Cleveland Gambles on Bus Rapid Transit

monsoon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's good to hear that they want to invest that much into public transportation. I'd prefer to have LRT over BRT, but something is better than nothing. At least Cleveland can get theit act together to build something. Us Detroiters are left with Coleman's train to nowhere and an unreliable city bus system!

Whoa those are pretty cool buses, but I would rather see LRT.

I was thinking though, it should be relatively easy to convert the BRT routse to LRT later on if there is enough passenger demand. All they'd have to do is lay down some tracks. It wouldn't be that costly because they'd already have the land, so they wouldn't need to go through all kinds of land aquisiton deals.

monsoon wrote:

The Cleveland system will be the first in the nation to incorporate many of the features of so-called bus rapid transit. The idea is to provide the speed and comfort of commuter rail travel at a lower cost by running special routes on city streets. Travel time from Public Square to University Circle is estimated at 20 minutes 10 minutes faster than the current bus ride. fleet of 21 extra-long buses unlike anything used today in the United States.

First in the nation? I think thats great for Cleveland but I didnt see that in the article, I know other cities have similar programs (not approved by the govt. agency mentioned), but I don't understand how it is the first in anything. Help me out there.

Guest donaltopablo

I'm a little confused as well. Boston has BRT (silver line), so I'm not sure how this is the first just yet. Maybe first of that certain BRT technology?

I'm a little confused as well.  Boston has BRT (silver line), so I'm not sure how this is the first just yet.  Maybe first of that certain BRT technology?

I just assumed that it was certain aspects of BRT technology that will be used for the first time in Cleveland.

Guest donaltopablo

Interesting, although if that is the case it would be a good pilot for Atlanta's two BRT lines that are suppose to be coming online before the end of the decade. Atlanta's BRT for the most part operates along the freeway and as a commuter rail system, rather than a street level/urban system.

Charlotte is also contemplating a couple of BRT lines, but there is a fierce debate over putting that or spending the money for a full LRT.

Hey, at least you will get something out of it. LRT may be better than BRT, but BRT is still much better than nothing. We've still got the giant roads vs. mass transit debates going on. Everyone knows that Detroit needs mass transit, but nobody will pay for it. Not that paying for it is an issue, seeing as how they refuse to study LRT at all.....

• 1 month later...

FYI -- Cleveland already has rapid transit from Public Square to University Circle, but this is an additional line that runs along Euclid Avenue, as opposed to the existing rail lines which run a bit south of this.

The new line should be very interesting; I hope it will be a success.

Archived