25-story tower announced for Portsmouth waterfront

Surferheel

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is all dollars and cents. If you were the city would you take a loss in tax revenue just to have a minority developer? Look at what the projected tax revenue would be in the first 10 years. Its just a smart business move and on top of that they want more public money, alot more public money. I think that the city made a smart move. Also, the other renderings look 100 times better.

This has NOTHING to do with race, and everything to do with money. The losers had a $15M delta -- guess where that $15M likely would have wound up?

What is especially offensive is the use of the plight of Portsmouth's neediest citizens to enrich a few politically well connected blacks. These four, with their paid lap dog, Ken Melvin, won't put a penny in the pockets of Norcom grads who want to go to college, but can't afford it. They won't contribute to Habitiat homes for deserving families. But they will play the race card to enrich themselves, at the public's expense. Can't really blame them -- they just looked across the water and saw the deals that Keith Newby and Robert Johnson got.

Would be interesting to examine contributions records for Melvin and look for Marriner, Wright, Morrison and Moody's names. No time today, but I will over the weekend.

Shameful, but not surprising

Isn't Portsmouth requiring minority participation as part of their agreement with Lincoln Co.? At least, that's what I understood from the article. If it is true, then race definitely should not be an issue. I'll give the rival group credit for the "Portsmouth Towne Centre" building on Effingham. But if they think they should win the bid by asking the city to waive taxes for 10 years while Lincoln Co is willing to pay taxes, then they're nuts. Maybe this is all a ploy to become the minority partners that Portsmouth is requiring Lincoln Co to have. Basically saying: fine, you can be part of the development as the required minority ownership, now will you please stop complaining about a transparent process that didn't break your way.

Isn't Portsmouth requiring minority participation as part of their agreement with Lincoln Co.? At least, that's what I understood from the article. If it is true, then race definitely should not be an issue. I'll give the rival group credit for the "Portsmouth Towne Centre" building on Effingham. But if they think they should win the bid by asking the city to waive taxes for 10 years while Lincoln Co is willing to pay taxes, then they're nuts. Maybe this is all a ploy to become the minority partners that Portsmouth is requiring Lincoln Co to have. Basically saying: fine, you can be part of the development as the required minority ownership, now will you please stop complaining about a transparent process that didn't break your way.

Black clout evident in portside project

This is actually a pretty good editorial

A number OF black leaders in Portsmouth are angry that the City Council chose Dallas-based Lincoln Property Co. to develop a prime piece of land in the city's resurgent downtown over a developer who had recruited four local black investors for the project.

Not too many years ago, the weight of history would have given heft to the mere accusation of racial inequity. But in the new Portsmouth that has emerged in recent years, such accusations are more of an opportunity to showcase racial dynamics that are moving in the right direction. Portsmouth's black citizens have powerful voices at the bargaining table.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived