Pick for a downtown hotel

New Name

Hey Tampa,

My wife and I are coming down in September and since I have agreed to give her a night in Orlando at Dinsey Animal Kingdom, I now get MY choice for a night in Tampa. I am a architecture geek and love a good dramatic, modern buidling, but I am far from wealthy (if I spend more than $200 on room, I'll have to explain myself...). So how bout some suggestions? My hopes would be to be right in downtown, so we can expore and see your downtown core.

To give you an idea, when we went to Atlanta we stayed at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis. It's an amazing building, and I was like a kid in a candy store. Here's a pic: You guys got anything cool like this?

ACVB_Marquis.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you want to venture outside of Orlando...the best you're gonna get in Tampa is nowhere near what you can get in Orlando. The Marriot World Centre, Ritz Carlton, JW Marriot, Omni Championsgate, Grand Bohemian are all amazing hotels in Orlando...forget Tampa!

Why would you want to venture outside of Orlando...the best you're gonna get in Tampa is nowhere near what you can get in Orlando. The Marriot World Centre, Ritz Carlton, JW Marriot, Omni Championsgate, Grand Bohemian are all amazing hotels in Orlando...forget Tampa!

I can't think of too much. Perhaps the Marriott or the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay. The latter isn't exactly downtown, but these are about the best hotels there. The Sheraton was renovated recently, but isn't too exciting. The old Floridan hotel is still under renovation. I'm not sure when it will reopen. Hope this helps a little.

How about the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel. Photo's look okay, location seems good (right?), and the price is the best out of all the passable downtown hotels.

Also, what's the area like on a Sunday night? We don't need to party down in the clubs, but it would be good if it wasn't a ghosttown.

How about the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel. Photo's look okay, location seems good (right?), and the price is the best out of all the passable downtown hotels.

Also, what's the area like on a Sunday night? We don't need to party down in the clubs, but it would be good if it wasn't a ghosttown.

Forget the Sheraton. It's on the water but not exactly a happening place. The Marriot Waterside AND the new Embassy Suites are 100 ft from each other and BOTH directly on the streetcar line. The Westin Harbour Island is a short (200 yard) and pleasant bridge walk away over the channel. You would be a 5 min walk to Channelside (a happening little place) from either hotel. The Marriott and Westin are both on the water. Under the Westin, is a happening restaurant (not part of the hotel) with outdoor seating called Jacksons. The ambience is great but except for the Sushi the food is pretty weak. In fact, I've hated both the in-hotel restaurants at the Marriott and the Westin. To eat, go elsewhere (ie. Ybor/South Howard/International Plaza/Boyscout Road).

Archived