Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOT

Another New Hotel?

17 posts in this topic

Did anyone else catch the quote from Mr. DeVos about a new 90 room hotel on top of one of the new Medical Mile buildings? It was in the last page of the GRBJ yesterday? He also was talking about the future of the Michigan/Monroe property.

Anyone?

wood radio was talking about it yesterday morning. There is a little discussion in the medical buidings thread.

Go figure ... another DeVos funded development? Does anyone else besides the Days Inn guy own a hotel outside of the Devos/Amway cronies? Huh, is it maybe starting to become apparent that there is a very private ownership of a public city? Just a thought.

Go figure ... another DeVos funded development? Does anyone else besides the Days Inn guy own a hotel outside of the Devos/Amway cronies? Huh, is it maybe starting to become apparent that there is a very private ownership of a public city? Just a thought.

More than a whisper, from what I hear. I guess that we will have to wait and see.

The city is not public. It's a collection of public and privately owned land (mostly privately owned). And yes, the Amway families do own a lot of real estate downtown, because they bought when everyone else was leaving. But I think they make up for their land hoarding by giving a lot back to the community in the form of funding for Spectrum Health, VAI, the arena, the convention center, the public museum center, the Civic Theater, the Symphony and Ballet Co., and a myriad of other community donations and support. This debate has gone on in this community for eons, but we would probably look a lot more like Flint or Detroit if they weren't around, IMO.

Ex-Detroiter,

I'd love to break one of our own rules that us moderators set and tell you that you are a fool and that you should go away... but I won't. ;)

Joe

Ex-Detroiter,

I'd love to break one of our own rules that us moderators set and tell you that you are a fool and that you should go away... but I won't. ;)

Joe

Well, unfortunately he does sort of almost have a point. Control all of the hotels in the DT area, control all the prices.

noone says other people cant build hotels DT... no one else wants to (except for the calder plaza proposal)

There is alot of whispering going on about another piece of property they recently purchased.

What is going on at the old Rowe hotel? Does anybody know?

Well, unfortunately he does sort of almost have a point. Control all of the hotels in the DT area, control all the prices.