New Tallest in Greenville?

erm1981

As I understand it, the shuttle would originate at the hotel but do a circuit through DT. It wouldn't just cross CHurch St. That would be ridiculous. I envision this as a normal hotel shuttle, which is quite common, but it also serves the condo/apartment residents as well. It's a great idea in my book.

The entire DT Church St corridor would have to be reworked from a traffic signal/crossing standpoint in order to make this one intersection more pedestrian friendly. All of the lights on Church are timed to move traffic through quickly. Changing that for the benefit of pedestrians will cause more congestion on Church. SCDOT may not approve either. Currently drivers fly through the Church St. intersections trying to catch them all green. The lights are timed to allow just that. I should know, since I do it myself daily.

As for the congestion the project itself would cause, I don't see a problem. The existing garage will handle the bulk of it, and there is already a traffic light with a right turn directly into said garage.

I disagree that this site is worth a multiple of $1.8mm. If it were, someone else would have offered the city more for it. The site has obvious challenges (egress)as witnessed by the multitude of fallen-through deals.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Track record not too good at the moment. They tried a big condo development near the outer banks in NC that didn't get past the pre-sales event. They have also been involved in the big condo project on Lake Keowee that raise all that fuss over in Oconee County over the last couple of years. So I am definitely taking a wait and see approach to this. If the site has "Actually" sold that's a good sign.

IMO, Church Street simply isn't an issue. It is four lanes, with a turn lane. No median. Big deal.

Anytime there is function at Bi-Lo and people park at the Hyatt, they sure seem to make it across Church fine.....no issues.....no police directing traffic/pedstrians.......usually at the height of rush hour.

Church Street is a busy street, just like in any other city. What's the deal? :dontknow::dontknow:

IMO, Church Street simply isn't an issue. It is four lanes, with a turn lane. No median. Big deal.

Anytime there is function at Bi-Lo and people park at the Hyatt, they sure seem to make it across Church fine.....no issues.....no police directing traffic/pedstrians.......usually at the height of rush hour.

Church Street is a busy street, just like in any other city. What's the deal? :dontknow::dontknow:

I've been to plenty of large cities. Church and Academy are not the same type of street as Main, Spring or Richardson. Those streets, you are lucky to get more than a bloack without hitting a light. I ususually hit most of the Church Street lights green and occasionally every one is green. This allows the max speed limit which most people do or more.

if this weren't an issue why is the city so concerned with trying to 'bridge' Academy street to link Heritage Green with the Main Street corridor. The same issue exists.

Sure people cross it, and do every day, but most people feel uneasy about it and avoid it.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I will eat my hat when I see a new tallest in the state as a result of this particular purchase.

My money is on the developer spending some money on pretty designs, trying to presell a few things here and there, probably stretching things out for a year or so while property values go up, then backing out and selling to another developer for a profit.

Anyone takers on this bet? :P

As I understand it, the shuttle would originate at the hotel but do a circuit through DT. It wouldn't just cross CHurch St. That would be ridiculous. I envision this as a normal hotel shuttle, which is quite common, but it also serves the condo/apartment residents as well. It's a great idea in my book.

The entire DT Church St corridor would have to be reworked from a traffic signal/crossing standpoint in order to make this one intersection more pedestrian friendly. All of the lights on Church are timed to move traffic through quickly. Changing that for the benefit of pedestrians will cause more congestion on Church. SCDOT may not approve either. Currently drivers fly through the Church St. intersections trying to catch them all green. The lights are timed to allow just that. I should know, since I do it myself daily.

As for the congestion the project itself would cause, I don't see a problem. The existing garage will handle the bulk of it, and there is already a traffic light with a right turn directly into said garage.

I disagree that this site is worth a multiple of $1.8mm. If it were, someone else would have offered the city more for it. The site has obvious challenges (egress)as witnessed by the multitude of fallen-through deals.

Let me look into my crystal ball:

January 2008: Project announced

February 2008: 47-story building plan unveiled

October 2008: Market study

March 2009: Building downsized to 23 stories

July 2009: Developer announces, "we're getting close"

November 2009: Financing hits a snag

April 2010: Based on pre-sales, final plans scaled down to 8 stories

October 2010: "Things are progressing"

May 2011: Weeds are mowed

December 2011: Leaves are raked

June 2012: Advance America opens on the corner on Church and East North