25-story tower announced for Portsmouth waterfront

Surferheel

I agree with the Hawaii comparison, but I still like it I think. Again, more renderings will have to come out before it can be accurately judged.

One complaint (and this is the ONLY one --- I love it otherwise as a project for Portsmouth), is the height. I don't like that it is apparently almost EXACTLY the same height as Harbor Tower (the brick tower to the left in case no one is familiar with the name). I wish this tower was either a bit taller, maybe just another 5 floors, or a bit shorter, again say 5 floors. I think that would really give the Portsmouth skyline some focus.

And guys, I don't believe the other towers are dead at all. When the 6 towers were announced, there was a slew of renderings released, including ones for a tower by Harbor Tower --- everything else focused on properties further south. I think those will come along in a few years and probably won't be the same as the original proposals, but they will come and patience will be the key :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The story has been updated again:

In 2004, a non profit organization composed of the city, Portsmouth's Redevelopment and Housing Authority and the private Portsmouth Partnership bought the hotel for $6.7 million. Warren said if negotiations with Lincoln go as planned, the hotel would be closed by the end of 2008, when demolition would begin. Lincoln officials have said it would take four years to build all phases of its project. Lincoln beat out two companies with local ties in the bidding process, but officials said the city's decision was unanimous. Lincoln, they said, had the best range and the most flexibility in dealing with the city's character and its finances.

"They're a national player," said David Tynch, president of the Greater Portsmouth Development Corp. "They just had the best project all the way around."

And guys, I don't believe the other towers are dead at all. When the 6 towers were announced, there was a slew of renderings released, including ones for a tower by Harbor Tower --- everything else focused on properties further south. I think those will come along in a few years and probably won't be the same as the original proposals, but they will come and patience will be the key :)

I think I agree with most when I say the development concept is great! I love the mixed use element, and I like how they're going for buildings of varying heights. What I don't like is the uniformity in design elements. It's tough to find the balance between "out of place" hodgepodges and too-similar uniformity that makes it look like a giant complex invading the downtown skyline. If these were resketched to make a concept in which the buildings all "go" together without having the effect Renaissance Center has on Detroit, then we're in EXCELLENT shape!

But anyway, this is great news and I look forward to tracking this as it progresses! WTG P-city!

Uh, Not really: A) the marina you speak of is located on the right side of this sketch (from the viewer's perspective), but is not in view. B) Unless you're planning to ram your sailboat into the pier, you don't run up full sail when your right next to it.

The larger sketch shows off a lot more details and my impression is that it is quite nice. It'll be interesting to see how it changes over time. Anyone wanna take odds on what gets completed first, the Granby Tower or this 25-Story tower?

That point in this rendering is just about the finish line for next weekend's annual Cock Island Race at Mile Marker Zero. Come out and you will see over 100 sailboats, of all sizes, under full sail, running for the finish line.

So, yes -- you would be under full sail and be right in the middle of the Elizabeth River channel at that point. Last year's finish was action packed, with a squall line out of the south that caused frantic tacks back and forth to -- just as a container ship pulled out of PMT!

That point in this rendering is just about the finish line for next weekend's annual Cock Island Race at Mile Marker Zero. Come out and you will see over 100 sailboats, of all sizes, under full sail, running for the finish line.

So, yes -- you would be under full sail and be right in the middle of the Elizabeth River channel at that point. Last year's finish was action packed, with a squall line out of the south that caused frantic tacks back and forth to -- just as a container ship pulled out of PMT!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was a good choice. For some reason, though, I'd always thought that a (smaller) hotel would be part of the redeveloped property. I wonder if someone else will come along and build another hotel- possibly on the other side of High Street? I know that demand might not be at the level yet that would support another large hotel, but a good small hotel could work.

On the waterfront

With uneasy anticipation I had awaited the announcement of the project for the Holiday Inn site on the Portsmouth waterfront. What was shown on the front page of your June 13 edition is a far cry from the potential there. In size, mass and architectural features, it is totally at odds with the immediately adjacent Olde Towne Historic District.

I know Les French. He lives in Olde Towne- not in one of the high-rises where the view might be impeded, however. To be fair, he does have a valid point. The drawings are sketchy at best and the reality has the potential to be very different from the drawing. On the plus side, however, I firmly believe that this will be a big improvement over the existing building. Furthermore, I think the selection of Lincoln Properties sugests that the towers will not be horrible. While many may scoff at those who are critical of development, I have known Mr. French from meetings of the Olde Towne Civic League and have found him to be both knowledgeable and reasonable.

• 1 month later...

I agree. I think it would be better if efforts for affirmative action in developmental proposals were concentrated in the suburbs, where they could make more of a difference. Why hurt the central cities by making development difficult there? Besides, presumably the best proposal benefits the most in the long run.

<_< What the hell? Stop being sore losers and move on. I'm black and that hasn't stopped me from getting good jobs if I'm qualified and work hard enough. Perhaps these people just had a better proposal. I don't think that race has any place in this discussion. Lets do what's good for Portsmouth instead of what's good for our egos here.

Archived