacle....struggling to get off the ground. I want Greenville to have a beautiful high rise signature building. But if its up to local developers to do it, then Im not even going to get my hopes up. I will believe it when I see it. To me this is all just a bunch of hoopla to get some developers names in the media. Build it or shut up!!!

There probably won't be any renderings on this for a few weeks. The architecture firm that is involved does top notch work and will come up with a building that is unique and worthy of the site. My only worry is that this concept will prove not to be feasible so it'll falter.

Wow...this sounds incredible. I can't wait to see some renderings. Then, I look forward to a year of nothing happening. And it will be awesome when we see the re-designed 5-story building they decide to build instead. And then another year of nothing. And how amazing will it be when the development group backs out and we get to hear about all the exciting possibilities for the site? And finally, it's going to totally rock when they open up a Walgreen's on that corner in 2017.

Wow...this sounds incredible. I can't wait to see some renderings. Then, I look forward to a year of nothing happening. And it will be awesome when we see the re-designed 5-story building they decide to build instead. And then another year of nothing. And how amazing will it be when the development group backs out and we get to hear about all the exciting possibilities for the site? And finally, it's going to totally rock when they open up a Walgreen's on that corner in 2017.

I was really hoping that this building would have the affordability option going on, but the "high end hotel" statement worries me. It's far enough off the beaten path to be affordable, IMO, and also far enough off to hopefully spur development, though there is little land to do this on. I wish the court house didn't take up an entire block... <_<

Not too many condos have come on the market since the Camperdown. None more than average growth, I'd say. Since they at one time apparently had half of the condos spoken for (according to their press release), I'd say that a good number of the condos would go. Plus I think that Greenvillians have a genuine love for their city and will get jacked about the hype over the tower and some will put forward money to make this happen and to have their place in such an icon that it has potential to be. Yea, it's nothing scientific or promising, but it's just something to think about that could work in favor of this project. Because I REALLY hope this happens.

I was really hoping that this building would have the affordability option going on, but the "high end hotel" statement worries me. It's far enough off the beaten path to be affordable, IMO, and also far enough off to hopefully spur development, though there is little land to do this on. I wish the court house didn't take up an entire block... <_<

Not too many condos have come on the market since the Camperdown. None more than average growth, I'd say. Since they at one time apparently had half of the condos spoken for (according to their press release), I'd say that a good number of the condos would go. Plus I think that Greenvillians have a genuine love for their city and will get jacked about the hype over the tower and some will put forward money to make this happen and to have their place in such an icon that it has potential to be. Yea, it's nothing scientific or promising, but it's just something to think about that could work in favor of this project. Because I REALLY hope this happens.

OK...maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up or dream too much about this one, but I can't help but imagine what this site could be like with the proper building.

Here's a slightly modified Google Sketchup of One Penn Square West in Philadelphia by Zach Moore of Google:

543370076_4dd9c535fd_b.jpg

I've dubbed this one "One Gateway Plaza" and it'll have to do until I can get better at using sketchup. Believe it or not, this is only a 24 floor building (325 feet high). This would be the view of the Northwest Corner of Church and College.

Well I guess its all conjecture at this point. Look like the two parties will approve it next week. This makes me think that there are already some renderings, and at least some preliminary plans, as channel 4 said the parties say the "plans look good." On the other hand, I may be reading too much into that, but it seems to me you would need at least some preliminary renderings to get approval. As for being local developers, I think we at least need to give these guys a chance. I too will wait to get too excited about this one, but this group may be much more on top of things than some of the others. And since this does not include an HQ, I presume this has nothing to do with project skyline (which means that anouncement is still awaiting, whether good or bad).

The main reason for this initial gesture of agreement by the City (no documents have been signed) appears to be the fact that this developer requires virtually nothing from the City other than their approval. Most developments involve some sort of agreement requiring the City to take action in some way before the development is able to go forward. In this case, it appears that the City only needs to agree to the development, sell the property, and then let the developers do their work. This is obviously just a simple summary - I know it will involve more than that alone. :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a copy of the GSABusiness paper today. An article about the auditorium site was included (you can see the title, but not the article itself on the website). It stated sale of the land could close in about six months. It listed the possible building height at 20-25 stories (not sure what happened to the 25-27), pending a market study. It said the building would be "among the tallest in Gville." The article was pretty reassuring about the possibilities of it actually happening, though no timeframes were given. The developer said that a top floor restaurant is a definite goal (no mention of it being a rotating restaurant though). Sounds like a pretty good chance this one could happen, let's hope it's within our lifetimes. :thumbsup:

It is interesting how different sources have different information (or interpretation of the information) from the same primary source. One tells us it will definitely be the "tallest in the city," another says "among the tallest." As if that weren't enough, they can't agree on the number of floors proposed either. Interesting and a bit humorous, but I love the sound of a rooftop restaurant - something I have been wishing for a long time now. :thumbsup:

It's great to continue to hear about this development. Just to know that it's still on someone's mind (who matters to the development).

Of course, wasn't the Pinnacle suppose to be "one of Greenville's tallest". :rolleyes:

My only desire for this building is iconic and modern.

It is interesting how different sources have different information (or interpretation of the information) from the same primary source. One tells us it will definitely be the "tallest in the city," another says "among the tallest." As if that weren't enough, they can't agree on the number of floors proposed either. Interesting and a bit humorous, but I love the sound of a rooftop restaurant - something I have been wishing for a long time now. :thumbsup:

It doesn't make sense to me why a resturant would hold this up. If it's contained within the building, then no work can be done on it anyway until the shell is complete. And it will just an upfitting job. Still sounds fishy to me.

But I do welcome the resturant to draw pedestrian traffic past Beattie. :thumbsup:

I think it just a matter of things not being designed yet and height not decicded on, I think they maybe just don't know yet.

Also later in GSA was an article that said that the Pinnacle should start up again soon that things were put on hold while a restaurant for a national known person was being designed for the first floor. Right below that was an article that said Tyler Florence says that he has no plans for a restaurant in Greenville.

Archived