New Tallest in Greenville?

erm1981

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something with a spire would be great! I'm interested in seeing how they deal with the awkward nature of the site.

I'd like to see the building toward the back of the site at the point where Beattie and North Streets meet with restaurant seating outside at that point of the property. It could be an exciting place to have a meal when Bilo Center events are going on. Traffic and noise could be annoying, but traffic goes slower at that point anyway, and I don't think it'd be any worse than sitting outside of Wild Wings or Barley's on West Washington. And then on the Church Street side of things, have retail and more restaurant space as a part of a lower portion of the building with a piazza that includes a large water feature. I think a strong connection should be made with the pedestrian link over Beattie Place to link to the Bilo Center and utilize the parking garage.

I don't think they are still pushing for more retail/entertainment in that location though. I agree with you about having the component there on the site, but I would also love to see a nicely designed pedestrian bridge over Church Street to ease the apprehension related to crossing the very busy street on foot. If something like that is not built, then I don't know how well the retail or restaurant components would survive over the long term. I compare this block to the Heritage Green block, where currently in order to walk there, pedestrians are forced to make a gutsy dash across a very busy Academy Street, thus only a handful actually use that method. The City realizes this problem and is working on plans to build a pedestrian bridge over that street to increase safe pedestrian access to the many amenities of Heritage Green. The same should be considered for Church Street, in my opinion. :)

Why not build the tower there, and have enclosed "skyways" over Beattie and Church? That would actually tie into the Liberty Towers? or whatever they are next to the BiLo Center. I think that is the only way that a tower would work in the location. But then again, I'd be living in Greenville again and have grandkids before something is done with that site.

I don't think they are still pushing for more retail/entertainment in that location though. I agree with you about having the component there on the site, but I would also love to see a nicely designed pedestrian bridge over Church Street to ease the apprehension related to crossing the very busy street on foot. If something like that is not built, then I don't know how well the retail or restaurant components would survive over the long term. I compare this block to the Heritage Green block, where currently in order to walk there, pedestrians are forced to make a gutsy dash across a very busy Academy Street, thus only a handful actually use that method. The City realizes this problem and is working on plans to build a pedestrian bridge over that street to increase safe pedestrian access to the many amenities of Heritage Green. The same should be considered for Church Street, in my opinion. :)

If something like that is not built, then I don't know how well the retail or restaurant components would survive over the long term. I compare this block to the Heritage Green block, where currently in order to walk there, pedestrians are forced to make a gutsy dash across a very busy Academy Street, thus only a handful actually use that method. The City realizes this problem and is working on plans to build a pedestrian bridge over that street to increase safe pedestrian access to the many amenities of Heritage Green. The same should be considered for Church Street, in my opinion. :)

I'm not so sure I agree. A decent crosswalk will mitigate any concerns... granted, the ability to jaywalk will be much less safe here than in most parts of the city, but there's no reason to believe that an adequately timed crosswalk wouldn't do the job. Most cities have to deal with pedestrians crossing major roads... and do so without any major issues. If Greenville's going to get as dense as we would like, then the two will need to co-exist.

I have been to many events at the Auditorium and the BiLo Center and didn't have a lot of problems crossing Church St. at night. That was after rush hour traffic of course, and it helps to cross with a crowd.

If a pedestrian bridge was needed maybe it could be a curved bridge that rises at a gentle angle and loops over Church St. It would make some sense to build it going down from the hill at the intersection of Church and North. Maybe it could mimic the Fall Park Bridge and be a suspension bridge. The same for the possible bridge over Academy St. to Heritage Green. It would be a tie-in to Falls Park.

• 3 months later...

A little more info on the Gateway site. Apparently, it is planned to be the cities tallest building, and will include a hotel, condos, luxury apartments and a spa / fitness center. The article says the investore just paid 1.8 Billion for the site. If this is the case.....they should have no problems errecting the building, estimated at 100 million. Article from WYFF website:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/15056046/detail.html

1.8 BILLION?!? That seems like a MAJOR typo, but I assume they know what they're reporting... This could be the REAL deal, folks. So much for affordability with this development if they're throwing that kind of money around for the dirt.

Question: Does this include the entire block. From the "wedge" where North and Beattie break off, to Church? Including the buildings and the current mud pit?

1.8 BILLION?!? That seems like a MAJOR typo, but I assume they know what they're reporting... This could be the REAL deal, folks. So much for affordability with this development if they're throwing that kind of money around for the dirt.

Question: Does this include the entire block. From the "wedge" where North and Beattie break off, to Church? Including the buildings and the current mud pit?

A little more info on the Gateway site. Apparently, it is planned to be the cities tallest building, and will include a hotel, condos, luxury apartments and a spa / fitness center. The article says the investore just paid 1.8 Billion for the site. If this is the case.....they should have no problems errecting the building, estimated at 100 million. Article from WYFF website:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/15056046/detail.html

The Greenville News has a story out tonight about the Gateway site. This thing sounds AWESOME! :yahoo:

Rick Thoennes III, one of the five partners, said the group plans to spend more than $100 million on the development. He said it would consist of "multiple towers that are connected in some form or fashion" and include a four-star hotel, two restaurants, apartments, condominiums and a fitness club. The partners plan to break ground in the spring of 2009, he said.

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...054/1004/NEWS01

Archived