Charlotte on ABC's Nightline

DigitalSky

Did anyone catch tonight's Nightline on ABC- the first segment talked about the booming housing market in Charlotte, as the rest of the country is in a bust? It gave Charlotte a lot of good airtime (and they didn't have to attach the 'NC' at the end either!)

Here is a link to the story: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=3270122&page=1

cb_charlotte_070612_ms.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People who don't know about Charlotte now, have a pretty good idea now if they watched that program. This was very positive coverage of the queen city. I enjoyed when Hugh McColl said something like "Many people think Charlotte is just some overgrown country town, but its really much more than that."

Oh boy that last line is so true: "Even if it does mean strip mall after strip mall, gated community after gated community." Yup, that's Charlotte.

Here's a great example of journalism:

"the Carolinas surpassed Florida several years back as the No. 1 retirement state in the country"

I didn't know the Carolinas was a state. :rolleyes:

It's great to hear that NC did not have to be mentioned at all in the article for both Charlotte and Raleigh. Overall, good news for Charlotte, we've definitely got even more people looking our way now.

Although mostly like a real estate infomercial, focusing on one realtor, I did like the positive feeling the show gave about the QC. Liked the skyline aeriels. The realtor said "Panthers Stadium" seats 80,000...more like 72,000+. Unfortunate that the link to the printed version on ABC does use the "NC", even though the video did not, except at the very end of the piece. George Washington may have called Charlotte a "triffling place" in his diary, but Hugh McColl pointing out the uptown farmer's market and remarking we're not a "one horse town" was unnecessary. Believe it or not, I vividly remember CBS news doing a story from Charlotte in the very eary sixties, and even then the reporter started his story by saying "Charlotte, North Carolina, a city proud of its skyline...". It's great that "Nightline" featured our city in their story, but from now on people (you, too, Hugh, act like you've been there). Comments like that is why we keep getting the dreaded North Carolina tagged on to our city's name. Still, some good pub for the city!

People who don't know about Charlotte now, have a pretty good idea now if they watched that program. This was very positive coverage of the queen city. I enjoyed when Hugh McColl said something like "Many people think Charlotte is just some overgrown country town, but its really much more than that."

I did not get a chance to see the show but the last sentence of the article was a bit of a backhanded compliment on Charlotte and for that matter most sunbelt cities propensity towards unchecked sprawl, which is an unfortunate fact. I do think the tight shot of Uptown on the page was very nice :hi: and made our city look quite green and Jetson like! The Jetsons are my favorite cartoon!

That picture is a stock photo from corbis.com, I recognized it instantly. Go to Corbis.com and search 42-15668603 (RF) and you will find where they found that picture.

Archived