Statesboro Off-Topic

ironchapman

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats up with that truck crashing into the Timesaver to steal an ATM? This is the second time in the last few years the 'crashing into a time-saver' technique has been used to burglarize a TimeSaver. And the car striking the black bear - that made me sad... the bear looked really sad too. And its so like Statesboro cops to automatically assume that the college student had to have been on some 'chemicals' when she reported seeing a bear near her home. They obviously hate college students.

Edited by andremurra

Pictures from Monday's non-tornado

billboardcr0.jpg

Steel Billboard Blown Over

treeei8.jpg

Uprooted Tree

A huge tree fell on my best friends car as he was about to get inside of it. It crushed the hood, shattered the headlights, pretty much totaled the front part of the mustang. I had to sit in my car for 30 minutes in my back yard before I got out to run inside - I couldnt even see outside my car windows.

I don't live but a couple of minutes away from where all of those pictures up there were taken.

I had just gotten home from town before it started, and I'm glad I did. The wind was blowing so hard it actually blew the rain under our backdoor and made a pretty big puddle in the floor. It took us almost 2 hours to pick up the "debris" from the yard.

Edited by MorganA15

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did anybody run into the traffic on the bypass this afternoon? It took me 15 minutes to get from Brannen Street to 67 - and I didn't hit the stop-and-go part of it until about the big pond. At one point I looked in my rear view mirror and it looked as if it could have easily reached 80.

I know it's move-in weekend, but honestly, I've never seen it that bad.

Edited by MorganA15

• 2 weeks later...

The Saturday before school started, there was a line of stopped cars on the bypass from Walmart to 67. Non-moving traffic - it was hilarious. I bet those people felt stupid for getting in that traffic jam. Anyways, I am sooo swamped with classes and other stuff, its crazy. I am taking:

REDV 4131 - Applied Econometrics and Regional Analysis

GEOG 3440 - Intro to Geographic Information Science and Cartography (2nd time, since they decided to finally hire an English-speaking professor).

MKTG 3131 - Principles of Marketing

PHYS 1149 - Environmental Physics

The Econometrics class is going to be a challenge, but exciting because I get to do a semester project. The GIS class is going to be fun since the man speaks English and I the books didnt cost $500 this time, only $30 each! In addition to that I might be on SGA this year (which is a BIG deal), Im on staff with the GSA, serving on the Multi-Cultural Advisory Council, doing CCF, XA, Bridgeway, LeaderShape follow-up, ODE, as well as planning some huge events for the campus this upcoming year. I am stressed!!! I usually leave home at 8am and get back at midnight or later. Weekends are for partying. Anyway, I rarely have time to update on here, but there is so much going on in Statesboro its amazing!!

• 3 months later...

I believe it was Machholz - except its path is slightly different from the website. It flew thru the triangle shown at the top of the page. It was also extremely bright when we noticed it, but about an hour later is was extremely dim, like just a hazy cloud. It was so bright at first that my Dad called to tell us that he just randomly saw it in the sky while working. Odd.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/come...olz_041207.html

Or after reading your second article, maybe it was holmes, because it was extremely bright at first, but I wouldnt say that it was larger than the sun - lol. That would be slightly freaky.

So this is totally off topic - does anyone think anything major is going to happen on Dec 21, 2012? lol - no really, Im serious.

Edited by andremurra

• 1 month later...

I am from Atlanta and only lived down here for one year, and I have to admit It was quite an experience for a 16 year old that grew up in Atlanta's Buckhead District to experience Southeast Georgia for the first time. I sware I had never seen cows up close before, or the fast amount crop fields that dominated the county, and then the nats were also an experience as they swarmed on me like a small army invasion, as we do not have nats in North Georgia, or at least not that intense. It was quite a change also spended my Sophmore year at S.E. Bullock High School with classroom windows that had corn fields on one side facing the classroom windows and cow pastures on the other side.

We lived in Brooklet off the main highway that takes you into Statesboro, and the street at that time was a dirt road and named Turn Here Rd.!! :lol: It had cow patures on the right side of our leased home where my bedrooms window faced a cow pasture and the front bedroom window faced a tobacco field. Wow, what a change that was.

But I discovered something other than what I just mentioned that I had never experienced before. The people in Bullock County were so extremely friendly and even waved at us when we were passing by them in the car. I mean they had the driver's side windows rolled down and stuck out thier arm and waved at us!!! Now in Atlanta, the only time someone would stick their arm out and hand out the window to give you a message, it wasn't hello but the finger letting you know you were intruding on their traffic pass and you better screw off!!

I really liked Brooklet and Statesboro and missed the very freindly people when my family and I moved back to Buckhead in the summer of 1979.

I am soooo impressed at how Statesboro and Brooklet have grown since the late 70's. And the Georgia Southern University Campus is alsolutley amazing. :thumbsup:

I miss Bullock County and only experienced wonderfull memories and times when I lived down in Southeast Gerogia!!!! :)

Edited by kennethdisraili

• 1 year later...

Ok yall, I am going to try to revive this city forum by introducing some new threads to be a little more organized so we dont blabber on every topic for 25 pages. I know that there have not been much posting going on for the last year, but a lot has happened during that time, we have just been lazy. I am about to move to Atlanta, but want to remain updated on whats going on down here, so lets get active again - Im going to try to remain active too.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok yall, I am going to try to revive this city forum by introducing some new threads to be a little more organized so we dont blabber on every topic for 25 pages. I know that there have not been much posting going on for the last year, but a lot has happened during that time, we have just been lazy. I am about to move to Atlanta, but want to remain updated on whats going on down here, so lets get active again - Im going to try to remain active too.