US States Renamed For Countries With Similar GDPs

Neo

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had recently discovered this map too!

The one that boggles my mind the most is New Jersey/Russia. It takes Russia's 142,000,000 people, and half the Eurasian continent to equal New Jersey's economy. And New Jersey only has 8 million people, and is the geographic size of Estonia.

These are just 50 of the reasons the US government cannot trust the intentions of other countries and mandates from political institutions like the UN. The US is the preeminent economic power and people around the world will always be looking to limit it.

Japan, China, Germany and the UK are the only countries that have bigger economies than any one state.

GDP as of 2005, in trillions of $

US is 12.416

Japan is 4.53

Germany is 2.79

China is 2.23

The UK is 2.198

These are just 50 of the reasons the US government cannot trust the intentions of other countries and mandates from political institutions like the UN. The US is the preeminent economic power and people around the world will always be looking to limit it.

Japan, China, Germany and the UK are the only countries that have bigger economies than any one state.

GDP as of 2005, in trillions of $

US is 12.416

Japan is 4.53

Germany is 2.79

China is 2.23

The UK is 2.198

Cool map, but I'm not too sure of the accuracy of some of the info. On the link, it has NY listed as the #7 state in terms of GDP behind CA, TX, FL, IL, NJ and OH. That doesn't seem right, I would think it was #3 behind CA and TX.

For what its worth, the Canadian economy is worth $1.495 trillion CDN.

Source: http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/indi02a.htm

The CDN is on a pathway to reach parity with the USD by the end of this year. If so, that means the GDP of Canada will be worth roughly $1.5 trillion USD before the end of the year for 2007.

Canada has a population of 33 million.

California has a population of 35.2 million and a GDP of $2.15 trillion USD, Texas has a population of 22.2 million and a GDP of $1.08 trillion USD.

Source: http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2007/06/1...h-similar-gdps/

Canada also is the only G7 and G8 nation that has consistently posted national balanced budgets for nearly a decade now.

For a long time I didn't realize the difference between G7 and G8:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G8

Personally I believe the best way to measure a nation-state's economy is how that economy directly affects the individual. For example, if Nation A's economy is smaller than Nation B's but the wealth of the average Joe in Nation A is higher than Nation B's average Joe, then Nation A would have the better economy.

^Agreed. The United States has a dynamic economy, but in the western world its become an economy (increasingly since the 1980's as opposed to decreasing as it was from the 1930's to 1970's after the Gilded Age and rebirth of the Progressive era) that is highly polarized with groups of extremely wealthy, extremely poor and a middle class that is being stretched thin and harder to reach.

• 2 weeks later...

No one has posted here lately, and I would still be interested in hearing others' thoughts of this map.

The USA is known by everyone to be the richest and most prosperous nation on earth, and this map spells it out quite clearly. And it's a fact we have all known since we were old enough to understand such things.

I'm still literally blown away by the implications of this map. New York's economy is equal to that of an immense country like Brazil! Michigan's economy is equal to Argentina's. California's economy is the size of the French economy, and Cal. has one-third the population of France!

Through all the faults of our economic/social system, and all the other huge problems our country and people face, we are doing SOMETHING right.:)

Archived