New Tallest in Greenville?

erm1981

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Agreed about some of their posted work. I could see something like the Helene Curtis tower on the Gateway Site. It's under the mixed use tab in the office section of the works. Something with advertising like that and just the colors and hip attitude it has... It would generate a lot of activity/excitement through its vibes. And the Tower would be edgy, but 'Greenville-ish' enough to fit in, but be unique. :)

Agreed about some of their posted work. I could see something like the Helene Curtis tower on the Gateway Site. It's under the mixed use tab in the office section of the works. Something with advertising like that and just the colors and hip attitude it has... It would generate a lot of activity/excitement through its vibes. And the Tower would be edgy, but 'Greenville-ish' enough to fit in, but be unique. :)

• 1 month later...
Ciao! Life in Italy is great! It's beautiful, of course, and reminds me of Montebello, which I guess should be the other way around. :silly: All of my professors here work through Clemson and continuously comment on Greenville as the direction that Genova is taking when talking about its efforts to revitalize. Yet, they've not been to Greenville in several years (pre-Liberty Bridge). I tell them that they wouldn't recognize it.

Sorry if my posts seem negative today. Im trying to be positive, but I guess Im just ready to see some results. Im really hoping that this site will have a signature building that will Showcase Greenville. Im pretty sure when all the studies are done, they will say theres not enough demand, or prices are too high, blah blah blah......Im going to try and keep a positive attitude towards this one.

I still think a mistake was made imploding Memorial Auditorium. That would have made a nice exhibit hall, or at least preserved it until something was in its place.

I think I've lost count how many proposals for building have been at that site the last 10 years.

Come to think it, Labor Day weekend 1997 was the date of the "Aud's" implosion, so it has been 10 years.

Those are interesting proposals, krazee. While I agree that they would add some much-needed pizazz to Greenville's skyline, I would be surprised to see it actually come to fruition in Greenville at this time. It would take a special developer to go for something like that. Even if someone did want to put a building like that in Greenville, would city leaders go for it?

I would say RiverPlace was fairly innovative and progressive being located in the heart of the city and on the Reedy River. Remember the approval of the original Peacock Hotel & Spa? They are likely to sign off on a unique contemporary design for the Federal courthouse as well, so adding interesting architecture shouldn't be a major concern - I trust anyway. :)

I like that tower, Krazee! I'd love for the developer of that site to sign a famous architect on board for the project, but I think a local architecture firm is going to be doing this project, or some aspect of it at least. Which, that doesn't mean bad things, but having a certain name associated with whatever the design may be would help getting it passed and would create an attraction of itself for downtown Greenville.

Archived